Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1960 36hp parts on a 1956 36hp case?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djcvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: 1960 36hp parts on a 1956 36hp case? Reply with quote

I have a engine case from 1956. Can the crank, cam and other parts off of a 1960 36hp be used on a 1956 36hp case?
bdub475
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They sure can. But if your pulling it apart you'll want to check everything and make sure it doesn't need line bored and i hope you would at least us new bearings if everything is in spec.
djcvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks bdub475.

Yes, I intend on sending the '56 case out to get inspected, line bored, etc. I was asking because I also want to send the crank and cam out to get inspected and brought into specs to match the case. New bearings is a guarantee Very Happy
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy your bearings first, then machine the case to the bearings

36hp bearings are not easy to find like late models

Visit here: www.aircooledresearch.com

Matt supplies most 36hp parts and is really a 36hp expert

Good luck on your rebuild
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djcvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

txoval - thanks for the advice and source of 36hp stuff. I didn't even think about getting the bearings first, makes sense.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used RIMCO for my case machining and DPR for my crank/flywheel/pressure plate work

RIMCO is expensive, but does great work. RIMCO will want you to send your bearings with the case. Jose at DPR is the best in my view and pricing is competitive

My case after work at RIMCO
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Crank back from DPR
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djcvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful work. Thanks for the leads. I'm new to this and trying to figure it all out. I was planning on using RIMCO, and will check on DPR. So is it the main bearings that RIMCO would need with the case, or both the main and rod bearings? I'm wanting to go stock 36hp, so I'm assuming I would be looking at main bearings for a standard case bore?

I appreciate all the help and tips. Don't want to screw this up by buying the wrong items.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First you need to measure your crank journals and case bore.

If your case has never been line-bored it will measure 60mm. Standard crank journal is 50mm

Each line-bore or turn of a journal is .25mm or .010"

If your case and crank are standard you'd want to do your first line-bore and turning of the journals. This where it gets tough though, you may not be able to find bearings for these cuts...

So measure your crank and case with a micrometer to see where you're at. Then start calling Aircooledresearch or Wolfsburg West (there are others too) to see what they have.

If you want to go stock, just send the crank to RIMCO as well. They may find the bearings for you as well.

I had a standard case and .25mm under crank, but the bearings I could find were both .50mm under on the crank and .50mm over on the case. To make it worse the thrust bearing in the set required a thrust cut on my case = more $$ to RIMCO

Your lifter bores and cam bores are another area of concern with 36hp cases. The case is the cam bearing, so if the cam bore is out of spec you're kinda screwed. The lifter bores can be sleeved with brass sleeves like seen in mine. This is not cheap either, but is actually stronger than stock

Go here for all the case/bearing measurements

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/61guesswork.php

Matt can help a lot, and provides great customer service
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine case can be repaired also another way. Then some material is milled on the seam surface, then halves are bolted together and line bored again to STD size. That is a good alternative, because also the cam line is renewed then, and you can use outer STD main bearings.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2747474&highlight=#2747474
New projects
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard of that option as well, but I do not believe there is a shop in the US that does it...I may be wrong though.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cam gear will need to be checked for proper fit. Too big of cam gear and you can end up having it shear off. Too small and it will be noisy and can wear out too soon.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

virtanen wrote:
Engine case can be repaired also another way. Then some material is milled on the seam surface, then halves are bolted together and line bored again to STD size. That is a good alternative, because also the cam line is renewed then, and you can use outer STD main bearings.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2747474&highlight=#2747474

Do you have the info on who does this work and what the cost would be?

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: