Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Beetle 1958 - 1964 rear crossmembers what to do?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thekera
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:27 am    Post subject: Beetle 1958 - 1964 rear crossmembers what to do? Reply with quote

Hi
I'm doing body work on my 1962 euro ragtop. I have been slowly but surely acquiring either OG metal replacement panels or buying quality replacement panels such as, Klassic fab, hookys, and restoration panels from Finland. I'm trying to steer clear of Brazilian panels or the cheaper mostly Ill fitting black panels that are the norm it seems from most popular resellers.

I'm stumped when it comes to the rear crossmembers. The only common rear crossmembers are 65-79. But these have a squared edge and an oval heat duct hole. On the other hand some quailty panels are made in Europe for 1957 and earlier with a 2 bolt mount.

Now onto the question, what have you done to replace your 1958-1964 rear cross members? I know that either one would probably work ok, but I have what you might call OCD. I want this build to look correct. Also isthe idea of donor crossmembers but no one is gonna let me drill this section out of there parts car, as it seems the whole body ties into here.

Pictures and ideas would be great. I know many people have faced this road block. [/i]
thekera
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My crossmember rot

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

thekera
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1965-1979 rear crossmembers. Notice square leading edge and oval heat duct hole. 1964 and earlier has round hole and curved leading edge.

Here is a cool diagram I found here on the samba of how it all goes together.

57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle 1958 - 1964 rear crossmembers what to do? Reply with quote

thekera wrote:
. . . the idea of donor crossmembers but no one is gonna let me drill this section out of there parts car, as it seems the whole body ties into here.

Your just gonna have to find somebody that will let you cut them out of another car . . . until those are repoped . . . or you have them custom fabricated.
green1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not aware of a new crossmember for those years. Kaeferland in Germany sells what looks like the Swedish Wolf Parts crossmembers, but KL advertises them as fitting through 1967, whereas Wolf advertises them for 1955 and earlier. I would write to Wolf or Kaeferland and see whether those crossmembers have any significant differences from the ones on your car. Maybe you can do a minor modification. They are expensive, but my own OCD has cost me too much money to judge anyone else.

http://www.kaeferland-shop.de/index.php?action=sho...1.39998533

http://www.wolfparts.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=88
thekera
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, an update. I ended up having correct crossmember sections fabricated by REstoration Panels. They look awesome. I'll try an post pictures when I get to this section of my restoration.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: