Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Drive or Ship??
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
detoxed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Drive or Ship?? Reply with quote

About ready to dive into Vanagon ownership after reading many threads preparing myself for the adventure. I am wondering what the more experienced owners might suggest. I am considering a Vanagon that is roughly 1100 miles away. I am having a pre-purchase inspection done and trying to cover as many of the purchase advice read about here. Provided the inspection is "ok"; would you drive it home or ship it, regardless?
Phishman068
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shipping mine when I purchased it from Oregon and wanted it to be in PA was one of the best decisions i've ever made. It cost about $1000, but it would have cost me similarly in one way airfare, gas, food, and lodging (if i chose to pay for lodging). With that said, driving would save almost nothing but would run a huge risk of costing a whole lot more!
If you break down with 800 miles to go, you either have to pay the local mechanic to fix it at whatever it costs, or pay for a very expensive tow.
As far as I'm concerned, it's just not worth the risk, even if the bus is in good shape according to the seller.

Pay up front, get the bus in hand, and start learning it's condition without the stress of making it to your destination.

I used blair at right-way auto transport.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6864936#6864936

"Along with the ability to go fast, one looses the desire to hurry."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always had my non-local purchases shipped.

I have always been glad I did as something always seems to need attention sooner rather than later. Even the most honest seller can't predict what happens next and many sellers will forget to mention things they ought to know about.

Additionally, for my cars, the gas, one way ticket, meals & motels would have cost about as much as the delivery.

All that said, if you want a roadtrip adventure and are prepared to deal with adversity should it arise -- then driving a 'new' car home may provide all that.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got on the but with $5000 in my pocket to go and look at my present van.

YMMV Smile
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncroincity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These guys come highly recommended, they are the shipper, not a broker.

http://goldenkeyexpress.com/auto-transport/

Vanagon Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466866&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bus?
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
detoxed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, 2wd tintop
beteljuze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done both. I had a 79 Westy Bay Camper shipped from Florida to NY. The rest I either flew/drove/took the train to and drove home. I vote for driving it home, if you're into driving. Map out the return trip. Bring your iPhone and iPad or laptop. There's free wifi everywhere-Starbucks, McDonald's, Panera's. Once you get there go to Walmart and by a cheap tool set, comes in a nice case. My Vanagon was in California, I flew there and drove it home 3000 miles. I'd do it again in a second.
I see you're in Florida. I used to drive from NY to FL. and back to see my Dad, it was like 1200 miles, would take 2-3 days. You're saying its 1100 miles from the Van to home. That's an easy trip, I say definitely drive, you'll know all about your Van when you get home.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you drive it, you will either make it or you won't. You are not the first person to ask this question. I have seen successful trips posted and unsuccessful. Regardless of it's present condition, it is at least 20 years old and stuff wears out.

Either way, I'd at least fly out and check it out before even buying it. If you buy it, tool around for a week locally and then decide how to get it home. I have found often that an owner's impression of their vehicle can often differ from reality.

Good luck with the purchase.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the car is on the road and registered for the past year, a 1000 mile trip home represents a month of driving. If the car works well and you get a good sense of trust from the owner, I would certainly fly out, inspect, and drive back but registration from out of state for this is a hassle.

Part of this trust is the voice of experience, of course. I recently talked to a seller here on a project and within 30 seconds knew I had no interest in pursuing business with this guy.
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like an excellent opportunity for an adventure !

The Previous owner should be able to give you some comfort value based on your correspondence with them as mentioned. You may feel better NOT driving it home Smile

After all ... they are old vans.

Hell, my first 2 days of ownership, after inspection and full safety I had to slam on the brakes thanks to a transport and I ended up blowing a metal brake line ! Good thing I was in the slow lane to swerve out of the way.

If you are pleased with Pre-Inspection, your gut feeling about the owner, you have some time to kill in your schedule and like to drive, then my personal preference is to go for it and take it for a drive !

Get AAA premium to rescue you if need be OR prepare to rent a truck and dolly to tow it home if it breaks down.

If it is an automatic, there is extra to towing as you gotta protect that auto from spinning ( disconnect CV shafts or flatbed. )

Keep an eye on temps, brake fluid, drips, noises, oil, antifreeze, etc.

Good luck on your choice ! Weigh the weather into your equation too Smile.

Whatever makes you feel more comfortable with your gut feel and personality is the right choice !
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask yourself this...

If it breaks can I fix it?
What areas do I have the skill to fix?
Will I have the needed parts?
Can I get the parts?
If I cannot fix it is there someone near by who can?
How far away are they from where I broke down?
How much will it cost?
Where do I stay if it is down for more than a day? (Bring plenty of food, water, bedding material)

Shipping:
Just sit back and wait for your new money pit to show up Very Happy
1967 Bug- Gone
1964 Euro Sunroof Bug- Gone
1969/72/63 Sunroof Bug- Gone
1975 Brazilian Bug in the Philippines 🇵🇭- New to me
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you're buying a van with a known issue that prevents you from driving it, go for it. I just drove one back from Colorado to California with my wife and 13 month old daughter, and it was site unseen.

If you have had a reasonable PPI done, you're ahead of the curve.

Worst case you rent a U-Haul and tow it home yourself. Short of a complete restoration, even once you've owned it awhile it could still strand you at some point, it's 30 years old.

Enjoy the trip and welcome [to] the adventure.
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: new van Reply with quote

iliketowalk wrote:
Unless you're buying a van with a known issue that prevents you from driving it, go for it. I just drove one back from Colorado to California with my wife and 13 month old daughter, and it was site unseen.

If you have had a reasonable PPI done, you're ahead of the curve.

Worst case you rent a U-Haul and tow it home yourself. Short of a complete restoration, even once you've owned it awhile it could still strand you at some point, it's 30 years old.

Enjoy the trip and welcome [to] the adventure.
100% right. This is all part of the fun of having a van. The adventure, the people you meet, the things you see, and talking to AAA on your cell Ph from your new van. So go for it and have some fun. Oh yes bring spare parts to! Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ship
beteljuze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see you're having a pre-purchase inspection done. If that report comes out good, and as someone else said the van's been on the road (not sitting for months) than driving is home is part of the experience of Vanagon ownership. Plus I also see you live in the south of Florida, which means most of your driving will be right in your home state-Florida's a long state- so if you do need to stop, you'll most likely be in Florida. It's not like your 10 states away.
When I drove home from Ca. to NY I had a problem in Utah, literally in the middle of no where. I called Van-Cafe and the guys there help me diagnose the problem over the phone. Faulty O2 sensor. I disconnected it and drove the rest of the way without incident. It was a great experience.
Now I grant you, shipping is easier, don't get me wrong. So it's up to you to decide which you want-easy or fun.
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, this question gets asked all the time. And I'll add my story again.

My vote is to ship it. No offense to those out here in vanagonland, but I've seen some of the work done here by owners and I wouldn't trust many of the "repairs" done. That said, there are certainly those who know what they're doing and I'd have no problem taking their word for the vehicles condition.

Shipping still is the best and certainly easiest way to deal with moving the vehicle. BE SAFE. I once bought a vehicle that was supposedly a guys daily driver and it looked to be in good shape. Long story short, I lost the brakes on the truck on the drive home, single tank master cylinder, total loss of brakes. Talk about pucker factor! Shocked I was incredibly lucky not to be involved in an accident, and just happened to be in a spot where I could work it over to the side of the road. That was the very last time I took a non-wrench's word on the condition of a vehicle. If you want to bring it home yourself, put it on a trailer.

If you're set on driving it... take the good suggestions above, get a good PPI from someone who knows vanagons, plan for breakdowns (even if they don't happen), take your time, and have a plan B just in case.

Good luck.

Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now there's an adventure just WAITING to happen!
How will you ever develop a trusting relationship with your van, if you don't give it the chance to EARN your trust?

Very Happy

Fix the known issues and essentials (fuel lines) and go! For further guidance, read my motto below:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ship
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See a pattern there? The pros say ship it cause theyve been there done that and got hosed once or twice by something breaking and they loose money. One way has zero risk except cost to ship. The other has so many variables that can cost alot, or be an awesome adventure, or both. But years later you wont still be talking about how fun it was to ship it home.
Did my suby swap in seattle. Got it running on a thursday night. Fiddled with it all day friday. Hotlapped it up the Alcan saturday. Hit Homer in three days flat. Great drive no problems except running out of gas once and blowing out a front shock catching air over an invisible frost heave.
Call me stupid , crazy, ignorant, whatever. Still smile about today and am thankfull it went well. Go for it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: