Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking at a 412 locally... New to these, what to look for.
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Looking at a 412 locally... New to these, what to look for. Reply with quote

I am going to look at a local 412, mainly because this guy has to get rid of the car due to his town code does not allow "junk" cars in the driveway. It goes to the junkyard 12-1 if not sold by then.

In pictures the body looks pretty solid. It has no engine or transmission. It was an automatic. Interior unknown. I am familiar with the type 4 engine in a bus mated to a 4 spd.

What should I look for on this car? I can take some pics and post for opinions. The current asking price is what has me even going to look. I do not need another project, just ask my wife!

I have always thought these were cool looking cars. But I know they are somewhat rare and parts can be hard to come by.

Opinions and advice are welcome.

68 Westy
92 Jetta (oh it is retired)
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
72 Westy (I am going to fix it up)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It WILL be a project.

If you want to take it on.....look for COMPLETENESS above all....glass, suspension intact (although all 411/412 require complete suspension rebuild unless its already, been done with new parts....all....within the past 2 years).....but nothing missing.
Interior complete...but it will always need work.....

And.....rust. Check the lower door sills inboard of the seals. When the door drains get plugged the doors fill with water and rust.
check all along the heater, channels inside and out.
check the rear suspension beam mounting points for rust
Check all around the front struts and mounting points for chassis rust
check all of the floorboards for rust throughs. The battery pan needing to be replaced is fine....but major pan sect8ons being rust throughs is not.
these cars havecno replaceable pans.....they are a unitized chassis.

Make sure the gas heater is intact even ir not working.

This will never be a buy it and drive it type of car. It has virtually nothing in common with any other ACVW type.

If you are not up for a project.....but want to save it....get it for cheap and sell it to someone who wants it for cheap.
restoring a,411/412 is aclong term thing....not a quicky. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on. Good info. I will check it all out. Right now I am in save it mode. I have barn space lol. I would probably pass it on if I buy it, unless the wife or one of the kids simply refuses to let that happen. I have never seen one in person in PA.

I will be back with more info.

Thank you for the response.

68 Westy
92 Jetta (oh it is retired)
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
72 Westy (I am going to fix it up)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soissisc wrote:
Right on. Good info. I will check it all out. Right now I am in save it mode. I have barn space lol. I would probably pass it on if I buy it, unless the wife or one of the kids simply refuses to let that happen. I have never seen one in person in PA.

I will be back with more info.

Thank you for the response.

Post some pics and tell us what the price is and we will help if we can. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a good one & have it shipped! http://bend.craigslist.org/cto/4771111955.html
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Buy a good one & have it shipped! http://bend.craigslist.org/cto/4771111955.html

Amazing how a $300 priced car 6 months ago shot up in price so much. It used to be advertised as parts or the crusher was going to eat it.
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

19super73 wrote:
Mike Fisher wrote:

Amazing how a $300 priced car 6 months ago shot up in price so much. It used to be advertised as parts or the crusher was going to eat it.

Says it runs and drives Laughing ....maybe....but did you notice the black tow rope/strap in the zecond to last front end picture?
Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: