Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Question about some parts I'm thinking of ordering.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SixStringMadMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Question about some parts I'm thinking of ordering. Reply with quote

I have a '78 Kombi and was making pretty good progress for a while, then life snuck up on me earlier this year and put things on hold. I will be able to spend a bit of time on my bus soon and was thinking about ordering some things from BusDepot for a Christmas gift for myself. With some of the threads I've seen in the past about the quality of repro parts, I was wondering if anyone could look over this list and let me know if these parts would be ok for my bus or if I would be better off avoiding them.

Thanks in advance!

both my fresh air hoses are shot and in many pieces
Oval Engine tin seal 021119337
Heater blower hose left 211261235A
Heater blower hose right 211261236

rear side marker housings and lenses are shot
Rear side marker housing X2 211945351A
Rear side marker lens X2 211945363B

missing this boot
Gear shift boot 111711115A

missing these grommets also
Sliding door grommet J10969
Sliding door buffer 211843471 (not sure if I need this or not)
Sliding door lock grommet 281843718A

tail gate lock gasket J11264

pedal pads are severely worn
Pedal pad X2 211721173

accelerator pedal could use some love
Accelerator pedal repair kit J13009 (mine is old and held together with a nail...)

only have one key and it's bent pretty good...
VW Key blank 19.99

missing this part
Alternator cover plate insert 02111929501C
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah -- all those nice little bits and bobs that are MIA and needed. Good list.

One thing on the key blank... if it's steel, there are some places that will not cut it. I ran into that with my local lock shop. They cut keys to code just fine, but they will not use steel blanks.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bret2094
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
Yeah -- all those nice little bits and bobs that are MIA and needed. Good list.

One thing on the key blank... if it's steel, there are some places that will not cut it. I ran into that with my local lock shop. They cut keys to code just fine, but they will not use steel blanks.

If you haven't already ordered the key, id just send the door codes to gabriel at gabvwkey.com . I just got a key cut to code for my 77 westy including shipping for right at 20 bucks. Might be cheaper than ordering the blank and then having someone do the work

Bret
1962 Karmann Ghia
1967 beetle( august 66, first car)
1967 beetle (parts car)

1977 Westfalia Camper

1972 Plymouth Duster

Just another 22 year old jackass who caught the bug, and lives by the motto " NO fatchicks allowed" , I've got too many cars as is (buses N/A)
SixStringMadMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks fellas, I'll remove the key from my list for now.
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed the oval tin seal (and the circular one on the other side too) both were good parts

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject: Keys Reply with quote

Locating your Key Code...various years and models

Vendors:
SteelersBus VW Locks/Keys
Gabriel VW keys & Locks

Rekeying a lock - Tutorial

Good Luck
Tcash

Last edited by Tcash on Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not ordered all of the parts on your list, but have bought about half of what you listed. Everything on there that I did buy was a good fit, (exceptions noted below) and decent quality. Bus Depot has pretty good customer service. They also try to use VW part numbers, so that helps with referencing.

I think the parts with the J prefix are usually from Just Kampers, a British company. I placed my first direct order with JK this week. Seems to be going smoothly thus far.

The quality problems I have experienced: The rear side markers have fit-up problems. The gasket is usually a poor fit, like it is too thick. The plastic lug fastener is also a poor design. Other than that, the lens and color is good, but I think the trim is wrong? Silver instead of black, or vice versa. There is a thread about these and how to make them work... better search that!

I bought engine deck lid hinge seals from BD, and they were a JK product. Poor formed fit, and they shrunk weirdly after a month so they don't look right. Modern rubber problems? Crying or Very sad

Also bought engine deck lid door seal, highest quality. Fit and feel was great, but less than two years later the rubber is starting to crack. Mad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SixStringMadMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aerosurfer wrote:
I just installed the oval tin seal (and the circular one on the other side too) both were good parts

do you happen to have the part# for the circular one? can't seem to find it on their site.
SixStringMadMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Keys Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:

67-70 Bus L blank Cut to Your Key Code
71-79 Bus R blank Cut to Your Key Code

Thanks for this! I'm going to try and tackle this on my vacation break.
SixStringMadMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
I have not ordered all of the parts on your list, but have bought about half of what you listed. Everything on there that I did buy was a good fit, (exceptions noted below) and decent quality. Bus Depot has pretty good customer service. They also try to use VW part numbers, so that helps with referencing.

I think the parts with the J prefix are usually from Just Kampers, a British company. I placed my first direct order with JK this week. Seems to be going smoothly thus far.

The quality problems I have experienced: The rear side markers have fit-up problems. The gasket is usually a poor fit, like it is too thick. The plastic lug fastener is also a poor design. Other than that, the lens and color is good, but I think the trim is wrong? Silver instead of black, or vice versa. There is a thread about these and how to make them work... better search that!

I bought engine deck lid hinge seals from BD, and they were a JK product. Poor formed fit, and they shrunk weirdly after a month so they don't look right. Modern rubber problems? Crying or Very sad

Also bought engine deck lid door seal, highest quality. Fit and feel was great, but less than two years later the rubber is starting to crack. Mad

Thanks for the heads up on the side marker issues. I'll try and locate that thread and give it a read.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Side marker thread:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=529338

Round tin seal for fresh air, left side:

http://www.busdepot.com/021119627b
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:

The quality problems I have experienced. The rear side markers have fit-up problems. The gasket is usually a poor fit, like it is too thick. The plastic lug fastener is also a poor design.
I cut the plastic lugs off, drilled holes and put a machine screws, nuts and washers. After initially tightening them up, I cinched them up, on a couple of hot days. It pulled the gasket down to where it was acceptable.

Other than that, the lens and color is good, but I think the trim is wrong? Silver instead of black, or vice versa.
Chassis# 2162 090 464, early 1976 they changed to black rims. Previously they where silver (chrome).
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Other than that, the lens and color is good, but I think the trim is wrong? Silver instead of black, or vice versa.
Chassis# 2162 090 464, early 1976 they changed to black rims. Previously they where silver (chrome).

Did not know that! Wink
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about some parts I'm thinking of ordering. Reply with quote

SixStringMadMan wrote:

Accelerator pedal repair kit J13009 (mine is old and held together with a nail...)

I bought this for my bus. It works fine. I should've bought a new pedal as mine was beat up but I managed to work the pin into it and it works fine now.
Keep in mind its originally welded to the floor. I don't have a welder yet so I cut the old one off and bolted the new one down.
PITApan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Question about some parts I'm thinking of ordering. Reply with quote

SixStringMadMan wrote:
I have a '78 Kombi and was making pretty good progress for a while, then life snuck up on me earlier this year and put things on hold. I will be able to spend a bit of time on my bus soon and was thinking about ordering some things from BusDepot for a Christmas gift for myself. With some of the threads I've seen in the past about the quality of repro parts, I was wondering if anyone could look over this list and let me know if these parts would be ok for my bus or if I would be better off avoiding them.

Thanks in advance!

both my fresh air hoses are shot and in many pieces
Oval Engine tin seal 021119337
Heater blower hose left 211261235A
Heater blower hose right 211261236

rear side marker housings and lenses are shot
Rear side marker housing X2 211945351A
Rear side marker lens X2 211945363B

missing this boot
Gear shift boot 111711115A

missing these grommets also
Sliding door grommet J10969
Sliding door buffer 211843471 (not sure if I need this or not)
Sliding door lock grommet 281843718A

tail gate lock gasket J11264

pedal pads are severely worn
Pedal pad X2 211721173

only have one key and it's bent pretty good...
VW Key blank 19.99

missing this part
Alternator cover plate insert 02111929501C

I'm new to bus depot but so far I'm unimpressed/disappointed.

The washer kit I got was Chinese junk. (ENPI) Not worth returning so I'll use it until it breaks and then get one from a flaps. get to see what I am buying before I pay for it.

I got the alternator adjustment bolt plate that is on you list. It seems fine. But after looking at it, I shoulda made one.

I got a thermostat and it's completely the wrong item, even though they claim on their site it's the right one. Others know of what they are selling and advised me, but too late. Still unsure how to handle this one.

Got an engine compartment repair section that turned out to be anything but what they describes. Even the description printed on it didn't match. Customer service was fine and I'm returning it but it's costing me $14 to learn not to trust their descriptions. I pulled some items out of my next order because I realize tey will be either the poorest quality (the h4 headlights) or likely not to fit (the windshield wipers.). A lesson learned; you get what you pay for and these guys will dish that one up in spades. Where they offer several "quality" levels at different prices I feel more comfortable. That's honest. But it seems other places you just need to look at the price and get the idea. Real Cibie headlights are $80 each. Their generic repros are $35 a pair. Even ratwell warns against those, but they'll cheerfully sell you some.

Then there were the backorders and drop ships. The order arrived within the 10 days expected for ground service----but the "drop shipped" items came in a week later. There seems to be a lot they don't stock and they don't order it until you do.

One item, some grommet, is backordered 1-2 months. Site still says ships in 1-3 days. I'd call and check availability on every item you order and triple check if it is the proper part for what you want to do.
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: Keys Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:

67-70 Bus L blank Cut to Your Key Code
71-79 Bus R blank Cut to Your Key Code

You might try checking your local locksmith also. I just had four keys made with the exact same Ilco blanks shown in the ad and I think I paid $3.75 each.

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
SixStringMadMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Keys Reply with quote

oscarsnapkin wrote:
You might try checking your local locksmith also. I just had four keys made with the exact same Ilco blanks shown in the ad and I think I paid $3.75 each.

Thanks for this suggestion. I found a local highly rated locksmith and I'm going to give them a shot at making some ignition key copies for me. Once that's done I am going to attempt to make the other locks match the ignition in hopes of only having one key.

Placed my parts order this morning and hopefully it will be on its way soon. Didn't get everything on my list but got most of it. Looking forward to checking out of work for a week or so and getting my hands dirty!
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Keys Reply with quote

SixStringMadMan wrote:
oscarsnapkin wrote:

Thanks for this suggestion. I found a local highly rated locksmith and I'm going to give them a shot at making some ignition key copies for me. Once that's done I am going to attempt to make the other locks match the ignition in hopes of only having one key.

Placed my parts order this morning and hopefully it will be on its way soon. Didn't get everything on my list but got most of it. Looking forward to checking out of work for a week or so and getting my hands dirty!

My local locksmith is happy to cut one to code (though he makes me show my driver's license and registration first -- he goes by the book!), and then use that original to make copies. The code-cut key is about $20, and the copies are about $3. Then i keep the original in the file with the paperwork, and never use it except for copying.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kkjellquist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Question about some parts I'm thinking of ordering. Reply with quote

PITApan wrote:
I'd call and check availability on every item you order and triple check if it is the proper part for what you want to do.

Came in to say this. Haven't had any problems w/ quality, etc but I wish their site was more accurate in regards to stock and ship times.

Turtel - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=561195

Pisgah Bus Rally - New Year's Day
http://pisgahbusrally.blogspot.com/
Esher127
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Question about some parts I'm thinking of ordering. Reply with quote

Last edited by Esher127 on Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: