Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DIY head porting
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
myolbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: DIY head porting Reply with quote

I haven't yet read the book about head porting the VW head, but this article makes a lot of sense. I am a complete noob when it comes to head porting, but I think that there is good info in this.

http://www.sa-motorsports.com/diyport.shtm
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

candyman wrote:
i broke my brain over ten years ago and its still dumb
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kaferfiend
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY head porting Reply with quote

myolbug wrote:
I haven't yet read the book about head porting the VW head, but this article makes a lot of sense. I am a complete noob when it comes to head porting, but I think that there is good info in this.

http://www.sa-motorsports.com/diyport.shtm

Great head porting comes from many years of experience. The best guys out there have all the tools, including flow benches.

Many times, guys that port their own heads find that they actually lost performance mainly due to the lack of velocity thru the port. This causes the power to fall off sharp off idle, and depending upon cam, valve config, and carb setup you either get mad top end, or it never quite gets the chance to do it's job.

That being said, there are a LOT of VW heads out there to practice on, and no one ever said you can't learn anything new. Smile The porting I've done is simple but effective. Smooth out the rough areas on both sides, polish the exhaust and leave the intake a satin finish. Match the manifolds, and go driving. This doesn't disrupt the velocity thru the port, and gives you some added juice at the top of the ladder. It's VERY time consuming, but hey... you have lot's of time, right? Smile

-kf
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't read a CHEVY book and build a screaming VW.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
jackstraw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I have my stock 1600DP heads machined to fit 90.5mm p/c or is it wise to buy the new heads? Which heads are best?

1997 Jetta GT
1984 Diesel Rabbit
kevinrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a slight port job on mine. We got into it, and wasnt exactly sure how much we could port out, so we didn't do a lot, to be on the safe side. I trusted my friend with them, he's ported a few heads, and machine shops have told him they look great. I'm going to port a lot more on the next set of heads I do.
myolbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:

I have to disagree with you. The air/fuel mix doesn't know or care what head it's going through. But rather how easy is it for it to do that. The article covered some universal principals. This isn't DRD head porting 101, it is just some tricks that are easy to do to smooth the flow, and speed up the charge.
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

candyman wrote:
i broke my brain over ten years ago and its still dumb
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kaferfiend
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:

A Chevy engine is just as much of an air-pump as a VW engine. They benefit from the same adjustments, and/or mods. Porting, compression, duration and lift all have the same effect.

Just cause it's a VW, doesn't mean it works different. It just looks different.

-kf
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rocknrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:

Can you read a primer on internal combustion engines and learn something about a VW? Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: