Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

6 volt to 12 volt carb clearance problems
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ol puddin head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: 6 volt to 12 volt carb clearance problems Reply with quote

ok, after reading all the threads i thought i needed to, i tackled the 12 volt conversion on my stock motored 65. i had an extra generator and stand, voltage regulator and coil off of a 70 1600 single port motor that i had used on another car. everything went as planned till i went to put the 28 pict back on the manifold, but it hits the generator with the accelarator pump housing so the carb cannot sit flush on the manifold. is there something easy i'm missing, or does anyone have any ideas?
Ace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carb spacer. Empi pn# 3245
ol puddin head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll have to get the spacer then. why doesn't anyone else using a generator seem to be having this problem?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or bend intake slightly to left.
bugdozer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the exact same problem. I bought a 1 inch spacer and it made the accelerator pump clear the generator. Then, unfortunately, the throttle cable wasn't long enough to reach the throttle. I had to make a little extension out of copper tubing. I think the best way to deal with the problem would be to bend the intake a little bit and to grind down the generator casing a little bit with a dremel tool. It is pretty thick, and it probably wouldn't create any problems.

I was curious why I had never heard of this problem in the conversion as well.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grind a small area flat on the Generator....done..
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Luis1964
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the carb spacer and carb linkage for Empi. That should solve the problem.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that EMPI spacer to be way too tall for my tastes, for a generator it only needs to be lifted a short ways. (and in my case, with a convertible decklid with a rain tray on it, that would be too tall for the stock air cleaner's air intake arm to clear) Bending the manifold... I'd rather not do that either. I just use a stack of gaskets and longer studs in the carb - but I found some carb gaskets that were reinforced several years ago, that don't squish too much.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I heard about how some people like to make an isolation spacer out of wood, this is more a non-VW thing, to prevent too much heat-soak from the manifold. I made one a couple of years ago, but found it was still slightly too thick for decklid, and never got around to sanding it thinner.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stevie_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:12 am    Post subject: Carburetor Spacer Reply with quote

Hello. I´ve installed a 1" spacer to make the accelerator pump (28 PICT) clear the 12V-Generator in my ´62 beetle. I´m seeing potential trouble with my accelerator cable, since it bends upward where it leaves the tube. I´m considering having the spacer machined down to 1/2", which should make the cable slide easier in the tube.
Did anybody have problems with the cable using a high spacer?
Thank you,
Stevie
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one of the reasons I don't like those huge-ass spacers. They can also make it so the air cleaner has clearance issues with the lid. I'd either modify it like you said or find something else to use.

-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crowther
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevie, I had my spacer (I like to call it a riser) machined down to approx 1/2 b/c it raised aircleaner a bit high and caused other clearance probs. Works fine with everything else around it and we feel it even gives a little highrise manifold effect Smile (like to believe anyway)
82 911SC daily driver
12 MiniCooper ALL4
04 F150 for big jobs
2 car garage for all of this
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6Volt manifold are becoming very rare, please don't ruin them.

It's better to buy a 12V manifold and keep the original 6V one, making a favour to the 6v-world
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

herbie1200 wrote:

It's better to buy a 12V manifold and keep the original 6V one, making a favour to the 6v-world

In all my years of tinkering with these... .. I never realized intake manifolds, transaxle cases , and flywheels were voltage specific.. ... Laughing
(thats sarcasm)

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

In all my years of tinkering with these... .. I never realized intake manifolds, transaxle cases , and flywheels were voltage specific.. ... Laughing
(thats sarcasm)

The 6 volt electrons are much more picky about which shape metal they run through ; Razz

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
tb03830
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Grind a small area flat on the Generator....done..

Did this also on my 1200 SP. I later put a H30/31 Carb on it and the grinding also worked for that . Have to be careful not to penitrate the housing though.

1964 Convertible Bug - 1600cc SP engine with a stock H30/31 Carb and SVDA Distributor - Swing Arm Highway Flyer Tranny, Gene Berg's Temperature Dipstick, 2.5" drop spindles, 2" narrowed adjustable front end. Chromed OEM fan tower.
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
herbie1200 wrote:

(thats sarcasm)

...it's never too late for learning something new Wink
stevie_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject: Carb spacer Reply with quote

Thanks to everybody for the answers. I´m definitely going to have it machined down. Thanks especially to crowther for the 1/2-inch-information, that confirmed my suspicion that a rise of 12mm should suffice.
Info came just in time since I hope to start my bug next monday after 12 years work. I can hardly wait ´til monday!
Stevie
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
I find that EMPI spacer to be way too tall for my tastes, for a generator it only needs to be lifted a short ways. (and in my case, with a convertible decklid with a rain tray on it, that would be too tall for the stock air cleaner's air intake arm to clear) Bending the manifold... I'd rather not do that either. I just use a stack of gaskets and longer studs in the carb - but I found some carb gaskets that were reinforced several years ago, that don't squish too much.

I heard about how some people like to make an isolation spacer out of wood, this is more a non-VW thing, to prevent too much heat-soak from the manifold. I made one a couple of years ago, but found it was still slightly too thick for decklid, and never got around to sanding it thinner.

I think carb and manifold should not be thermally isolated.

The air/fuel mixture shall never pass trough a cold/hod or hot/cold section because those are points in which air and fuel are prone to separate themselves.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: