Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turn Signal
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Newbie001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Turn Signal Reply with quote

Hi everybody,
I am restoring a 1968 VW Beetle and am currently working on the electrical system. I am making good progress but am having trouble with the left front turn signal. I have the two filament type bulb, but the parking and turn signal use the same filament, though it works fine on the right. Not sure if it can be related, but have not gotten the wipers to work quite yet, can't figure out the back up lights, can't find the fuse in the engine compartment. So far I have the emergency lights to work (same filament as parking light on left front), the low beam and high beam and turn signals (same filament as parking light on left front). I have been using the Bentley diagram, but am stuck. Hope it makes sense and that someone can help. Thank you.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a new bulb. Maybe one of the filiments became detached and
welded itself to the other one.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The emergency lights use the same filament as the turn signals - the parking lights are an entirely different circuit - the only thing in common is the ground.

Is this early 68, with the 9-terminal flasher relay, which is the Bentley diagram - or the late 68, with the 4 (or less) terminals on the flasher relay, and of which an official diagram does not exist (however I drew one up by combining elements of the 1968 and 70 diagrams and it's in TheSamba Technical section... link to diagram )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Newbie001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what I have, here are pictures of my "emergency lights switch" and Flasher relay. Tried to replace the light bulb, no luck. Thank you for your help.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay that is a LATE 68, which is that other diagram I linked to above. It uses a more complicated e-flasher switch and a simple flasher relay. That diagram... the wire pathways should all be correct, but it's possible that one or two of the wire colors may not match what you have... Also, it shows the original 4-terminal grounded relay. I prefer to use VW style grounded relays... but you often see cheap-ass ungrounded 2-terminal non-VW relays used. (it works but I don't care for them)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Newbie001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Glutamodo,
I double checked my wiring using your diagram, colors are different but wiring is similar. Though I don't have a #31 to ground on mine!? On the right side turn signa, smaller filament is being activated by turn signal and emergency flashers, bigger one is activated by light switch. On the right sied turn signal, big filament is being activated by turn signal, emergency flasher and light switch, the small filament never operates!? Thanks again for your time and help.
Newbie001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and by the way, the emergency flasher switch light bulb does not flash when switch is on, will double check the light bulb.
TexasAirCooler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn Signal Reply with quote

Newbie001 wrote:
I have been using the Bentley diagram, but am stuck. Hope it makes sense and that someone can help. Thank you.

Does your book have the color wiring diagrams or black/white? The color ones are much easier.

You may need to use a small wire brush on the terminal ends to make better connections.

Have you looked for the backup light wire coming from the transmission? Wire maybe laying on top of tranny.

Common Sense Is A Flower That Doesn't Grow In Everyone's Garden.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His book won't even have a valid wiring diagram... VW never issued one for the mid 68-69 models.
Newbie001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm out of idea guys, somehow can't get the small filament on the left front turn signal to come on, big filament illuminates for turn signal and parking light! Any body has an idea?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a classic symptom of a bad ground - you need to be SURE the bulbholder had got a rock-solid connection to the body ground!
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Turn Signal Reply with quote

Newbie001 wrote:
.... having trouble with the left front turn signal. I have the two filament type bulb, but the parking and turn signal use the same filament, though it works fine on the right.

So far I have the emergency lights to work (same filament as parking light on left front)...

... somehow can't get the small filament on the left front turn signal to come on, big filament illuminates for turn signal and parking light!

First problem... sounds like you have your left front light assembly wired wrong. Remove the bulb and make sure you have a dual-filament bulb and a dual-filament socket. There should be two contact points on the bottom of the bulb. Use a test lamp and confirm one of the contacts in the socket is powered when the parking lights are ON. The other contact pulsates power when the left turn signal or E-Flashers are ON.
The light assembly should have two input wires. A grey wire for the parking light (5W) filament and a black wire for the turn signal (25W) filament. These should be connected to separate wires coming from the dash area. Disconnect and test the wires the same way you tested the socket.

I'm betting you have the wrong bulb; the wrong bulb socket or have the wires connected incorrectly at the junction before the light assembly.

Newbie001 wrote:
I double checked my wiring using your diagram, colors are different but wiring is similar. Though I don't have a #31 to ground on mine (flasher relay?)!?

It looks like you may have the wrong type of flasher relay. What are the number/letters on the terminals? The proper European flasher relays should have:
    49 (or +) : 12v input
    49a : pulsing output (alternates 12v+ and ground)
    31 : ground (yours may be grounding through the mounting bracket?)

Can you confirm where the wires from the flasher relay run to? Identify the device the wires connect to and the numbered terminal.

Many of the "generic" flasher relays will not work properly since they alternate 12v+/open. As a test, disconnect the turn signal indicator bulb in the speedo. This simplifies the flasher circuit and may allow generic flasher relays to work. If this works, then you have the wrong flasher relay or your correct one has gone bad.

Newbie001 wrote:
Oh and by the way, the emergency flasher switch light bulb does not flash when switch is on, will double check the light bulb

There should be a ground terminal on the E-Flasher switch. It may be marked #31 or is sometimes a male spade on the side of the switch. Check that this is properly connected and grounded. This terminal is specifically to light up the internal bulb of the switch.
I also think some of the early switches did not have an internal bulb, but I may be wrong.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}

Last edited by ashman40 on Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Newbie001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashman,
Will start working on it after the dog walk. The light bulb is a two connector, as well as socket. Wires go to fuse box. The flasher relay is the rounded one, right? Sorry, Newbie says it all. If it is the relay, should I replace it with this one?

http://chircoestore.com/turn-indicator-relay-12volt-4-terminal-vw-bug-beetle-68-70.html

Thank you so much for your help.
Newbie001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ashman,

Relay has two connectors and is grounded through the bracket.

Connector "X" is connected to "+" prawn on E Flasher switch

Connector "L" has three wires connected to it. One from "49a" on E Flasher switch, one from Turn Signal assembly and one goes to the Blinker indicator on speedo.

Tried to disconnect speedo indicator, no change.

Prawns being use on E Flasher switch are "30" to fuse box and door light switches, "15" to fuse box and speedo (little "box" screwed on upper side of speedo), "X" to Flasher relay, "49a" to Flasher relay, "L" and "R" to Turn Signal assembly on steering wheel.
Newbie001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if that indicates anything, but when Lights are off, E Flashers on, all blink in unison. When Lights on, E Flashers on, all lights blink in unison, except left front, blinks opposite to all others.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "X" and "L" labels on your flasher relay say it all... it is NOT a proper relay for use on European cars.

The flasher relay you linked above will work, but you can also use this one:
http://chircoestore.com/turn-indicator-relay-12volt-3-terminal-vw-bug-beetle-71-79.html

Also, check at your FLAPS (local auto parts store) and see if they have one of these:

All of the above are aftermarket European-style flasher relays that should work.

Your front left turn signal assembly still sounds like it has a problem.
First, check that the light assembly has a good ground. I'm not sure if your style lights had a dedicated ground wire or whether they grounded through the mounting hole. Either way, makes sure there is a good ground.

Second, check the bulb. The dual filament bulb should only go into the socket one way. The bayonet prongs are offset for this reason, but I have seen old sockets that are worn out and the bulb can be inserted the wrong way.

Next, find the junction for the light assembly. It should be in the trunk area near the spare tire, just after the wires come in from under the fender. Disconnect the wires here and test both the wires and the lights. Using a jumper wire, give power to each the of wires going to the light assembly so you know which one is for which filament. The dim filament is the parking light. The bright one is the turn signals.

Also test the wires coming from the dash area. The grey one should be for the parking lights and comes from the fuse box.
The black/white wire is for the left turn signal. Unlike the grey wire, this one does not run to the fuse box. It should go to a 4-way junction where other wires of the same color come together. At this junction, one wire should come from the turn signal switch. One from the E-flasher switch. One from the front turn signal assembly. One from the rear turn signal assembly. There should be another 4-way junction for all the black/green wires that support the right-side lights.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: