Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stereo Selection Help
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject: Stereo Selection Help Reply with quote

I wanted to ask what you may suggest for a stereo head unit for the car. I think it's going to be easier to get that installed now while the back of the dash is more accessible in the build.
Here's what I have as a blank canvas:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Info that may help:
- I'm not particularly interested in a retro look (knobs). If that works then fine but mainly want something that will fit into the metal dash opening and have a nice installed look. I do not want to cut the metal dash.
- I will be adding a small sub with amp in the back behind the rear seat.
- 2 front speakers in fiberglass kick panels and 2 rear speakers in flat panel across the back.
- I've already run speaker wire and RCA to all planned locations.
- I can include a crossover if needed.
- I can add tweeters if needed.
- mega-power is not the priority, crisp clear sound with some bottom end is the goal.

thanks for any help.
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So from what I've found, your choices are:
- Retrosound, they make various styles
- A pretty awful Pyle unit (this thing)
- Used shaft-style receiver (what most cars used before the current style)
- Cut the metal dash and put in a modern receiver

Option #3 is actually fairly viable, depending on your aesthetic preferences or if you really want, say, bluetooth, HD radio, ...
Alpine, Sony, Pioneer, JVC, etc all made fairly nice high end receivers with amp out ports and such. Can find a bunch of them on ebay, but you'll end up paying about as much as a new receiver for a nice one (lots of older car owners face the same problem).

I found my Alpine at a you-pull-it style yard (just missing the knobs), it installed cleanly with my new dash pad -

For reference, this is what a shaft style radio looks without the cover plate -

It'll fit right in the metal dash slot same as the original radio, no cutting required.
When I installed my new dash pad I cut a snugly fitting hole for the center part and two separate circular holes for each shaft. Put the cover plate on and it looks fairly clean.

I mounted my small amp under the dash, can see it in the first picture below the ashtray. Idea was that the amp input would be easily accessible if I wanted to swap in my ipod, but under the rear seat is probably a better option.

But yeah, you might get reasonably decent sound when parked, but the bugs are just noisy cars. If you can get reasonably clear sound at a decent volume you're good to go.
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info, I really like that Alpine unit Smile
I will be installing QuikRoof material that will help the noise but yes I know this not the E-350 lol. That's ok, I think that the setup will be fine.
I did look around at the modern receivers and decided that I was ok with the shaft-style setup, especially if there is no metal cutting involved.

I went and looked at the dash again and the factory slot is 1 3/4 x 7 1/8, I can look for something that can hopefully fit in that opening. A bit more research yields info that a single DIN receiver needs 2 x 7 opening, but I'll look up your Alpine to verify dimensions. I see what you're saying about the slot for the center plus 2 round holes - does this hold the unit securely? I assume you've got a strap for the back of the radio?

Your setup is just what I would picture as clean install, looks great. I appreciate the help!
bugbyte
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for the Retro-Look, but it's hard to do without today's high tech options. I went ahead and bought the RetroSound 2 and couldn't be happier.

I found the knobs small and slippery for my hands. The idea came to me to take the rubber off of the the extra dash knobs I had, and they fit perfectly. Look and feel good. Look close in the picture at the secondary knobs on the radio and you'll see. They look like they came with the car.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/

Sony and kenwood are my top brands.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. I wound up ordering a Kenwood KDC BT318U receiver, it had all of the features I wanted at under $90. I'll roll install info into my build thread. I'm pleased with results as I think opening up the dash a bit for the DIN size receiver allowed for lots of cost effective options.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: