Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'67's had rear drain tubes on the sunroof. Right?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
moab762
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: '67's had rear drain tubes on the sunroof. Right? Reply with quote

Guy tried to tell me today that '67's didn't have rear drain tubes on the sunroof. I know he's mistaken. But just playing devils advocate here. He did a good job of tightening up and adjusting my existing sunroof and cables. But it sounds like I need new cables too. It won't quite pop up into one corner. It's about a quarter inch short. But if you push on that inside corner it will go up into place. Guess I gotta drop another $150 for new cables plus labor on this beast. Damn.

Should I be able to feel the drain tubes thru the headliner? I know if I pop off the rear panel I should see the tube. Right? Like in the picture below? I'm replacing the headliner. So I may just cut some slits in to inspect the rear drain tubes. One of the front ones was clogged. So I'm sure the back ones probably need maintenance.

It also makes a clicking noise when you open and close it. I had a new gear. But he said it didn't need it. But he also couldn't tell me what the click was from.

Anyone know of any serious pros with these things in the LA area? I know Blodgetts works on them. But they are two hours east of me. I really don't want to drive all the way out there just for that. And ISPWest will probably want a grand just to look at it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=555329

Retired US Army - 21 years 11B40, 173rd Airborne Brig. - Vietnam Combat Veteran
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All steel sunroof Beetles have 4 drains..

The rear...

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

I figured since The Samba crowd usually needs real life pictures, these will be good references.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
moab762
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case I don't get my answer in that other thread I just brought back from the dead:

What is the best material to replace drain tubes with? And where do you get it?

Also doesn't the drain tube (assuming your headliner is off and you can get to them) go over the metal tube coming out of the sunroof? Would a clamp be in order here?

I'm redoing the interior. So I think I'm just going to take the headliner off and replace all the tubes with new material.

Before I replaced the seals. I had water dripping down the headliner above the B pillar area and further back. Which leads me to believe that either the drain tube has come loose on the rear passenger side or worse there's a hole rotted in the sunroof carriage. Am I thinking correctly here?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moab762 wrote:
In case I don't get my answer in that other thread I just brought back from the dead:

Also doesn't the drain tube (assuming your headliner is off and you can get to them) go over the metal tube coming out of the sunroof? Would a clamp be in order here?

I'm redoing the interior. So I think I'm just going to take the headliner off and replace all the tubes with new material.

Before I replaced the seals. I had water dripping down the headliner above the B pillar area and further back. Which leads me to believe that either the drain tube has come loose on the rear passenger side or worse there's a hole rotted in the sunroof carriage. Am I thinking correctly here?

I used clear vinyl hose from the Tractor Supply Company when I did the hoses on my 65 Sunroof Notch. The hose I used was pretty close to the same size ID that VW used, so I didn't need a clamp for it. However, my sunroof tray did have some rust in it, and I had to rebuild it before I installed the headliner. So, IF you have a leak, I'd pull the headliner out, and inspect the tray for rust before going any further.

Keep in mind that the seals you installed are dust and wind seals, not water seals. This means they are NOT for keeping water out, only dust and wind. The very rear rubber seal (attaches to the hatch) only directs water to the sides, not sealing anything. The drain hoses are for water removal.
I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
moab762
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
moab762 wrote:

I used clear vinyl hose from the Tractor Supply Company when I did the hoses on my 65 Sunroof Notch. The hose I used was pretty close to the same size ID that VW used, so I didn't need a clamp for it. However, my sunroof tray did have some rust in it, and I had to rebuild it before I installed the headliner. So, IF you have a leak, I'd pull the headliner out, and inspect the tray for rust before going any further.

Keep in mind that the seals you installed are dust and wind seals, not water seals. This means they are NOT for keeping water out, only dust and wind. The very rear rubber seal (attaches to the hatch) only directs water to the sides, not sealing anything. The drain hoses are for water removal.
I hope this helps.

Makes alot more sense to me now. The headliner is definitely coming off sooner than later. Thanks. Sincerely appreciate it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: