Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

vinyl restore
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AdAmWeArSbLaK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: vinyl restore Reply with quote

ok i have a 68 bay window. in VERY good shape. the vinyl seats have yellowing and there are two tears. one on the driver seat and one on the middle bench seat.. now i want to keep this baby as OG as possible so i was wanting to restore the seats. but i dont know how or what i need to do to get it cleaned up.. can anyone give me some advice about getting this done and having those tears fixed... thanks

adam
onelowzuki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are white I would try whitewall cleaner for tires. I use it on tires, patio furniture, and even my white sneakers and it always does the job
ddare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a mixture of bleach and water with mixxed results, as well as using that orange cleaner stuff, and 409. The bleach is pretty corrosive, and it tears up the window seals. I found this out after doing my headliner. But at least my headliner is nice and white. And the bleach runs down, gets on the carpet, etc...I wouldn't recommend it unless you're extremely careful. There has to be a better way Smile
AdAmWeArSbLaK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx.. any ideas on what to do about tears in the vinyl.. should those seats just be re-upholstered?? i dont really wanna do that but if its my only option i guess i will.
onelowzuki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the tears, if they are clean tears (not frayed) I have used super glue carefully placed. Its hardly noticeable but requires a little patience
AdAmWeArSbLaK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no they are frayed too much to do that.. i decided im gonna go with seat covers.. now all i need to do is find some ivory or grey colored basketweave covers all around.. front middle and rear... anyone got a recomendation?
kafer71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the tears are tooo frayed...I had gotten good results lightly triming them and using another piece of vinyl as a "backer" and put in in the tear ang glueing the upper to the lower and letting it setup. It all depends on where it is and how large though.

-b-
Bill E.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try some purple stuff on the door pillars and maybe on the seats. Just rinse good with warm water when done. I know it says to not use on plastic, but I had to try and it works real good!! Very Happy
AdAmWeArSbLaK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: