Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Passat W8
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:42 pm    Post subject: Passat W8 Reply with quote

I've been told the later Touareg V8 engines (2007-forward) are the better engines to get when considering a Touareg. Are the 2004-06 Touareg V8s the same as the Passat W8s? Even if they are different, are there concerns with the Passat W8s?

(I know this is a shot in the dark, and I may go to VWVortex with this ... but any help is appreciated.)
73sports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the W8 is a completely different engine only used in the Passat. The Touareg used a traditional v8. The earlier Touaregs used the same v8 as the Phaeton and Audi A8. The later ones used the FSI V8 that Audi uses. I don't know why one would consider the FSI engine a better one they are just 2 different ways of doing the same thing.

Central Jersey VW Society
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

Touareg-wise, I was told the newer FSI engines got better mileage, had more HP, had a timing chain versus belt for less maintenance, and had fewer quirks related to a 4-valve head over the 5-valve. I don't remember the quirks specifically. This is what I accumulated over three main sources -- the VW shop I have been going to since 1988, the most recent dealership with which I have faith, and a Touareg site.

Passat-wise, a W8 caught my eye. I liked my dad's Passat -- same generation but a little older -- but the 1.8T was goofy in my opinion with the automatic. I don't think either was "bad" -- I just didn't think they meshed well together. At any rate, the W8 is a 6-speed.

We are looking to sell Eos and get something with more utility. So, that has led us to thinking about a used Touareg or a newish Tiguan. I'm also looking for something to pile miles onto as my commute may be getting longer in the near future, and I don't necessarily want to put my Eos/Touareg/Tiguan through the daily flog. (Obviously, a W8 would not be an economical choice but rather a fun choice.)

Anyway, thanks for the clarity.
73sports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you're going have a bit of a commute, and want to haul stuff here and there, I would suggest TDI wagon. Of course if you are looking for 4motion, then the wagon would be out.

oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume by TDI wagon you mean the Jetta Sportwagen. Yes, it had a lot of appeal for me. I do want something AWD/4WD and I would like a shared daily where I can climb into the vehicle rather than crawl into it. That's where I want another Tiguan or a Touareg.

The additional car can be anything. Getting in and out of Eos (and Thing!) is getting to be more of a chore each day. My dad's Passat was easier in that regard, so a W8 seemed like a fun idea. I saw a newer Passat wagon (guessing 2007 or so) with 4-motion listed on its gate. I didn't know they existed. It would be nice if my wife and I could each have an AWD vehicle at our disposal at the same time.

Of course, having two cars that got into the 40s with MPG would be nice, too.

The truth is I still like my Eos. It's surprisingly fast and it exceeds its listed MPG by far if I hit cruise control and stay in the right lane. Given the depreciation hit I would take on it, keeping it despite its relative impracticality may be the route to go. Getting a Tiguan or a Touareg comes first; then, practicality may not matter so much anymore. And having two convertibles isn't exactly a hardship. (Perhaps silly) Rolling Eyes
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The W8 motor has a great sound and performance, but was plagued with as many gremlins or more than VW's of that era. And even in the Passat was luck to manage 17-18mpg's. All of the B5 and B5.5 Passats were available with 4Motion and generally had the 2.8L 30V motor. Towards the end there were a few with the 1.8T and 4Motion, but those were rare.
jmartin7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oasis wrote:
I saw a newer Passat wagon (guessing 2007 or so) with 4-motion listed on its gate. I didn't know they existed. It would be nice if my wife and I could each have an AWD vehicle at our disposal at the same time.

Those are nice cars that are rare but without having all of the headache of having a rare car. That is the B6 platform Passat and with 4motion you get the VR6 engine and tiptronic automatic transmission. It is an unusual combination, but all of the parts are common across other models unlike the W8 engine.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info. Thanks! Cool

My search pattern gets more eclectic all the time with models being added and dismissed.
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an 03 W8 wagon. I love it, can't part with it, even though I was supposed to trade it in when I bought my tdi.

It loves the highway and excels in bad weather. it's my Panzer tank.

MPG- sucks and went to hell when they went to the ethanol blend. 18-19 on the highway. I used to get 25ish.

There was a common problem with the variable valve timing related to a stupid oil screen in the back of the motor. It's an engine pull to fix it. Mine always idled like shit until the oil pressure came up on a cold start. internal parts for the engine are essentially unobtanium, and even the peripherals can be a challenge to find. I had no choice but to pay dealer price for the water cooled alternator. The rebuild shops around here wouldn't touch it. Some dealers around here also won't or don't want to touch it either. great car, great motor, too rare.

Personally, I'd given up looking for an 05 TDI passat wagon when I bought the 12 tdi (which I am very happy with, just wish it was a wagon.
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)

Last edited by HeidelbergJohn4.0 on Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ghettopenny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an '03 W8 brand new. I LOVED it. But it didn't love me back. 35 trips in for repair in under 35k miles. Electrical gremlins everywhere. Torque converter failure. CV boot failure. Climate Control Module corrosion due to clogged sunroof drain. The above mentioned oil screen problem. OEM HID ballast failures. Climatronic problems. Trunk would open randomly while driving. Doors would unlock then re lock while driving then the alarm system would go off. I was so disappointed because I really enjoyed driving it but I just couldn't handle all the down time and unreliability. Others have had the opposite experience. I see many for sale touted for their reliability.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although the W8 I originally inquired about was a sedan and not a wagon, the wagon talk has brought up another question I may or may not be remembering correctly.

Did some (or all) Passat wagons across the different generations lose their ability to have the back seat fold down if equipped with 4-motion or syncro (including the QSW)?

It seems to me when shopping with my dad years ago for his Passat I noticed something like that in a brochure or something.
73sports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was just sedans, like the W8 version, not the wagons.

oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

73sports wrote:
I think it was just sedans, like the W8 version, not the wagons.

Oh. So much for remembering something from 12 years ago. Wink
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oasis wrote:
Although the W8 I originally inquired about was a sedan and not a wagon, the wagon talk has brought up another question I may or may not be remembering correctly.

Did some (or all) Passat wagons across the different generations lose their ability to have the back seat fold down if equipped with 4-motion or syncro (including the QSW)?

It seems to me when shopping with my dad years ago for his Passat I noticed something like that in a brochure or something.

I've had two b5 wagons, a 1.8t and the W8. Both folded down and I've slept in both many times. I believe it was only the w8 sedan that had a fixed rear seat in teh sedan.
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"We are looking to sell Eos and get something with more utility."

Honda makes a really nice option called a Ridgeline - VWOA cannot seem to see fit to offer us their option...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bnc
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're leaning towards keeping Eos. We already took the brunt of the depreciation, and we always justified the new cars we bought by keeping them a long time -- Jetta 16.5 years, Golf 12.5 years and counting, Passat 11 years, and Cabrio 8 years. (Eos and Tiguan were purchased new.)

Except for three power windows that were replaced under warranty, under extended warranty, and under replacement warranty, Eos has been a faithful car.

Although a Passat W8 wagon with 4-motion is intriguing, trading down to car that is likely six years older with many more miles and an unknown history doesn't seem to make sense just for a few thousand dollars.

Minus those few thousand dollars, though, means we are probably not going to go after an R-Line Tiguan that is off lease and just a year old. We are more likely to go after a 2007-09 Touareg to get our utility. That way, the purchase would be in cash and without contingencies.

Funny, the Honda Ridgeline was brought up in conversation. It is one of the few Hondas I like should I make my first departure from VW in almost 29 years. It is not totally out of the question, and would be far more easy to find equipped the way I would want it than the Touareg.

As for the Amarok, it sure does look nice. Hard to know if VWoA would consider bringing in the beast if they could circumvent the stupid "chicken tax." It would command a pretty hefty price -- more than what most yanks would pay.

VW has been dummying down the Touareg over the years -- which is understandable for the masses. However, making options unavailable for those who would pony up the extra dough for them just makes enthusiasts sore.

The irony is by keeping Eos and possibly buying a Touareg, it is Thing that may be hitting the classified section since we would have utility and a drop top. There are other "fun" vehicles for buzzing around. We'll see ...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: