Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Door channel clip hack
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mpls_ham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Door channel clip hack Reply with quote

I have been replacing my passenger door seals this weekend. After three long hours of easing the window vent into its home I thought I was home free.
Fat chance.....the outside scraper holes did not line up with the old ones Sad
After drilling the holes I busted off the little tab on a (the last) channel clip that holds my felt window channel in place. Anyone have a nifty work-around that will prevent me from ordering one stinking clip and having it shipped to my little corner of the world?.

Thanks

1973 Beetle Convertable
JimboCrawdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used that seal adhesive stuff in there. It came from Advance Auto. It's black goo. I didn't want to fool with those clips anymore. It was driving me crazy to get them to hold the felt in and actually go in the holes they were designed for.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thrasher22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced my felt channel with new stuff and found it sat just fine without the clips as they're slightly thicker and rubbery around the top/sides. I probably only have one or two on either side. Worked well all summer...
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^^^ What they said.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thrasher22 wrote:
I replaced my felt channel with new stuff and found it sat just fine without the clips as they're slightly thicker and rubbery around the top/sides. I probably only have one or two on either side. Worked well all summer...

Some of those clips are doing double duty as outer scraper retainers, too. I don't think you want to delete all of them at any one time.

I experienced the same bad news of seeing the new (cheap) outer scraper holes not lining up with the door holes for the clips. The good news was that the new outer scraper was so exquisitely cheap that I could literally make hole impression against the door holes, then just dremel them out and install the clips.
Colin
mpls_ham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys...I left out the lowest clip on the vertical channel thinking that the window will hold the channel felt tight. The window is so stinking tight that in order to close it I have to lift it with my non-cranking hand. I closed her up and will let the rubber get acclimated. Cold weather isn't helping either. Maybe I can get the driver side finished in less than 6 hours Rolling Eyes

1973 Beetle Convertable
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: