Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cable splice
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdvanderploeg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Cable splice Reply with quote

Now that I'm getting close to the end of my '50 restoration, the many boxes of parts that came with the car have dwindled down to a manageable amount, so I was able to do a final inventory. I mainly discovered a bunch of parts that are for ovals and Karmann Ghias, but I also discovered some gems, including the original trunk latch release knob & cable.

Unfortunately, my excitement was squelched when I tried to install the cable & found it was 2" too short. So, I've spent the evening hunting for a compression splice of some sort. I found plenty of swage style fittings that are two joined together side by side tubes. What I'd like to find is an in-line compression splice, similar to what's at the end of the accelerator cable, but would have a hole on both ends for cable attachment, instead of just one.

Any ideas?
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm. Interesting challenge. I presume there is enough open, exposed cable down near the latch that such a splice won't be in the tubing?

I once replicated the heater box cable ends by cutting a section of a fairly thick nail, drilling the end with a "wire" bit about the size of the cable, slipping it in, then crimping it down with vice grips. You may be able to do something like that by drilling a nail segment at both ends?

I would be concerned about it popping off and you getting locked out of the trunk though. The old school remedy for that was to cut your hood handle in half on the outside and just spin the halves off thereby releasing the hood...... not something I would want to do with the pretty expensive, cast split hood handles Shocked

The other thing you may be able to do is just tack up the extension with a MIG welder. Again though, I'd be nervous of a failure....

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mdvanderploeg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, the splice would be inside the tube. If you look at the compression fitting that attaches the knob to the cable, which has the right outside diameter to fit inside the tube, I was thinking that there might be a similar compression fitting that could act as a splice between two pieces of cable. It's a very similar compression fitting as the one at the end of the accelerator cable....again, I was thinking that there might be a similar fitting that has a hole on each end rather than just one.

I hate to have an original split hood latch cable go to waste, so would really like to figure out a way to make it work. I share your fear of the cable breaking & having no way to unlatch the hood. But, if the compression connection is good enough to attach the handle to the cable, I was thinking that it would be good enough to join two cables together.
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nail shank splice might work inside the tubing. You could test it by seeing how much strain it would take... and if you latch was well adjusted and lubed, maybe it would work pretty good.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about finding a proper steel wire and replace it all the way.
Fixing it at the handle might be easier than having it to be extended somewhere on the way.
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree to replace complete wire, here my heater cable with a new wire.

I cut a slot for the bar, and soldered a new wire there. That way I could save the VW stamp on the bar.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

New projects
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could easily fabricate an inline splice from a side by side splice by cutting it in half with a Dremel tool. A marine store for sailboat rigging will carry a huge array of wire splice tools bad supplies.
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wht not just twist the ends together and solder them?

Don
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have silver soldered brass tube from the RC model store to extend a heater cable end before. That worked well. I filled the tube with silver solder with the wire in the tube.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
I have silver soldered brass tube from the RC model store to extend a heater cable end before. That worked well. I filled the tube with silver solder with the wire in the tube.

You can also buy an inline swage at any marine store too. I brain cramped on this one when I posted above. Common application on a boat is installation of lifelines
mdvanderploeg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up doing a combination of the suggestions above. I put the two ends of wire (original and new extension) through a compression fitting (looks like a figure 8 if viewed on end) with enough tail sticking out from each end to twist around the other wire. Seems really tight. I yanked on it way harder than the force needed to pop the hood with no sign of the splice being stressed. Thanks to all who provided opinions.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: