Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
eddiemoney
East Coast Scavenger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

VEE DUB BOYS wrote:
Started today building my Heb steel replica.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

is this your son?

i ask because if this is you, you're awfully ambitious to be taking on such a task at such a young age, but hey "When in Rome"... Cool

j/k good luck with the build and post more pictures

instagram im_eating_pizza
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

eddiemoney wrote:

is this your son?

i ask because if this is you, you're awfully ambitious to be taking on such a task at such a young age, but hey "When in Rome"... Cool

Yes, this is my son. He loves to help most of the time. He goes off to play for a while then jumps back on task. Love to teach him a trade.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanInMass54 wrote:
Since you mentioned it - may I ask the name/color code of that hebzwitter?

Sorry buddy, I seem to have erased the original answer to your question. Hebzwitter is L37 Medium Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theastronaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great project! Eddie was telling me about your project awhile back, good to see a build topic here so we can see the updates. I'm in Anderson, just a few miles from where you're building the car.

'64 Beetle Sunroof OG Bahama Blue
'63 Beetle Vert
'66 Beetle
'88 Festiva L
'89 Festiva L
'64 Chevy C10
'66 Chevy C10
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theastronaut wrote:
Great project! Eddie was telling me about your project awhile back, good to see a build topic here so we can see the updates. I'm in Anderson, just a few miles from where you're building the car.

Will have to let you know when we are there next time. It is going well. Most of the inner parts as well as the cowl are roughly made. We were just there tonight and made the passenger side cowl support. Dancing
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Mocking up the drip pan to the cowl supports Reply with quote

Laying out the template for the passenger side cowl support. Here you can see the forward angle of the firewall to accommodate the Heb only air filter.

VW buddy Eddie on the left and me on the right tearing into some sheet metal for the cowl support. I found a large steel desk several years ago which had the correct tight radius for the inner supports and saved it for these two pieces.

That is my little fella hammering some radius bends on a makeshift anvil. He swings a mad hammer so Daddy had to watch his fingers!

Just had to tack the drain pan onto the cowl braces to test the fit!
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Lightly mocked up to show form and function of the rear cowl Reply with quote

VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Metal finishing rear cowl on the Heb replica Reply with quote

Hammer and dolly work. Also did some shrinking and stretching.

It will be a while before I can get back to the Heb...as I am going out of state for work for several months.
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Metal finishing rear cowl on the Heb replica Reply with quote

VEE DUB BOYS wrote:

Hammer and dolly work. Also did some shrinking and stretching.

It will be a while before I can get back to the Heb...as I am going out of state for work for several months.
minor surface rust
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:15 am    Post subject: Collecting parts way back in 1996 Reply with quote

I talked to a guy that had this front clip. He was scrapping out a crotch cooler ragtop that was in a creek/stream for several years. Drove nearly 3 hours to nab it before he tossed them in the scrap yard. Usable split dash and front clip are barely visible inside the car but the deluxe pan from 1951 is on top. Work in the great north of the U.S. is quickly coming to an end for this year. I'm planning on starting again on the build very soon.
rlmartinez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find on the 51 parts! Look forward to seeing your updates soon.
T2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates?
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T2 wrote:
Any updates?
unfortunately had to extend my work in the oilfields of North Dakota until Christmas time. Gotta pay the bills
type4split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. What is your plan for the windshield frame ?
'50-something convertible (*need ribbed 'vert quarter panel )
'63 "milo" beetle
Part, parts and more parts
stevie_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:23 am    Post subject: Heb replica Reply with quote

Hi. I think you are doing a great job of reproducing the body panels for your Heb replica. Just in case you don´t know the site yet, the blech manufaktur reproduces all metal parts necessary for a Heb build (although the price for a complete set is way above my budget).
http://www.blech-manufaktur.de/40597/home.html
Obviously, you are more than capable of doing it yourself, but maybe it is of some use for you. If you click on "Mein Angebot" (my offer) at left you can "Download Teileliste" (parts list) and by clicking into the picture, you can increase its size.
Anyway, great work. I´m looking forward to the result.
Greetings from Austria,
Stevie
peter schepens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy a windshield frame from Dr D Blechmanufacture.. or maybe a cheaper solution is to graft a front window frame from an oval karmann... Later cars had a different shape. Be sure to put in the reinforcement rails another rail and one inside the heater channel an extra rail.. The front window is extra supported by a tube inside it that is bolted welded to a reinforcement panel left and right in the front 1/4 panel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
type4split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have seen the windshield frames that are available, however at over $4000usd makes this a very costly option.
'50-something convertible (*need ribbed 'vert quarter panel )
'63 "milo" beetle
Part, parts and more parts
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Heb replica Reply with quote

stevie_z wrote:
Hi. I think you are doing a great job of reproducing the body panels for your Heb replica. Just in case you don´t know the site yet, the blech manufaktur reproduces all metal parts necessary for a Heb build (although the price for a complete set is way above my budget).
http://www.blech-manufaktur.de/40597/home.html
Obviously, you are more than capable of doing it yourself, but maybe it is of some use for you. If you click on "Mein Angebot" (my offer) at left you can "Download Teileliste" (parts list) and by clicking into the picture, you can increase its size.
Anyway, great work. I´m looking forward to the result.
Greetings from Austria,
Stevie
. Thanks for the tip on the panels. Sorry to say, but I can't afford the option. Thankfully I have a good friend with a shop and tools that I can be very creative with!
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Heb replica Reply with quote

Not too long ago I found this Georgia Pacific paper towel dispenser on a job. It was going to be thrown away. I've always looked at them thinking they looked similar to the Heb interior lights.

Last edited by VEE DUB BOYS on Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

type4split wrote:
Yes, I have seen the windshield frames that are available, however at over $4000usd makes this a very costly option.
Yes, fortunately found a 1954 oval vert front clip 15 years ago for $100. Good friends gave me the deal for the future Heb build.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: