Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

electrical question 71 standard
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
moparvwfreak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject: electrical question 71 standard Reply with quote

hey guys and gals. i just recently purchased a 71 standard bug and i LOVE it. this is my first air cooled but not my first VW. i have had about 15 or so with a total of 6 right now. but i am having an issue,. yesterday i was heading into work and about 2 miles from work i pop the #1 fuse. ok i figure it something i added in, namely my electric washer setup. no biggy i pull the power lead for that and swap it over to my radio fuse. make it home that night and to work today no problem. on my way home tonight, popped it again. ok weird, but what ever. swap fuses and as soon as i hit the key, POP! now yesterday it was sprinkling adn tonight it was pouring if that helps. i will be doing some diag this weekend but as this is my daily until i get my Jetta back from mom, i gotta get this fixed.

now i know for a fact the horns do not work but the fuel gauge does as do the turns. hazard switch is new so i doubt that would be the cause, but not out of the range of possibilities.

now for the question, where is the horn and how is it wired in? also i have read that clusters die on these. is that true? if so could something in the fuel gauge be the cause??
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Number 1 fuse, is obviously on the end, it is far away from the two red fuses on 9 and 10. I bring that up because it is easy to start counting from the wrong side.

Number 1 is hooked up to left taillight left parking light and license plate light.

Number 12, number 1 for dyslexics, instrument panel light, fuel gauge, turn signals.

The horn is wired to 11.

It may be a good thing that it pops so quickly. There are three things wired to that fuse and only the turn signal is legally required. Disconnect the other two and see if it still blows the fuse. Drive a few days with just the turn signal hooked up. Add a wire at a time a few days apart and the guilty wire should make itself known.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: electrical question 71 standard Reply with quote

moparvwfreak wrote:
hey guys and gals. i just recently purchased a 71 standard bug and i LOVE it. this is my first air cooled but not my first VW. i have had about 15 or so with a total of 6 right now. but i am having an issue,. yesterday i was heading into work and about 2 miles from work i pop the #1 fuse. ok i figure it something i added in, namely my electric washer setup. no biggy i pull the power lead for that and swap it over to my radio fuse. make it home that night and to work today no problem. on my way home tonight, popped it again. ok weird, but what ever. swap fuses and as soon as i hit the key, POP! now yesterday it was sprinkling adn tonight it was pouring if that helps. i will be doing some diag this weekend but as this is my daily until i get my Jetta back from mom, i gotta get this fixed.

now i know for a fact the horns do not work but the fuel gauge does as do the turns. hazard switch is new so i doubt that would be the cause, but not out of the range of possibilities.

now for the question, where is the horn and how is it wired in? also i have read that clusters die on these. is that true? if so could something in the fuel gauge be the cause??

First question... does your fuse box have 10 or 12 fuses?
With a 12-fuse box, fuse #1 is one of the two parking light circuits.
With a 10-fuse box, fuse #1 is ignition switch powered and power the horn, turn signals and fuel gauge+indicator lamps.

Since you described horn, turn signals and fuel gauge I will assume this is what stopped working when the fuse blew. So you have a 10-fuse box?

The horn is located in the left front fender below the headlamp. It is mounted to a bracket there.
A key point about the horn... it has constant 12v+ from the fuse box and the ground circuit is switched by the horn button.
If your horn is not working is it because the horn is disconnected to the positive lead (black/yellow wire) is exposed and maybe the rain is shorting it to ground? Something to check.

The turn signal power wire (black) runs from the fuse box to the E-Flasher switch. If you have a problem with the E-Flasher switch it could be grounding the #1 fuse and causing it to blow.

One last possible thing to look into...
Fuse #1 & #2 share a common input from the ignition switch. The single black wire from the ignition switch brings power into BOTH fuses via brass bridge that connects the input side of both fuses.
If the power wire from the ignition switch is connected to the wrong side of fuse #1 then the current must pass through fuse #1 before providing power to fuse #1 devices before going to fuse #2 where it powers all of its devices. This more than doubles the possible load on fuse #1 and it will blow. In this config, the fuel gauge and the ignition coil are the only devices that are constantly powered by the ignition switch. This means it may take a combination of turning left in the rain to make the fuse blow.

BTW, fuse #1 and #2 should each be a white 8A fuse.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
moparvwfreak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies. This bug is LOW, and I have already had to fix some wiring for the lighting so I since the horn is where it is, I would not be suprised if the wiring was shot and shorting out causing the fuse to pop. I'll check into that if the weather is nice.
moparvwfreak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found out what happened. The hazard switch rotated and was grounding out on the "heater" controls. Rotated the switch and tightened it back up, no more blown fuses. Thanks guys for the info!!!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: