Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New 73 Bug owner
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
celblazer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: New 73 Bug owner Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

Great board. Bought a 73 bug just after Halloween, we saw it trick or treating one block away from my house tucked in a driveway. I've always wanted one since I was a kid. Been lurking/learning here since. Plan is for a weekend fun car.

Been working on all the little issues. So far: Plugged the wiper power connector in Smile, replaced bad window regulator and door handle in pass door, connected speedometer cable back into hub, replaced emergency brake handle, installed rear deck spring and put new seat guides on.

Car seams mechanically sound. Runs well.

I need to adjust the shifter, rear main brake line is shot(next on list), needs drivers side front floor pan replaced and the turn signals need attention.

I don't like the side mounted muffler so that will be replaced. Also no heater boxes but not planning to drive it in the winter so unsure on if i will need it.

Previous owner told me it's a 73 with 66 front sheet metal and rear deck, it does have a removable rear apron. IDK what else is not stock. No clue who makes the rims or what motor is in there. Case is an H5465623.

Any info anyone can offer would be great. I'll be updating my saga as it continues. Smile

Bernie

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
toddb_67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No clue who makes the rims or what motor is in there.

The wheels are Western Wheels and the H case is a single port 1600cc. but who knows what has been done internally so it may have bigger pistons/ cylinders. Nice car!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=714683
1974 Karmann Ghia- current project, 1967cc engine. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=775207
“I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.” - Dudley Field Malone
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: 73 new bug owner Reply with quote

any picts of the quick release rear apron set up
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow is that car modified. I like the wheels. Engine is a single oil releif case. Bet the seats are comfy.
In your info let us know what country,state city. Heck i could be your nabor.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking car.

You might consider a stock air cleaner. Those tin cans are not very good. And you don't have anywhere to vent your oil breather line (that's also missing).

You're also blowing out a lot of cooling air from the lack of fresh-air hoses. If you got regular heat exchangers--even for summer driving--a fully functional heating system will let your engine run a lot cooler.

You might also consider a stock shifter.

Do you have an engine-to-body seal? Get a pancake-bus one if the regular one won't fit your removable set-up.

Bumpers are nice, too--in case someone bumps into you.

All in all, the car looks great.

Tim
celblazer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 new bug owner Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:

I'll grab one tomorrow. It's hood pinned down.

Thanks Tim. I'll update my to do list. Smile

Thanks everyone for the compliments. I'm an old V8 and Turbo 4 guy so learning air cooled slowly.[/url]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PaRacer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it! You have a world of fun ahead of you making it yours. There is a wealth of knowledge here on TheSamba. Welcome!
celblazer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 new bug owner Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:

Here you go:

[/img]
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that hood pin set up!
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In cool weather, the lack of heat riser might cause carb icing. The CA guys never notice this because they don't have any water to ice up but we get it here on the east coast, of course.

Note you do have heat risers on that exhaust, but they are not functional.
celblazer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enjoyther1de wrote:
I like that hood pin set up!

Thanks. It's slick to me 2 pins and it slides off. A lip on each side wedges between the fender and the part it's bolted to.

Abscate wrote:
In cool weather, the lack of heat riser might cause carb icing. The CA guys never notice this because they don't have any water to ice up but we get it here on the east coast, of course.

Note you do have heat risers on that exhaust, but they are not functional.

Thanks, the exhaust I'm looking at has the heat riser hookup on it. I noticed it was missing on this one wasn't sure how much I would notice it as it will mostly be a fair weather car. Smile
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That engine will run heaps better with a stock muffler on it.

That 1.5" fully merged header is doing it no favours with stock heads and a single port intake.
celblazer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replaced the main rear brake line that was spliced in two places and rotted out. got that done, go to bleed the brakes. Rear Bleeder broken off by PO and the master is leaking. UGH

Then found out PO put in 3 fuel filters. LOL One before the electric fuel pump, one in the rear wheel well and one in the engine compartment. Wonder if any other are hidden around? LOL
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome from another old V8 guy. This aircooled stuff has been a fun project and learning curve, enjoy the ride!
houseofboyd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you're off to a good start! Smile Nice beetle!

My '74 SB Build On The Samba: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=609943

Our Web Site: http://www.kentuckyhotwheels.com

1968 VW Beetle
2012 Turbo VW Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chochobeef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

celblazer wrote:
Replaced the main rear brake line that was spliced in two places and rotted out. got that done, go to bleed the brakes. Rear Bleeder broken off by PO and the master is leaking. UGH

Then found out PO put in 3 fuel filters. LOL One before the electric fuel pump, one in the rear wheel well and one in the engine compartment. Wonder if any other are hidden around? LOL

Ouch on the brake lines and MC. As for the filters, one before the pump should do unless you notice the second one under the wheel is nasty then keep it. The one in the engine bay can be tossed or rather saved as a spare. Looks like a fun car to tinker with and enjoy.
celblazer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this week got the master replaced along with the busted wheel cylinder. And both soft lines are clogged solid. Ordered new soft lines so next thing to get done.

Oh and I found a 4th fuel filter screwed on the electric fuel pump. LOL My gas should be so clean I can drink it. LOL Once brakes are done I'll get a bunch of new fuel hose, and replace the filter on the pump and put a new one out before the carb but not in the engine bay. Smile
baxsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With that many fuel filters, maybe he had trouble with moisture rusting inside the tank.

You can take the gas tank to a radiator shop, they will chemically clean all the rust out and re-seal the inside with some kind of plastic stuff that will prevent future rust.

There are also DIY kits of the inside the gas tank coating, but I do not know how you would ever get the inside of the tank clean enough to make those work.
celblazer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i thought of that and i looked in the tank and it looks good, pulled it to do the master.in

I think it was more of nobody knew What was there. The one under the tank is hidden, the one on the fuel pump blends in and is hidden, the one in the wheel well looks the oldest and was also hard to spot. My guess is it started with the fuel pump filter. Next person didn't see it so added one at the wheel well.next missed that and added another Under the tank nextt one didn't see any obvious ones and put one in the engine bay. One under the tank looks pretty good. None of them are terrible.

But who knows and thanks for the advise. I missed the one on the pump and looked at it tons while checking things out. It's screwed in and just looks like part if the pump. It just rang a bell that I had seen something like that before.
celblazer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's All the filters. Lol

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: