Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New engine in & now lots of noise
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
P-garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: New engine in & now lots of noise Reply with quote

Pulled the stock motor & installed an 1800 stroker with dual carbs. Installed new clutch & pressure plate also. I left the throw out bearing alone as it was less than a year old. Clutch was the same that was on the old engine. Started the car in neutral & everything was running great. Put it into gear and nothing. No reverse or forward gears. Went and checked all the engine bolts again to make sure it was mated properly. Had to snug down the bolts a little more after having the engine run a bit. Stated the engine again put in the clutch. Pedal went to the floor & then all hell broke loose. Lots of screeching coming from the tranny area. Tried adjusting the clutch cable. Pedal still moves the throwout arm - just not sure if it's moving it enough. I'm assuming the cable is stretched, so I'll be replacing that. Any idea what the screeching noise is from? May have to pull the whole thing apart again!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
THINGONER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pressure plate same as old one? Maybe T.O. bearing not on fork propery?

Last edited by THINGONER on Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you might have knocked the throw out bearing off while installing the engine.
GB
P-garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crap... sounds like I'm pulling the engine again
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you said you installed a new plate and disk with the junk that is out today there might be trouble with the new parts also depending on what kind of plate you put in if it was a 9 spring plate and you did not remove the clips on the plate after you tighten it up they will come out the first time you shove the pedal down and will fly out and make a lot of noise it is also possible the throw out bearing is off and it broke the arm that holds it on . Was the engine out for a long time the throw out bearing could have locked up from being left out side for a long time. It looks like the engine needs to come out . Good luck
P-garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulled the engine tonite. Looks like one of the clips came off the TO bearing. Bearing was destroyed. Going to replace all the clutch parts just to be safe. No damage to the flywheel (my lucky break)
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have worked on German cars for over 50 years. We raced in Germany for 10 years with the VW's in Auto Cross. Have seen that many times. I used to take the U clip and compress it together a little bit to make it tighter to stop them from coming off while installing the engine.
GB
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P-garage wrote:
Pulled the engine tonite. Looks like one of the clips came off the TO bearing. Bearing was destroyed. Going to replace all the clutch parts just to be safe. No damage to the flywheel (my lucky break)
Also check the tube that holds the bearing they get bent so make sure the t/o bearing slides easy on the shaft the thing does not use the old style u style clips
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stand corrected on the U clip, been a while since I have had a Air Cooled engine out. lol.
GB
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe someone put a early Trans in with the old style bearing. Pics would really help.
P-garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bearing was the right one. It worked fine with the engine I had in up to this weekend. I think one of the clips came loose during the engine install. Bearing was barely hanging on one side & completely destroyed
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: