Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sunroof open stuck parts plastic cover cables FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loren Todd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know where I can get number 13 in this diagram?
I'm also looking for all the plastic covers except the left corner one.
Thanks.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
matt94gt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Sunroof not flush? Reply with quote

Loren Todd wrote:
Does anyone know where I can get number 13 in this diagram?
I'm also looking for all the plastic covers except the left corner one.
Thanks.

Try this guy:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1503020

-------

So I posted this in the other sunroof thread but got no activity so reposting here.

So I got the sunroof taken apart with a friend and we cleaned and greased everything. Put it all back together and everything was good (I think).

A few weeks ago I popped off the plastic cover thats over the gear. I wanted to add a bit more grease, as we were a bit light on it. Anyways I was not thinking clearly and forgot to put in the little square metal piece so when I went to crank it close it slipped, I only did about 1/4 crank. So I took off the cover again and made sure it was all back together, the cables obviously slipped but I didn't think much of it and just pushed them back down so they were in contact with the teeth of the gear. (pic below of what Im talking about)

Fastforward a few weeks, I went to wash my bus yesterday and noticed one side of the sunroof does not seem to sit flush with the roof. Im almost positive that it was not like this BEFORE or AFTER taking apart the sunroof. Could this of happened when the cables slipped and now one cable is tightening slightly more than the other? Or could it of happened by driving with the sunroof open?

I read that VW sunroof guide which talks about some tests and adjustments but I thought I would post here first.

Side that has the issue

Other side for comparison

Thoughts?

Build thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7257521
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pull the handle off and the gear out from below. Push the sunroof open somewhere between about 6 - 24 inches open until it feels like it is sliding freely. Then put the gear back in. That will tension the cables evenly. Then read Bentley on how to adjust sunroofs if it doesn't close all the way properly.
matt94gt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
pull the handle off and the gear out from below. Push the sunroof open somewhere between about 6 - 24 inches open until it feels like it is sliding freely. Then put the gear back in. That will tension the cables evenly. Then read Bentley on how to adjust sunroofs if it doesn't close all the way properly.

Thank you. I have a PDF version of the bentley and I cant find the sunroof page, any idea what page its on the index isn't very helpful to me. I did see some techniques on resetting it in the VW Sunroof Manual though.

So do you think the cranking with the cover off caused the cables to not be even, which is causing this issue? Made sense to me but I'd love a 2nd opinion.

As well do I pull the handle off when its completely closed, or can I open it up a bit so I can get my hands in there to push it open?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Build thread:
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt94gt wrote:
SGKent wrote:

Thank you. I have a PDF version of the bentley and I cant find the sunroof page, any idea what page its on the index isn't very helpful to me. I did see some techniques on resetting it in the VW Sunroof Manual though.

So do you think the cranking with the cover off caused the cables to not be even, which is causing this issue? Made sense to me but I'd love a 2nd opinion.

As well do I pull the handle off when its completely closed, or can I open it up a bit so I can get my hands in there to push it open?

If the cables will open it a little - yes. if it is too hard you will strip them. All you need is enough to get your hand in there to push when the gear is pulled off.

Step up to the plate and buy a Bentley. If the PDF is the full book it is there too. Look in the autobody section as I recall.
matt94gt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
matt94gt wrote:
SGKent wrote:

If the cables will open it a little - yes. if it is too hard you will strip them. All you need is enough to get your hand in there to push when the gear is pulled off.

Step up to the plate and buy a Bentley. If the PDF is the full book it is there too. Look in the autobody section as I recall.

Thanks a lot, as of right now it seems to open and close perfectly. I just want to find out why its not closing perfectly on the one side. I found it thanks to your help, page #40.

Build thread:
bdanzansky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Type 2 Sunroof Part Reply with quote

Seeking any suggestions to find 241-877-375 Part. It's the top cover for the sunroof crank for a 1970 Type 2. Any thoughts or suggestions.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Type 2 Sunroof Part Reply with quote

bdanzansky wrote:
Seeking any suggestions to find 241-877-375 Part. It's the top cover for the sunroof crank for a 1970 Type 2. Any thoughts or suggestions.

It is NLA and no reproductions are made. You can find used only at this time. Good Luck.
matt94gt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Type 2 Sunroof Part Reply with quote

bdanzansky wrote:

Do you have a picture of the piece? I found a site the other day with lots of parts stuff.

You mean #14 here?

If so no they dont make them, has anyone tried a bug one? I know they make them for bugs, I doubt they will work but just curious. They look very similar.

Build thread:
chimneyfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt94gt wrote:
You mean #14 here?

Is this #14 or #12?

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/117877369A/sunroof-centre-guide-64-77/?src=slider

VW Heritage here in the UK seem to have been expanding their sunroof parts, importing repro parts from the USA. If you scroll to the bottom of the page above, you can then scroll through other parts (the search facility on the site seems a bit hit and miss, 'sun roof', sunroof, etc).

They sent a newsletter today saying they have these in stock:

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/241877300/plastic-...gn=Plastic Guides, Sunroof, T2 68-77, 3pc Kit&utm_medium=email+&utm_source=AppEmail&utm_content=New products newsletter

Don't know if this information is any help, but I like to see sunroof buses being looked after, respect to all of you for keeping these sunroof buses alive.
1972 T2 Camper (Devon), 1988 Golf, 1972 Type 1, 1984 Polo, 1972 T2 Camper (Danbury)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the three pieces that are outer are reproduced by EIS. Same as the cables - EIS. The center piece has several variants although I think BUT AM NOT SURE the late one will work on all. The center piece is made of several parts. There is also the lower part which is plastic in some early bays and metal in later bays. The link in a prior post is to the metal bottom part, not the cover. I have not found a good enough center piece to send to EIS to be reproduced. The one I have is warped. If i can find the time to heat it slowly maybe I can straighten it. The problem with reproducing these pieces is that they cost a lot to make and the piece being replicated needs to be near new because any flaws get reproduced.
matt94gt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
the three pieces that are outer are reproduced by EIS. Same as the cables - EIS. The center piece has several variants although I think BUT AM NOT SURE the late one will work on all. The center piece is made of several parts. There is also the lower part which is plastic in some early bays and metal in later bays. The link in a prior post is to the metal bottom part, not the cover. I have not found a good enough center piece to send to EIS to be reproduced. The one I have is warped. If i can find the time to heat it slowly maybe I can straighten it. The problem with reproducing these pieces is that they cost a lot to make and the piece being replicated needs to be near new because any flaws get reproduced.

Mine is in good shape. A few hairline cracks on the top from being over tightened near the screw, or maybe just wear and tear. Ill try to get better pics this weekend.

Build thread:
dionski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: vanagon sunroof Reply with quote

I have some vanagon sunroof questions--hope they are not out of place here.

I've been having problems for a while with one of the rear corners of the roof not coming up all the way when closed. I've messed with the adjusters as per Bentley but haven't gotten much satisfaction. It's almost as though I need to tighten the cable on that side. But I don't know how to access the the crank/cog cable interface. Do I need to pull out the headliner to get in there? I can't find this addressed in Bentley. I think that the cog is worn so there seem to be a couple of reasons I need to get in there. If I do get in there, will it be obvious how to tighten the cable? And is there a manual for the Vanagon sunroof like the one that was linked earlier in this thread?

My rear drain are completely clogged. When I bought the van it had sat in the woods in oregon an entire winter with the roof partly open so the rear space that the roof slides into when opened if pretty much full of debris. I plan to remove the entire sunroof assembly and was hoping that I could scarf everything out with a broom handle or something but a VW mechanic that I talked to said that I would need to remove the headliner and then drop the tray which forms the bottom of the space that receives the open sunroof. True? I wasn't aware that this tray existed. Again, I don't find mention of it in Bentley.

Thanks in advance for any help, even if it's just letting me know that I'm screwed.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: vanagon sunroof Reply with quote

dionski wrote:
I have some vanagon sunroof questions--hope they are not out of place here.

I've been having problems for a while with one of the rear corners of the roof not coming up all the way when closed. I've messed with the adjusters as per Bentley but haven't gotten much satisfaction. It's almost as though I need to tighten the cable on that side. But I don't know how to access the the crank/cog cable interface. Do I need to pull out the headliner to get in there? I can't find this addressed in Bentley. I think that the cog is worn so there seem to be a couple of reasons I need to get in there. If I do get in there, will it be obvious how to tighten the cable? And is there a manual for the Vanagon sunroof like the one that was linked earlier in this thread?

My rear drain are completely clogged. When I bought the van it had sat in the woods in oregon an entire winter with the roof partly open so the rear space that the roof slides into when opened if pretty much full of debris. I plan to remove the entire sunroof assembly and was hoping that I could scarf everything out with a broom handle or something but a VW mechanic that I talked to said that I would need to remove the headliner and then drop the tray which forms the bottom of the space that receives the open sunroof. True? I wasn't aware that this tray existed. Again, I don't find mention of it in Bentley.

Thanks in advance for any help, even if it's just letting me know that I'm screwed.

on a bay the gear comes out downwards inside the bus. On a bay if the cable is stripped you have to take the gear out then use your hands to put the roof back as someone lightly hits the back of the sunroof so it drops as it slides back. On a bay you then part the front of the inside slider with the outer slider and take out the clips for safe keeping. Then on a bay the inside panel slides back and you can access the outer panel to remove it. Once it is off you can access the rails and cables. On a bay if you pry on the inner panel, especially the sides, you are in big trouble as that will jam everything very badly. It is the equal of putting rocks around skateboards and expecting them to roll.
dionski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: vanagon sunroof Reply with quote

on a bay the gear comes out downwards inside the bus. On a bay if the cable is stripped you have to take the gear out then use your hands to put the roof back as someone lightly hits the back of the sunroof so it drops as it slides back. On a bay you then part the front of the inside slider with the outer slider and take out the clips for safe keeping. Then on a bay the inside panel slides back and you can access the outer panel to remove it. Once it is off you can access the rails and cables. On a bay if you pry on the inner panel, especially the sides, you are in big trouble as that will jam everything very badly. It is the equal of putting rocks around skateboards and expecting them to roll.[/quote]

Thanks for that! Just to confirm, "bay" sunroofs are essentially the same on vanagons and buses? Unfortunately the crank is not located in the same place on vanagons as it is on buses.

In order for the gear to be removed downward inside the vanagon, the headliner would have to be removed first, yes or no?

I think I know what you're referring to when you say "rails" and "sliders" but I don't have a clue what you mean by "panels".

On the vanagon I seem to have good access to everything except where the cables disappear into the roof at the front of the sunroof opening. Bentley gives good directions for removing the sunroof and the frame it operates within--I just can't workout how to get to where the cables interface with the crank mechanism. I'm guessing I have to remove the headliner but I sure don't want to do that until I'm certain I have to.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On e bay there is a plastic cap (middle of photo) over a screw that pops off. Then the screw (next to cap in photo) comes out. Then the handle (bottom of photo) pulls off. Then a plastic cover (left of photo) that fits over the gear screws comes off, then two screws and the gear (second photo) falls out downwards. Then a stuck roof can be opened by hand. The gear prevents that from happening when a cable is stripped so the gear has to come out first. I don't know if vanagons are the same but most Golde made sunroofs are similar unless they are electric.

dionski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right you are. Thanks for being patient with me. When I had previously removed the plastic piece under the crank handle, the hole in the headliner was only big enough for the splined shaft to jut through so I never saw the gear screws. Pealing back the fabric a bit revealed everything exactly as you depicted--I guess all bays do share most of the same components. Now I can seriously lube the cables and then restore their proper alignment with the gear; I think the left one must have slipped a groove. Yay! After I put on a new seal and clean out the rear drains I should have a working sunroof again. Many thanks!
arm_big_GUNS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:40 pm    Post subject: 1978 VW BUS SUNROOF REMOVAL PLEASE HELP!!!! Reply with quote

can anybody here tell me what is the easiest way to just remove the sunroof. i want to take it completely off do it do it from the outside edges or something im new on this site and im new to owning a vw bus. please help thank u again guys.
arm_big_GUNS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:17 am    Post subject: REMOVAL OF SUNROOF ????????>>>>???? Reply with quote

78 BUS I JUST WANT TO REMOVE THE DAMN THING. ITS OPEN ONE INCH AND I JUST WANT IT OFF THE GEARS ARE NOT WORKING NOTHING IS OPENING IT. CAN I POP THE EDGES OFF OR BREAK IT OFF SOMEHOW. THANK YOU GUYS FOR HELP Rolling Eyes
dionski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: REMOVAL OF SUNROOF ????????>>>>???? Reply with quote

arm_big_GUNS wrote:
78 BUS I JUST WANT TO REMOVE THE DAMN THING. ITS OPEN ONE INCH AND I JUST WANT IT OFF THE GEARS ARE NOT WORKING NOTHING IS OPENING IT. CAN I POP THE EDGES OFF OR BREAK IT OFF SOMEHOW. THANK YOU GUYS FOR HELP Rolling Eyes

Probably it would be best to get a hold of a Bentley manual which outlines the procedure with diagrams. I can summarize the steps for the vanagon--it might be similar.

1. Separate the roof trim panel from the roof panel by gradually wedging the front edge of the trim panel down, popping it out of the clips that hold it. Then slide the trim panel all the way back as far as it will go.

2. If the sunroof is only open about an inch you should then be able to access the spring loaded rear cable connections at the back of the roof panel on each side. Swing the leaf spring on each side out toward the center. Then pull on the thing that has a spring loaded rod sticking out of it to remove the pin which sits in the receiver on the roof panel. Do this on both sides.

3. Now go toward the front of the panel where you'll find the front guides. Remove the two Phillips screws in each. Now nothing holds the front of the panel and so you can lift it up and pull it forward enough (a couple of inches) to allow the rear sliders to lift out of the openings in the guide rails.

The chance of this all making sense without the diagrams seems a bit unlikely. And it also assumes that your roof is set up essentially the same as my Vanagon roof which I can't guarantee. Sorry--best I can do at the moment.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 11

Jump to: