Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I need some help!
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
umphorever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great!! thanks for the pic!! very helpful information!!
umphorever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quick question. My local NAPA has a few regulators.
Here's one. http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Voltage-Regulator/_/R-ECHVR502_0354850125

Then here's the bosch. I'm sure most would advise me to just go bosch, but I just want my car to run well!
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetai...0257397501
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bosch is better quality. You can buy that for half the price thru the classifieds on this website. Then put the left over money into buying gas and clutch cables for when those go bad.
umphorever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
The Bosch is better quality. You can buy that for half the price thru the classifieds on this website. Then put the left over money into buying gas and clutch cables for when those go bad.

I had to get one! I couldn't afford to wait...my bug is my daily for the time being...I pick it up at 8am tomorrow.
umphorever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok guys!! new voltage regulator installed and polarized!! I charged my battery, tested at 12.45 when I removed it from the charger. I put it back in the car, revved the engine and the voltage jumped just as it was supposed to!! drove around for about 45 mins. checked the battery and she tested at 12.65 volts!! I am back in business!! Thanks for everyone's help I truly appreciate it!!!
umphorever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to go ahead and continue to use this thread. as some of you know I had replaced my voltage regulator. Well about a week ago my gen light started lighting up again. I drove home from work and stopped at the gas station. When i got back in my lights were dim and she was sputtering again...oh, boy...I'm wondering if the voltage regulator I got was/is defective...so anyways..to today: I went to oreily to see if they could test my generator. (i checked the brushes and the look fine. cleaned up the connection for them as well.) They can't do it...so i go to autozone...no bueno..They told me to go to midas and see if they could test it...at midas the guy hooks up a multimeter with alligator clips...one to D+ and the other grounded to a bolt on the body...it's testing in the mid 20s voltage. then he tells me that you're supposed to hook up to both posts on the generator to get a solid reading...I told him I didn't want him doing that as I have never read that that is something you should do to test it. Then he continued to tell me that he has a 64' and there's a lot of changes in parts in a 64...oh, man...now i'm in deep...He proceeds to tell me that in 64' VW stopped producing cars with 6v power...and that my decklid wasn't a 63' decklid...so in short...I'm now shopping on the samba for a bosch voltage regulator...will I need to polarize it when I find one? Or is it plug and play? What a day!!!
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try pushing against the brushes ? sometimes they just get stuck and if you push against them with a piece of wood or what ever while the engine is running that does the trick. I did that a year or 2 ago to my bug and light never came back on. Not so lucky with my other vehicle though. I ended up just replacing my 12 volt generator and put in a new bosch reg. and its going real good. You have to pull the engine for the change though.If you just bought a new regulator its unlikely it's bad.I wouldn't go back to the Midas guy for advice. VW used the 6 volt up to '66 in USA beetles. You're better off testing it yourself anyway. here's a pretty good link

http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/htm/gen.htm
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
umphorever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks thomas...I pushed on the brushes on my lunch break...no luck..I'm going to run that test tomorrow am...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: