Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The right way to lower or raise the rear of an air-cooled VW
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its way quicker to jack the spring plate up a bit, then pry it so it clears the lip and lower it down, the jack will keep it from swinging down.

*I'm not a licensed mechanic so do that at your own risk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eaallred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rubber isn't a bearing either, but that seemed to work fine for the VW factory for the entire production run.

You have to remember something: Everybody pities the weak; Jealousy you have to earn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under slight travel of less than an inch the rubber stays stuck to both surfaces and just twists. So for instance the rubber bushings only squeak past an inch travel, on the other hand old urethane ones squeak at the slightest movement.
[email protected]
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this video I talk about the benefits of needle bearings over bushings:

Link
[email protected]
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwsb74 wrote:

Adam, it's been awhile we wanted to see a video of your plates with irs but until now you cant provide it. I'm not bashing your product in fact I like the quality of it and your passion but I really wanted to see the Irs plate doing in action before I buy. Thanks!

Here it is, courtesy of Mid America Motorworks:

Link
VolkDubz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty cool thread, didn't realize how much went into the atomworks drop plates. well done
vwsb74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the 2 inch adjustable plate for my super and man it's very nice . Just pre load it like Volkswagen did 20*-21* and it will seat right away at two inch drop. Exactly what I wanted. I wish I just bought the 2inch non adjustable it's cheaper . But I'm still glad of the purchased. Ps if you run a sway bar you need to grind the plate where the sway bar bracket.
2014 Honda odyssey
2180cc 48IDA clone
Xr310 cam =171hp@6k rpm sold so as the car😢
[email protected]
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VolkDubz wrote:
Pretty cool thread, didn't realize how much went into the atomworks drop plates. well done

Thank you. We take our work seriously. It is the engineering inside the products that counts.

Since this thread has been about the validity of drop plates; are they legit or fraud, I thought it fitting to mention that a world record was set at the Mojave Mile courtesy of THEE Darrell Vittone in his "36 HP Challenge" Ghia utilizing our 3" IRS twin style drop plates, bronze bushing retainers, and flopped trailing arm setup. The drop plates restored his suspension travel, the bronze bushing allowed less restrictive articulation without wheel hop, and the trailing arms straightened the camber out at the new ride height. The previous record was 109 mph, but Darrell blew it out of the park setting a new record of 141.8 mph!!! That's with a naturally aspirated engine that is slightly smaller than 1800cc. Those who have been there know that the Mojave Mile is no picnic, having a rough surface with thousands of tar filled cracks covering the entire mile. At speeds in excess of 140 mph Mr. Vittone was very thankful that he chose the proper spring plates, which were designed specifically for his Ghia's low stance and allowed his suspension to absorb the bumps at high speed.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is footage of the ride alone side Mr. Vittone:

Link
[/quote]
vwsb74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to share my experience with atomwerks irs suspension .
They are great quality and it works great! I ordered the two inch drop and the ride is very nice .

2014 Honda odyssey
2180cc 48IDA clone
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hows the rear camber? Snap a pic of that.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
vwsb74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfats808 wrote:
Hows the rear camber? Snap a pic of that.

I don't know how much negative camber because it so hard to get an accurate reading due to the design of the rim. I can't plant the protractor properly:(

2014 Honda odyssey
2180cc 48IDA clone
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle the suspension and explain how the rate of toe change got better, Oh, you can't do that.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
[email protected]
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
Cycle the suspension and explain how the rate of toe change got better, Oh, you can't do that.

You're right, he cannot do that. It's an IRS. Toe doesn't change once bolted. EVER.

Thank you for your feedback, vwsb74.
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
mcmscott wrote:

You're right, he cannot do that. It's an IRS. Toe doesn't change once bolted. EVER.

That is incorrect, if the inner pivot and outer pivot were in line then yes, however they are not, so toe change and camber change also happen in an irs suspension. Ever notice the trailing arm pivot bolt is not parrellel to the torsion housing? Those silly german engineers!
A swing car has roughly 45 degrees, and an irs car has roughly 15-20 degrees. Can't change that!

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
vwsb74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Criticizing a product without testing is like a fortune teller 😅
2014 Honda odyssey
2180cc 48IDA clone
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
mcmscott wrote:

That is incorrect, if the inner pivot and outer pivot were in line then yes, however they are not, so toe change and camber change also happen in an irs suspension. Ever notice the trailing arm pivot bolt is not parrellel to the torsion housing? Those silly german engineers!
A swing car has roughly 45 degrees, and an irs car has roughly 15-20 degrees. Can't change that!

^^^ Yep.
[email protected]
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:

Look at what those "silly german engineers" did, aligned the inner pivot and outer pivot!!! Shocked

mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwsb74 wrote:
Criticizing a product without testing is like a fortune teller 😅

The plates are nice, if you read any of my posts I never said they were poorly made, never. However the claim to restore correct geometry is so false that only an idiot would buy into it. The whole "pre-load" thing is just amazing. I'll use round numbers here, they are irrevelent, Lets say to support the weight of your car the bar has to twist 20 degrees, you preload the bar 10 degrees and the cars weight pushes them another 10, you have achieved stock ride height. Now you want to lower your car so you pull out 10 degrees, guess what, that bar is still going to twist 20 degrees before it supports the weight of the same car, pre load is exactly the same.
Now lets add some "drop plates" they have this zigzag thing going on so you "preload" the bars 10 degrees, then put the weight of the car on it and guess what? How many degrees does that bar twist? wait........ 20, nothing has changed whatsover other the money from your wallet.
Don't need to test them to critisize. Kinda like testing a modern low compression piston that has a hole in it to know it doesn't do anything.
And I know my spelling is not the greatest

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
mcmscott wrote:

Look at what those "silly german engineers" did, aligned the inner pivot and outer pivot!!! Shocked

Hey rocket scientist, you will notice that is not parellel to the torsion housing? therefore it also is not perpendicular to the car, therefore the tire is always going to swing in an ark from the center of the car, not the straight line the car is traveling. Your plates cannot change this

Silly german engineers

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
[email protected]
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
Hey rocket scientist, you will notice that is not parellel to the torsion housing? therefore it also is not perpendicular to the car, therefore the tire is always going to swing in an ark from the center of the car, not the straight line the car is traveling. Your plates cannot change this

Silly german engineers

Thus the need for a bushing to absorb the misalignment that must happen for one pivoting member with two misaligned axes. No one ever said that axes had to be parallel in order to rotate together. In fact if they were parallel but eccentric to each other, as in your scenario, they would not rotate at all. Don't have to be a rocket scientist to understand this... you just have to understand basic geometry. But that fact that they point to one central pivot is indicative of one main rotation point. Silly German engineers understood math. You? Maybe not so much...

Last edited by [email protected] on Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Page 46 of 50

Jump to: