Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Autostick Help !!
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
74superbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Autostick Help !! Reply with quote

Would it be possible to take the clutch servo out and connect a clutch cable to the clutch arm and install manual pedals and connect it all up together. would this work?
jwold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it can work. Especially if your car already has the clutch cable tube installed, I think all later models had them.

Might search for "autostick conversion"
Busdriver79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How coincidental you asked this question...I have been working on my 71 Super Beetle all summer...I replaced the heater channels and plenty of other parts on the body...the body work is now finished and I have replaced the napoleon hat and floorpans...I also installed a clutch cable tube and a three pedal assembly...today the AutoStick transaxle went back into the chassis, and I connected the clutch cable to the cross shaft arm...I fabbed up a cable connector and connected the cable with the wing nut to it...the clutch pedal effort is very light and it works great...there is a bit of tweaking to do before I sign off on it, but I'm confident it will work just fine...I plan on putting the chassis and body together in the spring, after I go through the engine and repair a few oil leaks...it's amazing how much this modification does away with, in terms of extra hoses, vacuum lines, control valve, and vacuum tank...the engine bay is really cleaned up nice...now it will get paint, and glass and interior...I can't wait to get on the road with an AutoStick and three pedals. Very Happy
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busdriver79 wrote:
How coincidental you asked this question...I have been working on my 71 Super Beetle all summer...I replaced the heater channels and plenty of other parts on the body...the body work is now finished and I have replaced the napoleon hat and floorpans...I also installed a clutch cable tube and a three pedal assembly...today the AutoStick transaxle went back into the chassis, and I connected the clutch cable to the cross shaft arm...I fabbed up a cable connector and connected the cable with the wing nut to it...the clutch pedal effort is very light and it works great...there is a bit of tweaking to do before I sign off on it, but I'm confident it will work just fine...I plan on putting the chassis and body together in the spring, after I go through the engine and repair a few oil leaks...it's amazing how much this modification does away with, in terms of extra hoses, vacuum lines, control valve, and vacuum tank...the engine bay is really cleaned up nice...now it will get paint, and glass and interior...I can't wait to get on the road with an AutoStick and three pedals. Very Happy

Been meaning to ask if you ever got around to doing this

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only replacing servo withna leg, makes a real go getter in a three wheeler. Chrysler in late 40' in 50's had just this combo,
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious, what advantage is gained with hooking up a conventional clutch and the 3 pedals with the autostick tranny?
I would think you still have to let off the gas and push in the clutch to shift (like a regular 4 speed), and you now have just 3 gears instead of 4 along with the typical "neck snapping" acceleration associated with the torque converter in a autostick.

I don't understand the advantage of this setup or am I missing something?

Dan
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI - cant remember the specifics - but not all lates have the clutch tube. A buddy ran into this.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busdriver79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danpa wrote:
I'm curious, what advantage is gained with hooking up a conventional clutch and the 3 pedals with the autostick tranny?
I would think you still have to let off the gas and push in the clutch to shift (like a regular 4 speed), and you now have just 3 gears instead of 4 along with the typical "neck snapping" acceleration associated with the torque converter in a autostick.

I don't understand the advantage of this setup or am I missing something?

Dan
...Yeah, you're missing something...It's like a 1950's Mopar with "Fluid Drive" i.e. a three speed manual gearbox connected to the engine with a torque converter, minus all the trouble prone servos, vacuum cans, hoses and wiring....all that stuff works by touching the gear lever to disengage the clutch when changing gears...I don't have the "off the line" go like a 4speed, but once it gets over 25mph, it goes great....the AutoStick transmissions rarely, if ever, fail...it's all the gizmos related that go haywire, and very few people have an understanding of how everything works together, or how to fix or adjust them....by eliminating these parts, I still have a reliable, and roadworthy car using the stock drivetrain...if I wanted neck snapping get up and go, I wouldn't be driving a stock VW Beetle in the first place....I just like to tinker and play with it...the swapping of the AutoStick for a 4speed has been done ad-nauseum by guys who can't fix things, or who prefer 4speeds in the first place....if I feel the need for speed, I hop into my muscle car to satisfy that. Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: