Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Solex 30PICT-1 Throttle Butterfly
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Solex 30PICT-1 Throttle Butterfly Reply with quote

Hey Gang, I am rebuilding a 30PICT-1 from my 1966 sunroof Beetle with the generic kit. The float was sticking and gas was weeping out the sides of the float chamber. The car stunk like gas, and it started like shit in the cold. The car idled quite well before the rebuild so I do not think there is any leakage around the shaft bushing (In fact, it does not look like this has ever been bushed before)

I tried to undo the main throttle butterfly screws but it was far too difficult, and I have decided to soak the carb in cleaner without disassembling the butterfly. I noticed that the main throttle shaft has some resistance when I move it with my hand. I am unsure whether or not I have warped the throttle shaft in my zeal.

Is it normal for there to be some resistance to the movement of the throttle shaft? I can move it, but it is sticky. I want to ensure that I have not done any damage, which may actually require the removal of the throttle shaft...

Thank you for your advice on this. I do not want to damage a perfectly good solex carb that otherwise works, nor do I want to remove the throttle shaft if it is not necessary.
itskyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Solex 30PICT-1 Throttle Butterfly Reply with quote

Johnous wrote:
Hey Gang, I am rebuilding a 30PICT-1 from my 1966 sunroof Beetle with the generic kit. The float was sticking and gas was weeping out the sides of the float chamber. The car stunk like gas, and it started like shit in the cold. The car idled quite well before the rebuild so I do not think there is any leakage around the shaft bushing (In fact, it does not look like this has ever been bushed before)

I tried to undo the main throttle butterfly screws but it was far too difficult, and I have decided to soak the carb in cleaner without disassembling the butterfly. I noticed that the main throttle shaft has some resistance when I move it with my hand. I am unsure whether or not I have warped the throttle shaft in my zeal.

Is it normal for there to be some resistance to the movement of the throttle shaft? I can move it, but it is sticky. I want to ensure that I have not done any damage, which may actually require the removal of the throttle shaft...

Thank you for your advice on this. I do not want to damage a perfectly good solex carb that otherwise works, nor do I want to remove the throttle shaft if it is not necessary.

Point of order here, is the movement still sticky after soaking in carb cleaner?

Kyle
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (I miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much resistance? How much force did you put on them?
From that you must know rebuilding carbs is an Art, becoming a lost one at that, and not a science. Kind of like Zen Wink

Anyway, I'll say sometimes they can get sticky after a cleaning because it takes all the lubrication off the shaft and bushings. Squirt some oil in there and see if it helps.

Another thing, try lightly rapping right on the end of throttle shaft, either side first your choice, with a plastic or wood screwdriver handle. If you have pushed the shaft to one side or the other by tweaking on the screws, this may help to center the blade and find it's "sweet spot" again.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
blue77bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you buggered up the shaft a bit and after all your efforts its still sticky ,get a dremel with a metal grinding drum and grind the tops off the screws where they have been peened over ,that will enable you to easily remove the screws ,once apart you can easily repair what is needed and simply get new screws ,i am fairly sure they are 4mmin a 30pic
Johnous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice y'all. I was able to get a tad more freeplay out of the butterfly after cleaning and lubrication with some penetrating oil. Furthermore, it was not properly centered as 61SNRF recommended. It is still not totally smooth but seems minor what with the return spring.

After cleaning and reassembly I got it back on the motor and had to mess with the float needle spacing to get the gas flow just right (after the first test drive, gas would drip out of the throttle shaft ends). I tried the ultimate test of blocking the intake orifice while the engine was running. It died straight away, so I will hope that means that there is no major vacuum leak and that the throttle shaft bushings are okay... Question

All in all, it was really quite fun to rebuild the 30 PICT-1. The previous owner had the motor rebuilt with 1600 components but kept everything else the same. I may look at upgrading to a bigger jet in the near future.

Thanks again for your recommendations
dcheek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnous wrote:
Thanks for the advice y'all. I was able to get a tad more freeplay out of the butterfly after cleaning and lubrication with some penetrating oil. Furthermore, it was not properly centered as 61SNRF recommended. It is still not totally smooth but seems minor what with the return spring.

After cleaning and reassembly I got it back on the motor and had to mess with the float needle spacing to get the gas flow just right (after the first test drive, gas would drip out of the throttle shaft ends). I tried the ultimate test of blocking the intake orifice while the engine was running. It died straight away, so I will hope that means that there is no major vacuum leak and that the throttle shaft bushings are okay... Question

All in all, it was really quite fun to rebuild the 30 PICT-1. The previous owner had the motor rebuilt with 1600 components but kept everything else the same. I may look at upgrading to a bigger jet in the near future.

Thanks again for your recommendations

I had the same problem with fuel leaking out from the throttle shaft. Turned out to be the engine running too hot and would boil the gas out of the float chamber when I shut the car off. Once I started the engine again it would suck the gas back in. Did the same thing when I had the throttle shaft rebushed. Excess heat was the problem. FYI it was a rebuilt engine. All my original engines never had this problem.

Dave
1966 Westy
1976 914 2.0
1989 911 Carrera
1981 Diesel Rabbit Pick Up
1982 Diesel Vanagon
2014 Golf (last year German mfr for NA)
2019 Jetta Gli, 35th Anniversary Edition, 6 speed
NewVWFan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a rebuild that had a sticky throttle and choke shaft. Was gritty and stiff. Well after a good tear down, I found blasting media packed in the two check balls and the fuel metering tube. No way this carb would have worked.

I used carb cleaner and compressed air to clean grit out of shafts. Works good now.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: