Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Does anyone have any experiece with "Vampliers" ?
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Does anyone have any experiece with "Vampliers" ? Reply with quote

Does anyone have any experience with Vampliers?

See here:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=vampliers

I'm just wondering if they're any good or not.

-Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a good way to booger up your fasteners. On the other hand they look like they would remove a boogered up fastener rather effectively.
I guess your need depends on how often you deal with boogered up stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used them but I have had pretty good success when needing something like this just using vise grips. Once they are clamped on you can then use both hands to turn them and don't have to worry about using muscles to keep them tight on the fastener.
jensend
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually have used these quite successfully in a number of situations where vice grips and other tools were not appropriate or successful. The plier has great grip in very tight spaces and ahas jaws designed to grip deformed fasteners or ones with damaged or missing heads. it's a good "Oh Sh+T " tool IMO.
e&m_ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a small version of these. Or at least something pretty close:
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=48332&cat=1,43456,43400

They're really useful for woodworking/carpentry and general tasks around the house, and tend to cause a minimum of collateral damage. I reach for them before I'll touch anything with vice-grips...

But I haven't found any fasteners on the Ghia, so far, that I've disrespected enough to try these pliers on... Not to say I won't...
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look like the perfect thing to unscrew the cheap Chinese stainless steel square drive screws I was assembling closet shelves with that stripped out or snapped off when they hit the 180 yr old studs behind the plaster and lath.

The broken fasteners I've dealt with in cars laugh off vice grips let alone a pair of pliers!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: