Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

PPG formula for dove blue
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: PPG formula for dove blue Reply with quote

i am having a major problem with getting my paint store to color match my dove blue overhead vent cover. they have mixed 6 quarts of paint and everyone is way off. they even mixed it in ppg global by code saying it should be the closest match. it turned out tarheal blue, not even close.
can someone post a formula that they know for sure is correct? it has to be ppg's formula not the glasurit that is on the samba. it would be great if i could get it for the omni line, as well as the global.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
VintageVulture
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this is the formula for PPG Concept single stage urethane. It's not a perfect match but is very very close. If you want a perfect match don't expect to get it from a modern paint formula... What i do in this sutuation is buy a small/correct amount of the proper formula in the brand of my choice- then buy several of the mixing bottles filled with the major toners that make up the color... Then you can "tint" the new paint to "match" your color.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

the above photo is the appropriate amount for a gallon of paint. This is the Bus that paint wound up on...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

hope this helps a little Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks that should help.
i got a ss 2k urethane that the store matched up somewhat close. i am using it for touchup only on repaired areas so i am not painting the whole bus as of yet. he also said that i didn't need the hardener and i could spray without using the correct reducer. however, i dabbed a little on the top of the can to see the color when dried and it's still tacky 15 hours later. wtf? i have been to this store 6 times and have gotten 3 types of paint. ppg global, 2k urethane, and omni ss enamel. really at a loss as what do do.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand why he told you that you didn't need to mix the reducer and hardener in with the paint. I think that that is bad advice.
Naked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might want to look for another jobber/store. No reason it should take them that many formulas to try to find an acceptable match, or at least a tintable. If they were smart, after the 2nd try they would of only made up a small amount 2-3oz. And see if an alternate formula may have been closer. Most jobbers shouldnt have a problem tinting a color and getting it correct. Close enough no one would notice. Its all about the illusion of being the right color.

68' Vert
VintageVulture
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most auto body supply stores barely pay enough to hire people that have a lot of painting experience. Most of the employees end up giving advice taught to them by the store management. There are a few guys that work in the local shops here that know their stuff but I've had to bite my lip a time or two when getting "advice" from the new guys that have no idea that I do this for a living. It's almost fun and definitely funny...

Omni ss will never look good and matches worse. You can spray enamels and urethanes w/out reducers or hardeners but any spilled gasoline or solvent splashes will immediately wrinkle it. If you plan on touching it up now and painting it in 2015, just buy the cheap stuff and expect to strip it later.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK here we go again; I am having trouble finding a close match for
dove blue.

PPG store mixed it by code in Shop Line SS Acrylic Urethane and it's not a close enough match.

He tried agian with their Durafleet SS Polyurethane and it's not correct either; color is too grey looking; He actually scanned the overhead vent cover I brought with me and it gave him the sample card it was mixed from. It looked almost dead on looking at the card.

Does someone have a formula in the Durafleet or Shopline PPG lines that is a close match for Dove Blue? I am trying to get this bus painted before cold weather and am at a loss what to do.

Thomas Jefferson
vwpackrat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dove Blue in PPG is #11668 see if thats what they used.

btw............that Shop Line is bottom of the barrel in PPG products......will look differently than other qualities of PPG. But also they sometimes only come in Shop Line.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: