Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rear tire size
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dwight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: rear tire size Reply with quote

ok i have a stock 1600 d/p and stock ah 4.12 irs transmission in a long body buggy. i am looking for info about rear tires. i want to fill in the rear fenders, and was looking at 275/60r15 tires. the tires are 28 inches tall. will this combination work ok or should i use 255/60r15 that are 27 inches tall.
LeeVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either will work OK in first through third gear, but you will likely find that fourth gear is way too tall with either diameter tire. A switch to a 4.37 ring and pinion will help, but it wasn't enough with my buggy running 235/75R15 rear tires.

I went the expensive route with lower third and fourth gears in addition to the 4.37 R&P. In hindsight, I wish I had gone with a 4.86 R&P and left the others gears stock. True, the 4.37 is stronger than the 4.86, but I don't thrash on my buggy too much and the 1.00 aftermarket fourth gear whines quite a bit.

Lee
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 275/60/15's with an IRS 4.13 transaxle and a bone stock 1600 single port engine.
It will roll up to 60-65 with little effort but it does struggle to make it to 75-80 mph.
I think the overall bad aero on the car is whats fighting more than the ratios.
The car is much lighter than a Beetle and the low power engine benefits from that so the taller ratio and tires are not noticed as much.
I notice major improvement in high speed performance with mine on warmer drier days than cooler damp days...

Its great around town.. and to 55, which is where it stays the most.

Ratios really going depend on the overall driving plans..
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of your gearing needs are about the motor. With a near stock 1600 DP motor I found that a 27.5 inch rear tire and a 4.375 R&P (stock 40 hp box) worked great. Even with a little power pully the oil temp ran not more than 110 F over ambient. I remember seeing the Stevens pass ahead sign and smashing the throttle in4th. I accelerated up that grade from 60 mph to 80 mph.

If you have a cammed up motor the lack of low end would likely make that gearing to tall.

With a light buggy would bet that a 27 inch tall rear tire would work with a stock cam 1600 or larger motor and the slightly taller 4.125 R&P. I wouldn't recommend the power pully though.
Dwight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently running 235/60r15 in the rear and the buggy is nice and zippy,it also pulls good on the hills. I really like this combination but the tires are way to small.it doesnt look good
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dwight wrote:
I am currently running 235/60r15 in the rear and the buggy is nice and zippy,it also pulls good on the hills. I really like this combination but the tires are way to small.it doesnt look good

Use one of the many online calculators to figure out the difference in RPMs - I think you will find only a couple hundred RPM difference. You will notice a little less snap, but probably not a big difference.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had any trouble with pulling my 275/60-15 tires with a stock 1600 DP.
It would cruise 70 nicely but after 80 it was slow accelerating.

I have a 1679cc turbo now and it is perfect gearing. I can cruise 70 mph at 3100 rpm all day without issue and climb Stevens pass at 60 mph effortlessly.
Boost is only a slight push of the throttle at that rpm so it will double the hp as soon as I put the pedal to the floor.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LeeVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think the overall bad aero on the car is whats fighting more than the ratios.

I agree with this 1000%! There has only been one time I've climbed the grade out of Palm Springs, CA on I-10 West when there wasn't a massive headwind. My buggy actually did OK that time, and I even got to use fourth gear a little bit.

I should probably stop answering questions relating to gear ratios, as my buggy is loaded down with camping gear and other supplies, which makes it heavier than a stock Bug. A lot of that gear is loaded onto the roof rack, which makes the aeros even worse. Either that, or there's something seriously wrong with my buggy since no one else has any trouble climbing mountain passes with stock engines (and mine's a 1776). I know the rear wheels are toed OUT about 1/2" and I have no more adjustment to correct it. Could that be causing this issue?

Lee
Wetstuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dwight.. What are your fronts? (trying to get an idea of that your perspective is of 'what's too small'.) Thanks.

Jim
Manx #2614
Dwight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

front tires are 195/65r15 on 6 inch wide wheels and the rears are 8 inches wide
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just put 275 60 15s on my buggy running a stock 1600 DP. She runs good, with decent power through the gears and happy to cruise at 65. The fill the wheel wells nicely and give that classic fat tire buggy look. Fronts are 205 60 15. I wanted 195s, but BFG isn't making them in this tire anymore.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dwight wrote:

Look for some 305/50/15s..that's what I have on the rear of mine. Look good.
Bennym777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you need spacers or any mods to run 275 size tires? I have 225 and they look tight..
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with these tires in a 235/70-15 rear & 185/60-15 front combo...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=G...;tab=Specs

bnc
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not running any spacers or adapters on my rear drums. The rear wheels are 15 x 8 with 4.5" back spacing. The back spacing dimension is critical for a good fit. Too much and you may have interference issues, and too little will leave a lot of tire hanging out beyond the body. Every buggy us different, but it's easy to measure before you buy.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: