Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Number 3 main oil feed
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OMT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:03 am    Post subject: Number 3 main oil feed Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hello Everyone, hope your Holidays are very merry.
This is an 1956 case that has been line-bored 1.0mm(.040"). The oil feed to the bearing looks very restricted. The number 3 main bearing does not line up with the oil galley feed hole and relies on the saddle groove to supply oil to the main bearing and rods. This is how the engine was made. View the picture of an scrap number 3 bearing in position.
Can I open up some conversation about this and experiences?
Happy Holidays,
Al
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Motorhead
Mad Scientist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what makes .040" over about the most you can go on a 36hp case........The last .040" case I built about seven years ago is still going strong at 40k miles (a customers car). I had the same concerns so I cut a .020 groove on the outside of the bearing that matched the groove in the case to make myself feel better.
Check out the Bonneville project:
http://aircooledresearch.com/docs/thebonnevilleproject.html#

"All limitations are self imposed."
Some Chinese guy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OMT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject: Number 3 main Reply with quote

Hello Mr. Motorhead,
Thank You for the reply.
Great idea to groove the main bearing.
Merry Christmas,
Al
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the full details, but believe Isaac (ritalin boy) who built the turbo 36hp seen here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=598127&start=0 added an extra gallery linking the main oil feed gallery in the LH case half into the gallery running between no 3 and 4 mains.

while we are on the topic, would there be any benefit to adding a groove similar to that on no. 3 main onto no. 1 main (offset towards the pulley to clear the stud) to add an extra oiling hole directly opposite to the existing one?
OMT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:48 am    Post subject: Repco main bearings Reply with quote

Repco number 3 main bearing has an groove cut in the center for oil feed.
Repco is the only maker i know of that grooves number 3 for oil feed.
The number 1 main is already grooved for oil feed.
Merry Christmas all!
OMT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject: 912 main bearings Reply with quote

912 main bearings, number 2 and 3 bearing saddles will need to be grooved for oil feed and retention slots machined. "Huge" oil feed holes, I wonder if this will effect oil pressure in the whole system?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: