Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Building my 69 Baja from the ground up
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
1970 Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: 1970 Buggy Reply with quote

I just fell in love ! Shocked
Adrenaline Junky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final detail and a fresh coat of wax the night before the Bug-O-Rama.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Show time!

So what does 6.5 years of attention to detail, probably over 2000 hours labor of love and burning the midnight oil with cases of Rockstar get you?

What a treat this thing is to drive Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I would like to thank all of you very much that have answered my countless emails, PMs and phone calls. The Samba really has a great off road community!!!
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1fastbigguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Man!!! The car turned out Amazing!
1fastbigguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any new news? Have you got to put many miles on the car and how is it to drive?
Adrenaline Junky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little news.... Anyone that has a daughter that plays on a travel ball team knows how much time I've had on the weekends. As a matter of fact they qualified for nationals in Huntington beach next week so there goes another week......

I haven't had it back off road since it's been painted and put back together. I've put around 100 miles on it and it seems like the suspension is starting to settle in and level out.

Been going to some local events and showing it. Just did a really cool event last Thursday at the sacramento zoo. With a paid entry we got to drive our cars into the zoo and park them around the exibits. Here's the group I went with parked by the flamingos.

Even though it wasn't a judged show, there were a group of 4 ladies that checked out all the cars and voted on the one they liked the best. I picked up the ladies choice award.

Getting it scaled. Any guesses on the weight?
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1fastbigguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally get it man! I have a 14 and 17 year old. I have had a few people voice concern over the placement of the radiator in the rear of the car and was wondering if you are getting enough air flow to keep things cool? Looking forward to seeing the cars weight... I'm guessing 2300-2400lbs.

Thanks Alan

Our build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545394
Adrenaline Junky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know I was concerned about the placement of the radiator also. Although that big radiator and 3300 CFM fan has never let the thing get over 180 degrees. Once it hits 180 the fan kicks on and it drops right back to 165 in less than a min. I'm actually going to have the fan temp moved up since these things are meant to run 185-205.

Only time it didn't come back down was on a 95 degree day crusing down the highway at 70 MPH. Fan kicked on and it sat on 180 until I hit the offramp. Then dropped right back to 165.

No complaints here!
1fastbigguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds good too me!
Stingray250
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see you up and running.... looks good man... as far as temp goes... you really want to keep this motor up around 195*/200* degree's. Back in the day with carb motors lower temp was the way to go... these EFI motors have to have the higher temps in order to maximize power and achieve proper fuel burn... not to mention at temperature all internal components are at their proper tolerances... run this motor too cool and you risk wearing the internals quicker than they would wear at normal temp.

My setup is fan in @ 195* out at 190*... runs about 195 all day long unless I boost the hell out of it several times in a row... then it only gets up to around 205*... comes down real quick though... perfect.

Not to "hi-jack" yer thread, I had some luck at a recent Classic VW Show myself... after pulling in to check it out and grab a free burger and hot dog I walked away with top honors!!! LOL!!!!

Everyone said it was the Turbocharged Ecotec that won it...

meh...

Adrenaline Junky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stingray - I have followed your turbo conversion. Very nice work. No problem with the hi-jack. Just by looking at the pictures I can appreciate all the time and effort that went into creating that beast!

Got the Baja weighed. Check out the poll. Will post answer in a few days.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565432
Adrenaline Junky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK the results are in.
- Baja weighed in at 2241
- Drivers side was 44 lbs heavier. I'm assuming due to the steering, pedal assembly and exhaust being on that side.
- Weight distribution was 35% front and 65% rear. Not sure how to get it more balanced. I have the battery and spare tire mounted under the hood. Next time I might consider mounting the radiator up front, but that would only move 50lbs or so.

That's what i know for this post....
shephard_scott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline Junky wrote:
Ecotec guys that want to run a tach - LISTEN UP. I have spent hours pouring through forums on wiring a tach to an ecotec. I have purchased a pile of parts to make it work. I spent hours on the phone with VDO trying to trouble shoot the tach because I thought it might be bad.

While down in the weeds of a forum I read "attach a wire to pin 32 of the blue connector to your tach with a 1.2k pull up resistor to +12V". I'm thinking here we go again. The guy that left the post was Steve Humphrey and he left his phone number. So I call him Sat morning and he says he has a business called Humphrey Harness and he builds harnesses for all kinds of applications and has done 100's of Ecotecs. He has even spent time with the engineers at GM so he knows his way around the Ecotecs.

So I try it and I'll be damned if it didn't work like a champ. Here's the process. Pull the blue connector off the ECM and slide this little pin keeper out.

Slide a wire with the conector on the end into J32 on the blue connector and reinstall the pin keeper.

Run that wire to your tach and wire in a 1.2K ohm pull up resistor to a positive 12V source like this.

I spent weeks figuring this out. Hopefully it only takes you an hour and 50 cents for a resistor Very Happy

I did this on my ecotec swap and it worked great, tach reads perfect. One of the most helpful things I have seen on the samba.
vwboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: cutting firewall Reply with quote

Great build, way above my skills. Just wondering why you had to cut the firewall? Was this due to you having a type 2 trany, or was it due to some other issues that I am unaware of with the Ecotec engine? Thanks for any info.

VWBOAT (JOHN)
joe_mamma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Building my 69 Baja from the ground up Reply with quote

That is a great build. What size Fox shocks did you use?
Adrenaline Junky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Building my 69 Baja from the ground up Reply with quote

VWBOAT - I used 3x3 arms so any further back and there would have been to much angle on the CV joints.

Joe_Mamma - 12in fronts and 14in rears.

Sorry for the late replies...
Adrenaline Junky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Building my 69 Baja from the ground up Reply with quote

OK here is the coolest modification I have done to my Baja for $100.

ELECTRIC STEERING, OMG it's awesome. Can turn the steering wheel with one finger.

Here's the scoop. You can buy the kits from between $600-$1200. Or you can follow these steps.

1) Go to your local Pick & Pull and pull the EPAS unit from one of these vehicles. I paid $35.
• Saturn Vue - from 2002 to 2007
• Chevrolet Equinox - from 2005 to 2007
• Pontiac Torrent
• Saturn Ion - from 2003 to 2006 - only with the metal ECU case (not Black)

2) Go to ebay and buy this controller from Bruno for $67. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Saturn-Vue-or-Equinox-Cont...mp;vxp=mtr

3) Install the unit. I removed the ECU and relocated it because it wouldn't fit where I mounted the EPAS unit. It's the square box above the battery.

4) Install the Bruno controller

5) Install the Potentiometer. This lets you adjust the ease of the electric steering unit.

Now I did have one issue on the install. When I first powered the steering unit, it pulled full lock to the right. Bruno sent me the instructions on how to adjust controller how to get it set perfectly. While I'm on the topic, Bruno is top notch. Helped me trouble shoot and answered all my questions over the weekend!! This guy is top notch for customer service.
1fastbigguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Building my 69 Baja from the ground up Reply with quote

Very cool upgrade! We did the $600 Super ATV kit when we were building our car. I had heard about the system you put in but it sounded a bit like black magic 4 years ago. It looks like you have found a great resource with Bruno and installed a great package at an amazing price! To anyone that hasn't done this yet all I can say is... What are you waiting for!??

We have put 6000 miles on our system with 33x10.50r 15's without a single issue. About 2000 of which have been very hard play and prerun miles.

Thanks for building such a cool car and keeping up with this awesome build thread!!!

59 Ragtop
61 Ragtop Baja
69 Squareback

@Dustydrone
#Ohibaja

Our Build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545394
Adrenaline Junky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Building my 69 Baja from the ground up Reply with quote

Well time to end this chapter.... I have had this car for almost 12 years. Spent 6 years building and 6 years showing, modifying, and driving it. I have met some great people on this site and in the VW world. I thank you all for you knowledge!

I just sold the Baja to a guy in Oregon. He already had it to the dunes where it needed to be. I'm going to post some pics that by buddy Matt Fraser took of my car before I sold it. Maybe there will be some ideas in them for some of you. Just like I searched when building mine.

It's amazing that I started with this;

And ended up with this:

burleymotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Building my 69 Baja from the ground up Reply with quote

Thank you for taking the time to share your build and all the upgrades along the way.
You did a very nice job and ended up with superb baja. I know how much work it is to build a car of that caliber and its an even bigger commitment to maintain a great build thread like this one. NICE JOB !!
Best wishes to you wherever and whatever your moving on to. I was hoping to meet you in person at Bug o rama this year , maybe another time and place.
We are going to be there showing Our Burley Motorsports Radflo baja.
Burley

I will not see your PM.
Please email us directly through our website at http://www.burleymotorsports.net . Thank you.

Web: http://www.burleymotorsports.net
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/burleymotorsports
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/burleymotorsports
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Building my 69 Baja from the ground up Reply with quote

A buitiful job well done Applause Applause ...even though I just discovered your finished project build and find out that you sold out, the finished product turned out looking awesome!!...you done a fabulous job....I sure hope somebody offered you 50k for your hard work, attention to detail and just a overall accomplishment to go from rags to riches of a VW bug to Baja...I would highly recommend your work to anyone. ...your attention to detail is amazing!!!!congrats Applause Applause
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 15

Jump to: