Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The importance of choosing the correct oil weight.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quokka42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe this is still going on.

Give it up guys - you will never convince them, it's like religion. It's not just VWs, either - lots of classic car people believe "my original owner's manual said single grade oil, so that's what I'm going to use." While theoretically it provides less lubrication by splash and being thrown out of the rods until the engine is warmed up, it is hard to measure the difference so the main disadvantages are cost and an increased chance of blowing your oil filter. The advantages are bragging rights and, um, ...
michaeljsmyth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess so much internet communication has clouded your idea of conversation, and the definition of some english words...

theres no point in bsing with you. you say it doesnt matter use whatever you want but your the one posting sarcasm and dissaproval of straight weight oil. along with the others that seem to believe straight weight is something no one should use.

again, get over yourself and dont be such a hypocrite maybe? and have a happy thanksgiving.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some vintage VW engine heaters from the classifieds:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There was a company named "Kats" that made a lot of them.
I have seen them NOS in the box a few times.

Pics from one of a few ads on here:

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ignorant?s=t

[ig-ner-uh nt]

adjective
1. lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned: an ignorant man.

2. lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact:
ignorant of quantum physics.

3. uninformed; unaware.

4. due to or showing lack of knowledge or training: an ignorant statement.

Note that Ignorant != stupid, which is what a lot of folks think it means and then discussions get sidetracked.

michaeljsmyth wrote:
I guess so much internet communication has clouded your idea of conversation, and the definition of some english words...

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But let's be honest... Who in western WA, or central or southern CA, has seen a local Bug with an engine heater? I've seen lots of Bugs running straight weight oil in western WA, generally 30 in the summer and 20 in the winter, but I've never seen a local with an oil heater.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juanito84 wrote:
Thick oil lubricates, but cannot pump. Sure, main bearings might be getting some lubrication where you still have 100psi forcing the cold oil into them But how much of that oil is getting into the rod bearings which warm up quicker and lose oil faster than the mains? Or what about oil getting up into the heads? If you find someone with a rod bearing failure or a worn valve train and ask him is he uses single-grade oil, the chances are yes.

I just pulled down my 250,000 mile type 4 to replace the cam. This engine ran its first 120-130K miles running 30wt in the summer and 10w30 in the winter, the rest of the time it ran mostly a 15w50 or 5w-40 synthetic. The rod bearings looked almost as good as the day they were installed and the machinist I showed them to commented that they must of come out of a very low mileage engine. When I told him they had 250K on them, his comment was to "keep doing whatever you are doing". The mains also showed very little wear, if it wasn't for fatigue any of the bearings in the engine could have been run again. Three out of four pistons were also close to perfect and could be run again, with the forth being damaged by having a manufacturing flaw, the pin bore being at a slight angle to the perpendicular to the centerline of the cylinder.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Here are some vintage VW engine heaters from the classifieds:

There was a company named "Kats" that made a lot of them.
I have seen them NOS in the box a few times.

Pics from one of a few ads on here:

d'oh!

I REJECT YOUR REALITY AND SUBSTITUTE MY OWN!! Not talking

Very Happy

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: oil flow Reply with quote

Here's a reason that a block heater is needed...check out this video.

I realize that this shows 20W50 being poured at -20 C. or +7 F. However, the mid-70's VW Owner's Manual showed 20W50 being good down to -10 C. or +14 F. and my experience is that it is not a good choice even though was rated as such. Anyway descriptions such as "syrup" and "tar" are certainly appropriate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmtSh4HMryw

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo

Last edited by neil68 on Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: oil flow Reply with quote

neil68 wrote:

I realize that this shows 20W50 being poured at -20 C. or +14 F. However, the mid-70's VW Owner's Manual showed 20W50 being good down to -10 C. or +7 F. and my experience is that it is not a good choice even though was rated as such. Anyway descriptions such as "syrup" and "tar" are certainly appropriate:

-10°C works out to +14°F which is actually considerable higher than the -20°C (-4°F) cold pumping temperature for a 20w oil. No 20w50 would not be a good choice for winter use in most temperate climates.
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: oil flow Reply with quote

neil68 wrote:

I realize that this shows 20W50 being poured at -20 C. or +7 F. However, the mid-70's VW Owner's Manual showed 20W50 being good down to -10 C. or +14 F. and my experience is that it is not a good choice even though was rated as such. Anyway descriptions such as "syrup" and "tar" are certainly appropriate:

corrected

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
my point (that seems to have been overlooked) is the ambient temperature DOES NOT MATTER. The oil temp matters, not the air temp.

If air temp mattered then 160F oil temp with 120F ambient is hot,
and
260F oil temp and 10F ambient is cold.

LOL

when choosing oil the temperature of the air has nothing to do with the hot viscosity, it DOES have a lot to do with the cold viscosity though.

Reading this thread is actually good for some yucks, as usual....

I like this thread. So tell me if I've got this...say my oil pressure when warmed up to between 180 and 200 is about 8 to 10 lbs at idle and 5 lbs low as far as the 10lbs per 1,000 rpm rule and I'm using 10-30.....switching to a 10-40 would be a good thing to do....10 viscosity when cold still and 40 when warm.....just a bit thicker to increase the pressure slightly when warm.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
Total seal 2nd ring, rest are Grants
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
Steve Long XR310 on a 106
CB 1.4 rockers
CB Magnaspark 2 distributor
NGK D7ea plugs
A1 lowdown 1 3/4 with single muffler
Dellorto 48's with 40 venturies
Kennedy Stage 2 with Daiken disc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fivelugshortaxle wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
my point (that seems to have been overlooked) is the ambient temperature DOES NOT MATTER. The oil temp matters, not the air temp.

If air temp mattered then 160F oil temp with 120F ambient is hot,
and
260F oil temp and 10F ambient is cold.

LOL

when choosing oil the temperature of the air has nothing to do with the hot viscosity, it DOES have a lot to do with the cold viscosity though.

Reading this thread is actually good for some yucks, as usual....

I like this thread. So tell me if I've got this...say my oil pressure when warmed up to between 180 and 200 is about 8 to 10 lbs at idle and 5 lbs low as far as the 10lbs per 1,000 rpm rule and I'm using 10-30.....switching to a 10-40 would be a good thing to do....10 viscosity when cold still and 40 when warm.....just a bit thicker to increase the pressure slightly when warm.

If you have a high mileage engine (mine is a 36hp with 100K miles) 10W40 will not be a bad thing. Its within VW spec, as it is 10 at 20C (68F) and 40 at 100C (212F) At a quite normal running oil temperature at 80-90C (180-195F) in a standard engine, it will be around 30-35 viscosity.
If your oil pressure is higher than 45lbs, the oil cooler will be "bypassed".

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: The importance of choosing the correct oil weight. Reply with quote

Pulled pump cover last night and found my issue....more than. 004 play. Gears to pump body were. 004.....and I had a thick gasket on there. Cleaned off the mating surfaces and applied an almost invisible layer of loctite 518. Gear end play is now .oo4. I'll run it after this weekend's work shifts and see what it does.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your oil pressure is higher than 45lbs, the oil cooler will be "bypassed".[/quote] .So if my op is higher than that....I wonder how the cooler still gets hot... FYI the cooler is never out of the circuit.unless you remove the cooler.

An alternate metered galley is opened witch keeps the cooler from seeing all the cold thicker oil untill it gets a chance to start thining out and pushes the thick oil through the cooler slowly so the bearings dont starve and the cooler dosent launch into space...
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
If your oil pressure is higher than 45lbs, the oil cooler will be "bypassed".
.So if my op is higher than that....I wonder how the cooler still gets hot... FYI the cooler is never out of the circuit.unless you remove the cooler.

An alternate metered galley is opened witch keeps the cooler from seeing all the cold thicker oil untill it gets a chance to start thining out and pushes the thick oil through the cooler slowly so the bearings dont starve and the cooler dosent launch into space...[/quote]

Hahahahahaha Laughing
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The importance of choosing the correct oil weight. Reply with quote

How do you know the 518 is .004 thick?
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The importance of choosing the correct oil weight. Reply with quote

jason wrote:

The 518 is effectively .000" thick (hopefully). The .004" clearance is from the end play the gears had in the pump body. It's called math. Very Happy

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The importance of choosing the correct oil weight. Reply with quote

SBD wrote:
jason wrote:

The 518 is effectively .000" thick (hopefully). The .004" clearance is from the end play the gears had in the pump body. It's called math. Very Happy

It was definitely .000 thick. I put it on so you had to look at the cover at an angle to see that it was there. No leaks. It's there.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The importance of choosing the correct oil weight. Reply with quote

I have to say this topic on correct oil weight has me lost.

Why , because of all the countless different altered systems ( added coolers , added filters , race engines and on and on. How can anyone base or compare what oil weight is better on this info? Why not just base it on a stock engine with all the proper tin in place and the stock oil pump?

Who actually sells accurate oil pressure and temp gauges?

How about how a type 3 which is what I happen to have with it's completely different cooling system than a buss or beetle?

When anyone states that thicker oil causes oil leaks , how so and where? Perhaps the oil pump gasket . Oil pressure does not pressurize the entire case and the case vent system is all that would cause an oil leak if it were plugged. It may blow an oil cooler or it seals provided the cooler bypass valve is stuck closed?

My 73 type 3 has all the tin and the cooling flaps and a working thermostat plus it has the large what are called super cool tins that direct cooling air all around the cylinder fins. All the tin fits proper including the plug wire seals .

I can't and won't claim my VDO oil pressure and temp gauges are close to accurate . I know when I rebuilt this engine in 97 and maybe have 40K on the engine. I broke it in on Kendall 40 weight . I used the crank in it with standard bearings as well as the cam because they checked out fine and it had standard bearings. I had the heads done by a machine shop that did tons of VW machine work including off the road units. I exchange my rods for the same type with new wrist pin bushings and were checked to balance and true. Replace the pump with a new New German stock 26mm pump and got new push rod tubes and valve adjust screws and nuts all German made stock. I replaced both springs and valves even though they were not stuck.

Once Kendall changed and went away I decided to get 40 weight Castrol then decided against it based on a site that said 20/50 Castrol was a better choice. Flushed the oil cooler.

I am not going to say 20/50 is the best choice and can't say the cooler is not being bypassed .

As it is I change oil at 2500 miles and realize here in southern Calif temps outside rarely get below 60 F and can reach over 100 F .

I see 60 PSI on even a 100 F day on start up and after the engine is hot at 1000 RPM I see 25 to 30 PSI and near 42 to 45 PSI @ 2500 RPM .

Perhaps this is to high. I will try Valvoline 10/40 and see if things change.

I also want to add I don't due any driving over 45 , haven't been on a freeway since 2006 except once . Yet never do I sense the engine it hot I can hold the dip stick even though it's quite hot it's never to hot to burn me.

As I said I don't feel the gauges tell the truth , I use them as a base only to tell if anything is telling me hold on the pressure has dropped and temp is well about the 180 F it normally reads.

I have no idea what my bearing clearance is.

If all is well with 10/40 I may try 10/30 conventional , maybe. Or I might try 15/40 Shell Rotella since I read it's good yet oil companies don't share their composition . It may have higher zinc I have not idea.

Since some of my oil posts were locked I would expect to hear back from someone rather than see this post vanish like a fart in the wind.

I was directed here and to the other oil post . So lets hear it . I would like anyone to explain what I asked above with the ? at the end.

If not then none of you really know for sure what you are talking about.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The importance of choosing the correct oil weight. Reply with quote

Choose the viscosity based on oil temperature and bearing clearances.
if you do not know what those are, then a good WAG is 10-30 cold weather and 15-40 for hot weather and cross your fingers the temp and clearances are average.

It does not matter if it is a type-1 or type-3 or an air compressor or a truck or a teabag packaging machine. Oil is oil and bearings are bearings.

Since an old VW does not have a CAT, and does have an iron flat tappet cam, it is good idea to use an oil for classic vehicles. Read the label on the oil. does it say Flat tappet cams? yes/no? easy.
The requirements of modern engines are quite different than ours, in these respects.

once you understand something fully, it becomes easy and concise to explain Wink

it is true that the cooler will bypass if pressure is high, but fudging the viscosity to fix some other problem is not the best solution, although it is a solution. If you want better control of the cooler then a oil thermostat is what you need. The VW system may not close the bypass valve until 170-220 temp depending on conditions and RPM, and while that's kinda screwy.... it's good enough for most. I think gauges cause just as many problems as they solve.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Page 29 of 37

Jump to: