Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is there a best year to restore?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
If the idea is to buy one that you plan to sell, then get one that's either finished or close to finished. That way you know up front what you have into it.

As to which year is the best, oval window VW sales tripled in the U.S. between 1954 and 1957, and prices reflect this, both in parts availability and value of restored cars.
I saw this elsewhere in this forum. I don't know if these figures are correct but if they are the increase was tenfold.

From JT Garwood's "Car of the Century"
1954 200000 produced 6343 registered in the US
1955 280000 produced 28907 registered in the US
1956 333000 produced 50457 registered in the US
1957 380000 produced 64807 registered in the US
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ineteresting numbers. I found one semi local to me on ebay. But you know how that goes. But it looks pretty good and appears to be a good driver already with new paint that had been stripped to bare metal. Problem is it is red with white fenders. Not to offend anyone that may own that, but it doesnt work for me. Looks like a nice new red interior. Give pretty much zero description though. I would assume if it was taken to bare metal for paint the pans and channels would be good as well. But you never know. Its a 57, so I need to do some thourough research to be sure the decklid and hood are correct etc before moving forward.

How much does having the original engine or not affect the pricing? I deal mostly with muscle cars and that makes a huge difference. I would think its less important on a bug?
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the link to the auction if anyone would care to have a look and see if there is anything obvious for the 3 pictures that are there.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volkswagen-Beetle-Classic-...t_22wt_900
69vwcarl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems the Oval world is following in the footsteps of split bus. Kinda scary. Unless you're rich..... Embarassed I would also like to know how an all numbers matching oval would stack up for resale against a none matching car... on the classified ads it appears that not many ovals have matching major components...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: