Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front Seat identification
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
R-Baja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tcash, next time I get an Amazon gift card I am going to buy it!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great thread for seat information.
Seat Upgrade for Bay Window Buses?
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat identification Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Any input would be appreciated. Please refer to number when replying. Thank You

I (jtauxe) will respond in blue. Tcash in red.

1. 68-early76 seat rails the same.
Agreed?
yes

2. late76-85 seat rails the same.
Agreed?
yes

3. 68-69 has knob for adjusting (driver seat)
68-74 has knob for adjusting (driver seat) agreed?
yes

4. 68-71 no holes for head rest (driver and pass)
73 is the first year I could find that had headrest. Some had them and some did not and came with plugs. Would you agree?
I believe so. I have not seen a '73 without the head rest tubes, but they may exist.

5. 72-up have holes for headrest
vw76westy do you have an example you could show us
I don't believe that the structure for the head rests appeared until 1973, but could be wrong.

6. 73 headrests have a release button on them. (Karl)
Added
I do not know.

7. 75-76 have more shape to them (not so box looking)
Added
I still need to confirm this looking at my 1975 seat.

8. 75 pass seat still has box looking bottom part and does not have seat tracks.
Added
I think so. My '75 is a single cab, with the 2/3 seat, so I cannot confirm this for the walk-through seats. I will say that the 2/3 seat in the Mexican SC mounts at the back in a unique fashion, with pins on the seat and hooks on the wall.

9. 76 pass seat is identical to 75-76 driver seat and uses tracks.
Added
The early '76 passenger seat uses tracks, and is identical to the early '76 driver's seat. But early '76 driver's seats are different from '75 driver's seats in how the back angle is adjusted.

10. This is where all the confusion comes to play. The 75 pass seat is not exactly the same as a driver seat. The bottom part still installs in a non adjustable position like all 68-74 seats, but the back support has the same contour as 76-79 seats.
Added
yes. Same contour, but different back angle adjustment mechanism.

11. 76-79 seats are all the same except that early 76 seats have the earlier seat track.
Added
yes

12. 73-75 headrest have covers.
Added
yes, and they are more rounded than the later ones.

13. 76-79 headrest are solid.
Added
yes, and they are more angular than the early ones. These are molded foam with a colored finish, and a vertical black seam around them.

14. 73 seats have the squarish look to them.
Added
yes

15. 74 There was a slight change to the bucket style backs (less square)?
Is this a 74 then?
I believe that the '73 seats and '74 seats are identical, but I could be wrong. I have some '74 seats that were reupholstered, and the backs look squarish to me.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat identification Reply with quote

Thank you jtauxe!

11/14/14 Tcash edits in Green

Tcash wrote:
Any input would be appreciated. Please refer to number when replying. Thank You

I (jtauxe) will respond in blue. Tcash in red.

1. 68-early76 seat rails the same.
Agreed?
yes

2. late76-85 seat rails the same.
Agreed?
yes

3. 68-74 has round knob for adjusting backrest (driver seat)
68-74 has knob for adjusting (driver seat) agreed?
yes

4. 68-72 no holes for head rest (driver and pass)
73 is the first year I could find that had headrest. Some had them and some did not and came with plugs. Would you agree?
I believe so. I have not seen a '73 without the head rest tubes, but they may exist.

5. 73-up have holes for headrest
vw76westy do you have an example you could show us
I don't believe that the structure for the head rests appeared until 1973, but could be wrong.

6. 73 headrests have a release button on them. (Karl)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7069907#7069907
Added
I do not know.

7. 75-76 have more shape to them (not so box looking)
Added
I still need to confirm this looking at my 1975 seat.

8. 75 pass seat still has box looking bottom part and does not have seat tracks and has open back.
Added
I think so. My '75 is a single cab, with the 2/3 seat, so I cannot confirm this for the walk-through seats. I will say that the 2/3 seat in the Mexican SC mounts at the back in a unique fashion, with pins on the seat and hooks on the wall.

9. 76 pass seat is identical to 75-76 driver seat and uses tracks.
Added
The early '76 passenger seat uses tracks, and is identical to the early '76 driver's seat. But early '76 driver's seats are different from '75 driver's seats in how the back angle is adjusted.

10. This is where all the confusion comes to play. The 75 pass seat is not exactly the same as a driver seat. The bottom part still installs in a non adjustable position like all 68-74 seats, but the back support has the same contour as 76-79 seats.
Added
yes. Same contour, but different back angle adjustment mechanism.

11. 76-79 seats are all the same except that early 76 seats have the earlier seat track.
Added
yes

12. 73-74 headrest have covers.
This is in the specification guide.
Added
yes, and they are more rounded than the later ones.

13. 75-79 headrest are solid.
This is in the specification guide.
Added
yes, and they are more angular than the early ones. These are molded foam with a colored finish, and a vertical black seam around them.

14. 73 seats have the squarish look to them.
Added
yes

15. 74 There was a slight change to the bucket style backs (less square)?
Is this a 74 then?
I believe that the '73 seats and '74 seats are identical, but I could be wrong. I have some '74 seats that were reupholstered, and the backs look squarish to me.

16. 68-74 Bottom material attached with a wire and tangs on the frame.

17. 75-? Material is wedged in between two pieces of metal on the seat frame.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only quibble with that is the dates you changed on 12 and 13.

I believe that the '75 head rests are of the earlier rounded style.

HOWEVER, I caveat that statement, since I am basing my opinion on my 1975 Mexican single cab, and there is a distinct possibility that VW may have done something odd, and used old head rests on these seats. In fact, the 2/3 side attaches in a way that I have seen nowhere else, so I could be misled by an oddball vehicle.

Now I am wondering if the roundish and squarish headrests are interchangable...
Think
I could go see if the ones from my '79 transporter fit in the single cab. I'd be surprised if this is the case.

EDIT:
I did that, and discovered that the '73-'74 (or '75?) headrests are interchangeable with the later style '76 - '79 headrests, as least as far as the headrest mounts in the seats are concerned.

And, given Doug's post (below), I still believe that the '75 head rests are of the earlier rounded style.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus

Last edited by jtauxe on Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jtauxe"]My only quibble with that is the dates you changed on 12 and 13.

I based that change on information listed in the.
VW Transporter and Microbus Specification Guide 1967-1979

If your truck was an early build, maybe they used up the stock on hand from the early headrest? Who knows.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Looking at these seats they are different from most.
Note: bases are thinner and the sides are straight.
Note: backs w/o headrest have a different shape to them not like the 68-74 or the 75-79.
Note: the westy back with headrest is like the 75-79 backs, but base is different.

1. Does anyone know what these seats are?

2. Was it 1976 when they lost the pass. bulkhead and went to swivel seats?

3. What year did they loose both bulkheads?

Thanks
Tcash
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

Someone asked me to chime in with the details from my stock '75 seats, so here goes. I can snap pictures, too, if you tell me what you'd like to see.

What I know about my seats:

- Blue/green westy plaid, with green vinyl headrest covers, seat backs and sides (green vinyl piping)
- The headrests have some defined shape to them, but not as angular as the later ones that are molded and don't seem to have the vinyl covers
- The driver's seat has vinyl on the rear of the seat back, has a seat track, has one lever for adjusting the whole seat forward and back and another lever for tilting the seat back...as someone mentioned, the tilt motion of the seat back is "sprung"
- The passenger seat does not have vinyl on the rear of the seat back, does not travel on a track and does not have any type of lever or knob for adjustments. The bottom back corner/hinge areas have tabs that fits into brackets on the seat stand, that have two indents each...you know what these brackets look like...it has two rubber bumpers and the top hook
- Both seat backs have the black surrounds for where the headrest posts go into the seat
- jtauxe's picture of the bottom of a '75 driver's seat matches the bottom of my driver seat

I redid my seats this past summer using the original covers but with Wolfsburg West "horsehair" pads. I remember the pads being a bit tough to keep secured around the rail that acts as the top outer edge of the seat frame for the seat bottom, and I also could have used a but more length on the top edge of the seat back pad that goes over the top and "lips" on the top/back edge...but at the time I chalked it up to the thicker underlayment I was using...I didn't have burlap on hand so I used thicker padding material I saved from a mattress box spring I cut up. The original covers went over these WW pads just fine and look great, with no areas overly stretched nor any areas looking excessively wrinkly.

Anyway, please don't hesitate to let me know what pics you'd like.

- Doug Smile
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
A very, very understanding wife
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great information, Doug.

So, here is what all that tells me about 1975 seats in relation to other years:

Like the 1973-'74 seats...
- they have the rounded head rests, with zippered vinyl covers,
- driver's seat back is covered, while the passenger's seat back is open,
- the passenger's seat mounts to tabs on the body, and does not use tracks, and
- the driver's seat uses the same tracks as '73-'74 and on into early '76.

Like the early 1976 seats:
- the driver's seat uses the same tracks as '73-'74 and on into early '76,
- the back is more "sculpted", narrowing upwards (unlike the squarish backs used through 1974),
- the back adjustment is accomplished using a lever and cogs at the side of the seat, though the spring mechanism is different, and
- the upholstery tucks into a groove along the bottom edge of the seat bottom, rather than being "gathered" with a wire like earlier years.

*DOUG* can you confirm that last point?

The 1975 seats are truly one-year only.

For that matter, the early '76 seats are unique as well, using the older style tracks and the later style back adjustment integral torsion spring.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
jtauxe wrote:

If your truck was an early build, maybe they used up the stock on hand from the early headrest? Who knows.

That's always possible, but consider that Doug's 1975 Westy also has the older style head rests. Given that the two styles are interchangeable, I would fully expect VW to go through its old stock of older style headrests before installing new ones, so there may be many early '75 vehicles that were fitted with the older ones.

For the record, the SC was built 7 Feb 1975.

I wonder where the information for the Spec Guide came from?
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, you are correct on that last point, as I remember it from when I redid the seats, but I think it only applies to the driver's seat. Perhaps this warrants a trip to the parking garage for a quick photo session. Wink
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Westy was built on June 9, 1975 in case that helps.
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
Tcash wrote:
jtauxe wrote:

That's always possible, but consider that Doug's 1975 Westy also has the older style head rests. Given that the two styles are interchangeable, I would fully expect VW to go through its old stock of older style headrests before installing new ones, so there may be many early '75 vehicles that were fitted with the older ones.

For the record, the SC was built 7 Feb 1975.

I wonder where the information for the Spec Guide came from?

Could it be a mid year or end of the year change. I am seeing pictures of both headrest on the 75 seats. The parts manual I have available to me, is no help. Says head restraint (no longer available).

Any ideas on the low cut bottoms. I found these in a few years. Sewfine has a picture in there catalog of Blue seats. Drivers like the 68-74. Passengers low cut bottom.
Thanks
Tcash
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whole slew of photos coming in a few minutes...just waiting for them to upload now...
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go (but first a few caveats):

- on the driver's seat I added the plastic covers on the outsides near the seat hinges. They were not on the vehicle when I got it but it's not to say that they weren't there when new. The PO was the OO and took great care of the car, but admittedly didn't care about small details.

- on the passenger seat there were rivets where the seat hinged on either side...in my haste I just drilled them out and replaced them with stainless bolts when I rebuilt the seats

- the wires dangling from the seat cushions are for the seat heater pads that I added when rebuilding the seats but have not yet wired in

The pics!

Let me know if you have any questions!

- Doug
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Seat Frame questions. Reply with quote

Hi all Happy Turkey Day!
First off thanks to the members who posted pix, and for any help.

Could you help me with some questions?
1. Why do upholstery shops list 74-76 seats together?
2. Is the 76-79 upholstery tucked in a channel like this 75?

Here is what I have been able to surmise thus far.
Talking about the seat frames only, just the (frame with spring core).
68-72 seat frames the same.

73-74 seat frames the same as 68-72 with added head restraint mounting tubes.

75-----seat frames changed. Base tapered in the back to go in between seat back frame. Back shoulders narrow and get thinner at the top.

75-----passenger seat one year only, fixed mounting and open back like 68-74.

75-79 driver seat frames the same. 76-79 drivers seat used on passengers side as well.

So from an upholstery fit standpoint.
68-74 seat covers are the same fit.
75-----passengers seat cover one year only.
75-79 drivers and 76-79 passengers seat covers are the same fit.
dabble
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a pic of the seats in my 73 Westy for reference:
by Dabble03, on Flickr
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dabble wrote:
Here's a pic of the seats in my 73 Westy for reference:
<Flickr image removed>

First off, please do not post photos on external sites, dabble. Post 'em here on The Samba.

Now, to the seats. Those are not '73 seats. If they fit into your '73 tracks, then they are '75 or early '76 seats. Note these distinguishing features:

The adjustment is not a knob, but a lever.

The backs are sculpted, thinner at the top.

So, those are not "'73 seats for reference", they are later seats put in a '73 bus.
dabble
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:

Now, to the seats. Those are not '73 seats. If they fit into your '73 tracks, then they are '75 or early '76 seats. Note these distinguishing features:

The adjustment is not a knob, but a lever.

The backs are sculpted, thinner at the top.

So, those are not "'73 seats for reference", they are later seats put in a '73 bus.

Hmm. Well perhaps I am wrong. I just assumed they were 73 seats because they have the head rest and have a mostly square back... And they have the brown basket weave vinyl.

The recline adjustment is on the side of the seat on the driver's side and the passenger seat does not have a track. It just clips into a bracket on the base and back.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, that sounds like '75 issue seats. Check for the spring under the driver's seat and compare with other photos in this thread.

It is hard for me to tell from the photos, but which headrests are these? To me they look like the later design, which is sort of a vinyl-covered foam, with no upholstered cover, and with a sort of black seam that runs around them in a vertical plane. Those were introduced in 1976, I believe.

You could have a hybrid, as the early and late headrests are interchangeable.

The back looks tapered to me, not square. Compare to the '73 seats on Number 9, with photos earlier on the first page of this thread.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: