Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CB or Scat cranks
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: CB or Scat cranks Reply with quote

I am starting to collect parts for a bus motor. I was thinking of building a 2110. I have been looking at cranks and was wondering if the Scat cranks with the type IV center main are any good or the CB units? Scat with bigger center area and full circle oil grooves or the plain CB. I'm thinking because it's a bus the bigger center main would be better. Any thoughts, overkill. Any other good cranks out there?
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Type 4 mains are for racing and is overkill unless u got it free for street applications. I mainly use Scat forged 4340 and dpr cranks for my personal builds. Cb is a good quality crank also and many members on the site use it flawlessly. Bugpack cranks are also awesome.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I built my last engine using a CB-Counterweighted 74mm 4340 standard bearing crankshaft, It was a very nice looking crank and required almost not balancing!
I am building a spare engine now with a old Scat 74mm crank, Not sure what it is, has an "S" on it and has the mains grooved, has standard bearings though. Got it used! But the Machine Guy said he had a hard time getting it to balance! He had to take quite a bit off one of the counterweights weights.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used both, and the SCATs appear to be much stronger and have a better finish. They both spec'd out perfect though. I'd go with a SCAT.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have both scat&cb,no reliabillity issues with either.
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went all Berg for my long block, but went CB on my turbo/FI setup. They are a good company. Pat Downs is a great person who knows his stuff.
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Scat started out making cranks, they make V8 cranks too, They are more expensive than CB but probably better quality. I have a forged CB 76mm with about 30k on it, when I was building the 76x94 I inspected the crank and it was perfect.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have over 100000 on my std scat stroker crank.about 40000 on my cb when I pulled it appart for roller cam conversion,It still looks great to me.both are great quality peices.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting! I'm also building a 2110 for my Bus, based on a CB crank and CB aluminum case.

I'm curious to hear more about your combo!
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of now I have a new as41 case. I also have a Berg 86 crank, flywheel and Carillo rods. I was saving the crank for my Ghia motor build but life got in the way and Ghia had to go. I don't know if I can stuff that in an early bus compartment without modifying more things so I was thinking about buying a new crank. I have a 2017 that I finished for my bug that I was thinking to put in the bus and use the crank for the beetle. Maybe I can use squishy Pistons on that motor, I heard they are as narrow as a 1500. I feel like I have A.D.D., I'm all over the place. I don't think the 2017 will have much bottom end. It has an fk8 cam,1/4's, Tims stage 2 with 42's, 9.7 if I remember right and IDA's. I drive the bus more than the beetle so I want it a bit more friendly.
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont see why your 2017 isnt going to rip. It should have gobs of low end with the k8.
You dont have the ghia so the plans for the berg cranks goes out the window. Theres no reason you couldnt build with it and say 90.5s. And be tame for driving. In fact, id build it with a k8 on the bus. That is a very good street cam. I kinda miss it tbh in my ride. I dont buy into the hype of 90.5 or 92 thickwalls. Id go 94s. There are options for thickwall 94s now! Alternative is sell the berg crank for an 82. Buses have a lot of room. Not like a big. But I wouldnt. Just a suggestion.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copy that.....I think the A.D.D. thing runs in this crowd!

Is there anything keeping you from slipping the 2017 into your Bus to prove it out? Or is it already in the Bug, which would then leave you without transpo once you pull it out?
rammintwins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in a bus i would use a dpr crank with 90.5's
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scat's Forged Cranks are comparable to CB's in quality/price. To get one of Scat's Cranks with the Type 4, you need to step up to their Billet Cranks which are $1100+. Not worth spending the extra $700-$800 for what you are using it for. I personally would use an Empi Crank, but I'd go with the CB Crank if you were choosing between Scat/CB.
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alot of the mentioned distributors get their forged counterweighted cranks from the same Chinese dude. He slangs them on a Beijing street corner next to the deep fried chicken uterus stand.

I know Scat, DRD, and Bugpacks' flanged cranks are made in the US. DPR and DMS produce welded counterweight cranks utilizing a German core.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm going to put the 2017 in the bus and build a different one for the bug. The bug isn't ready to drive yet anyway. This way I can use my Berg crank.
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jason wrote:
I think I'm going to put the 2017 in the bus and build a different one for the bug. The bug isn't ready to drive yet anyway. This way I can use my Berg crank.

Splendid idea.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: