Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Windshield for 412
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Windshield for 412 Reply with quote

I am guessing it is impossible to find a new windshield for a '73 412 here in the states. If I am wrong, please enlighten me.

How tricky is extracting a good used one from a donor 412, then reinstalling it into the intended 412? What does one do about the glass molding if the first part is doable enough?
bb412
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: windshield Reply with quote

,, you d,t can save all the parts,,you have need to do a choice,, for me i prefair to scrap the glass seal for to save the chrome molding and the glass,, if you want to see that look my pict,, galllery,,
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, NOS Type 4 windshields are like finding bigfoot and a smart blonde. I have bought parts cars just because they have a good windshield.

If you have skill in swapping windshields, try it yourself. If not, go to a professional. Trouble is, they won't guarantee the job unless the glass is new and sourced by them. If they break it, you're generally screwed.

Seals can be found, for big $$$$ on eBay and other places. I think a Bay window seal can also be used in a pinch.
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
ubercrap
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOS windshields used to pop up quite a bit but they are getting rarer.
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ubercrap wrote:
NOS windshields used to pop up quite a bit but they are getting rarer.

Were they willing to ship?
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tram put a used windshield with my original chrome trim in my square! Very Happy He does cut the old rubber and use a different rubber for the installation.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, sounds dicey. I'll have a chat with the shop who installed the rear glass on my '71 Super.

There's a four-door in the ads that has been begging my attention but that windshield has kept me from even inquiring about it. Being screwed is not on my to-do list. Laughing
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oasis wrote:
Hmmm, sounds dicey. I'll have a chat with the shop who installed the rear glass on my '71 Super.

There's a four-door in the ads that has been begging my attention but that windshield has kept me from even inquiring about it. Being screwed is not on my to-do list. Laughing

The one in Miami with the busted windshield?

Yup, I bought a car that had been a working project until the windshield had a hole put through it. After searching for 3 years for a replacement, they gave up and sold me the car as parts. Not that good glass would have helped the car much. The front of it was holier than the Pope.
1973 Super Beetle
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
kirk knighton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two NOS windshields still in the shipping crate. I live in the Seattle area; I think you would need to get it in-person, since I can't imagine how one could be shipped. Probably cost a fortune and no guarantee they wouldn't break it to pieces.
bb412
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:27 am    Post subject: winshield Reply with quote

yes KIRK,, that cost a fortune the shipping, i know that by experience,,plus no guarantee for the windshield for the door and side glass no problem
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Florida car has disappeared from the ads. Still, good info for future reference. Thanks, all.
nodrenim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a Safelite dealer-installer in your area. I had to have the windshield replaced in my bay window and they had 2 in stock. The guy told me they usually have any thing you need. I know I am not near you, but I felt compelled to let you know. Peace and Good Luck!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nodrenim wrote:
Do you have a Safelite dealer-installer in your area. I had to have the windshield replaced in my bay window and they had 2 in stock. The guy told me they usually have any thing you need. I know I am not near you, but I felt compelled to let you know. Peace and Good Luck!

Bay window windshields and rubber are easy....they still make them. Type 4 windshields. ....not so easy. Its always worth it to ask.....but over the years I have asked about a hundred. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bb412
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:05 am    Post subject: windshield for 412 Reply with quote

hi,,are you living very farr of,,,piedmond in s,c,, you can buy one for 125.$
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject: Windshield Reply with quote

Just noticed a ad that new windshields are available in Kimberton, Pa, but he won't ship. Must be pick-up only.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Reply with quote

titan3c wrote:
Just noticed a ad that new windshields are available in Kimberton, Pa, but he won't ship. Must be pick-up only.

Can you post a link to the ad?....I will be within 1 hour of Kimberton in a week. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: windshield 411/412 Reply with quote

He is on samba Classifieds under topic windshield. Where do you live?
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I see your in Iowa. Was hoping you were a little closer to me in Okla. I noticed your earlier posting on the type 4 suspension-----interesting information not to be taken lightly. I have replaced my 411 idler bushing(recently), and the front struts on mine were replaced way back in the late 70's(mine is a 71, and I'm the original owner). Question: Would the replacing of the struts then, at a VW dealer, possibly cleared up any of the problems you mentioned? BTW I worked and lived for awhile in your neighborhood some years back. I was the GM at the Adventureland Inn in Altoona. The owner I think was Jack Kantz
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titan3c wrote:
Ok I see your in Iowa. Was hoping you were a little closer to me in Okla. I noticed your earlier posting on the type 4 suspension-----interesting information not to be taken lightly. I have replaced my 411 idler bushing(recently), and the front struts on mine were replaced way back in the late 70's(mine is a 71, and I'm the original owner). Question: Would the replacing of the struts then, at a VW dealer, possibly cleared up any of the problems you mentioned? BTW I worked and lived for awhile in your neighborhood some years back. I was the GM at the Adventureland Inn in Altoona. The owner I think was Jack Kantz

I was in OKC a week ago. Went to high school in Choctaw....went to OU. Im in okc quite 9ften. My parents are there. I will be foad tripping fo Philly next week.

The good thing about dealer installed struts is that outside of the top o-ring that can be replaced.....there are no rubber parts inside to go bad with age. As long as it has low miles, the correct amount of original oil in it.....they will function for quite a while.

However. ...they have the same bushing issues if they are early strut bushing.....age is as bad as milage on the strut bushing....and they have poor rebound control valving. Keep an extra 75-100 lbs in the trunk and they function better.

They really are nicely built.......and I am assumimg they replaced them with factory oil struts....which do not use cartridges with seals. They used finely fitted and honed chrome piston rings.

If there are any significant oil stains around the top strut collars......they are on their way out.
The problem with recharging them....is you have to know the exact amount of oil.....too, much by even a half pint will blow out the top seal causing death to the strut fairly quickly. Too little and the lower circuit runs dry....same result.

Also the exact oil viscosity must be used.....slightly too thick or thin causes all the above problems. The fluid path in the factory struts is not as simple as a glance would suggest.

I tried a dozen different oils.....and many volume of oil charge back in the day.....never got it right. Ray
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You certainly have the knowledge needed for these vehicles. I live in Coweta, near Tulsa. Let me know the next time your down this way I would like to show you my 411, take some advice. By the way my email is [email protected]. Would appreciate if you would contact me there. Bob
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: