Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ultimate redux swap thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soo, anyone wanna talk about the fleet line?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=374289

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

YOUBUGME2 wrote:

Crasy looking

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
So, I was cruising the FleeceBay and stumbled across a set of RGB's that have been converted to a U-Joint yoke.

Great find Joe. I have been searching for a set of Brazilian baywindow RGB's
for awhile now.

My 59 kombi build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635003&highlight=

My buggy build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558601&highlight=

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alex77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post.
A lot of usefull info.

Im building a tranny for street/off road baja

The RGB's would be mainly for lift.

Do any of you guys have run a setup like these one.

1st gear 3.78
2nd gear 2.06
3rd gear 1.26
4th gear .82
R&P 3.88
RGB 1.26
Tires 235/75/15

Want to run the 3.88 to 1 R&P
To see if it reduces torrque at the wheels to make the wheel hop less.

Also just tryint to figure out if anyone has doneany rear brake update on the RGB's
Cause i want to run rear vanagon self adjusting brakes or any other setup that could be retrofited.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brettsvw wrote:

Great find Joe. I have been searching for a set of Brazilian baywindow RGB's
for awhile now.

That's a brilliant find. I want a swing axle car to do this too.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alex77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foun this on an australian forum

http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=89034

Wold be interesting using the duoble plate spring plates instead of the single plate.
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate redux swap thread Reply with quote

Looking to install RGB in a tub buggy.

I have a Type I and Bus rear torsion housing and like the simple solution from Ian http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=538730

The Bus Torsion is 3" wider (44 1/2") than the Beetle. The bus plates are both thicker (0.2" vs 0.155") and taller (or wider) than the Beetle.

Would the added beef from the bus arms reduce or eliminate the need for a no hop kit?

I have also read about adding brittleness to the spring plates from welding, any thoughts?

Thank you, Jeff[img][/img][img][/img]

Last edited by heywebonya on Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate redux swap thread Reply with quote

The Wheel hop is because of the orientation of the gears being lined up vertically. Bus or Beetle will wheel hop unless a different geometry is established, like a no hope kit or laying them down in a horizontal position.

The only advantage of using the bus torsion housing is the spring plates are already set up for it, and you will use the thicker/stronger spring plates.

For welding spring plates, all that is needed is a reversal treatment. Heat up and slow the cooling to get the metal back to being flexible.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate redux swap thread Reply with quote

In restricted Score racing before after market spring plates were allowed, we were doubling up stock spring plates and welding the additional plate at the hub only full circle and welded the back edges just even with the hub. The donuts had to be modified for the extra wide blades. I am not sure what would happen if you actually fully welded the two together. The theory at the time was to still allow flexibility (or to keep iit looking stock under tech inspection) . I do know we went from breaking and fracturing stock springplates to never having the issue again. They lasted multiple B1k and 500k Baja races with no issues. Were transferred to a recreational Baja and lasted another 20 years.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate redux swap thread Reply with quote

JoeCool,

The alignment of the gears and the fact that the torque is being applied off axis of the plates and tubes is the likely culprit of the hopping. This is why the laydown kits have less issues with hopping.

I am thinking the wheel hop is due to flexing of spring arms in the lateral direction causing the spring arm to bow (and increased toe-in). This bowing reaches a maximum and flexes back and forth giving rise to hopping.

The JJ No Hop kit prevents this by adding a second link to prevent the hopping and associated toe-in.

OldSchool,

Thanks for the input, I was worried about the change in plate properties from welding.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate redux swap thread Reply with quote

The buses that have the RGB's wheel hop like crazy. It is the climbing that the gears in the vertical position create. It is not a spring plate position issue.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate redux swap thread Reply with quote

JoeCool,

That is interesting, I had never read about the issue in busses (but I have never owned one either).

I will think about this.

How has the no hop kit worked? Have you had a chance to work it out?

Thanks, Jeff
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate redux swap thread Reply with quote

The top gear rotates backward, or like it was in reverse. Which it trys to wrap itself around the lower gear when the tire is in contact with the pavement. It creates a awkward movement on the gear box. Most buses with RGB's have low powered engines compared to their weight. They will only hop when spinning or going up gravel roads.

I put a larger engine in my '59 SCab and it hopped like a madman when power was applied. They will hop so violent under increased power, it will actually split the transaxle case into two pieces like this one did on a bus owner who ran his off road a lot.

I did not finish the Oval Baja, but sold the body 1 1/2 weeks ago to a fellow in Dayton Ohio who wanted the body to build a Pro Mod Drag Car with. I still have the completed chassis and will be putting a Sand Flea Truggy on it this winter. I did build another transaxle for it that has a 3.88 Ring and Pinion with a 0.82 welded 4th gear. This will allow me to run 70 MPH with a 31 inch tall rear tire at 3150 RPM. The Sand Flea has heat, so it will be my Winter buggy.

thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate redux swap thread Reply with quote

I have reduction boxes on my Baja Bug. I've had them mounted upright and laydown style.

Wheel hop is more severe in the upright position. It still exists in the laydown position, but is not as extreme.
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate redux swap thread Reply with quote

TheFladge,

Do you still have the buggy with the GRB?

I looked at your picture gallery and it appears that you used the stock (and improved sway away) spring plates.

Is this the JJ laydown kit? What is the thickness of the offset? ~1 1/2"

thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate redux swap thread Reply with quote

Yes I do. It has Sway-A-Way spring plates and torsion bars.

It's a vintage John Johnson laydown kit. I fabricated the shock mounts and the brace bars for the axle tubes.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate redux swap thread Reply with quote

Looks like a laydown set up in the classifieds

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1972001
alex77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate redux swap thread Reply with quote

Bringing this back from the dead.

I have a 94 mexiveetle bj/swing axle
And already have front end with adjusters and type181 spindles.
Also the ring and pinion are flipped and have everything except the rear brake drums for the large nut rgb.
So my million dollar question is:
Have any of you guys ever used al late model bay bus drums and hubs on the large nut rgb or even use self adjusting rear brakes.
I could imagine that its compatible with some slight modification.
syncrogreg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate redux swap thread Reply with quote

Does anybody know where I could buy some new gears for those RGB'S boxes?

Thanks

Greg

travel pictures:
http://instagram.com/crepeattack/

- the Pastis build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=434656&highlight=subaru+diesel
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hebster52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate redux swap thread Reply with quote

Been collecting parts for a lifted stock sedan bug for a few years. Scored a -56 splitbus transmission that had been modified and fitted into a splitbug way back in late 50's...

Full project can be seen here in the Readers rides section. Wife's -66

Long story short, I swapped the driveaxles into a type-1 transmission and flipped the ring gear.

As the original shockmounts had been cut of by original builder 50 years ago I made a jig from type-1 axletubes so I could get the lower mount as close to original as possible..

The KidVRod project
The 356 Pre-A replica,SOLD
The 1966 Kommanderwagen, SOLD
The Doppel -67, SOLD
The Singlecab -72, SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Babyblue60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate redux swap thread Reply with quote

Does anyone know the spacer thickness between the adapter and spring plate?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 16

Jump to: