Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Choice of floor pans
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
heapes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Choice of floor pans Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum and new to working on VW's. I just recently saved a 1971 Marina Blue Convertible Super beetle from an older gentleman that started to scatter it but didn't get too far before losing interest. I am very capable at mechanic, body, painting, welding and metal fabrication work (thank God for fathers that teach their children). This beetle will be needing the rear 30-32 inches of each side of the floor pan. I would prefer to just replace the whole length. It seems that the pans available vary in quality greatly. So here is my question. What suppliers have any of you had experience purchasing pans from and what do you think of the fit and quality? I am considering the heavier gauge (18gauge) pans that some sell. How do they fit and do you all think it really makes a difference over the 20 gauge? They are considerably more expensive but I would like it right.

This Beetle could also use a new front and rear apron if anyone has had any experience with the reproduction panels. Seems that the general consensus is that the reproductions are poor at best. Thus, I will likely repair my originals unless someone has experience to the contrary.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Stephen
johnr156
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished replacing the pans in my 66. I purchased them from Wolsburg West and couldn't be happier with them. They are I believe oem thickness and fit perfectly without any modifications to them. I just dropped them in and welded.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfsburg West has the best you can get today. They come without the rear cross braces attached so they can ship in a smaller box. This is a good thing as the rear cross braces on your chassis are better than the new ones (try to keep your originals if you can).

You may need to trim them for the perfect fit. A convertible has less margin for error than a hardtop so I suggest you make sure the body fits before you weld the pans up.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
SmaK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like the other two said Wolfburg West. I just replaced mine two weeks ago and had the old ones out and new ones installed in less than four hours. When I used the plasma cutter the smoke covered my measurements on one side. So prior two welding them in I sat the shell back on to ensure the holes lined up. I only had to make one fix and the holes lined right up; which the correction was on the side I could read the measurements.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: