Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

separating 3rd and 4th gear and drive hub
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: separating 3rd and 4th gear and drive hub Reply with quote

Can any of you point me to a picture showing how you set up the gear/ hub assembly on the press to separate them? I'm pretty far into my first transmission rebuild, and this has got me stumped. The gear and hub diameters are so close that there isn't a step to use, and the space between them so little that I don't see how a bearing splitter can work without causing damage. I've purchased loctite green sleeve retainer for the reassembly, any help getting it apart will be a huge help!
SD
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dremel and a carbide burr... Or milling machine if you have one. Split it and it will come out.

I would tig weld it back together again if you can.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yes that would work, except that I'm intending to re use the parts. Inspection shows that they're slightly worn on the drive side, and perfect on the other. Switching the hubs between 3rd and 4th gear will use the unworn good side of both hubs. But, how to get it apart?
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First question is why are you removing the hub from the gear? If you are just removing to see how it done and then reinstalling it or are you replacing it?
Yes 4th gear is very close to same diameter as hub. A bearing splitter plate works with the flat side up to get hub off in a press.
Loctite will work to a point, but you need to heat hub to expand it (like what you do for a crank gear) for it to be a more interference fit.

As the power and torque increased, VW changed the way they installed the syncro hubs, from a press fit to first using brazing then electron beam welding.
With the early style hub you have, welding the hub on is really the only sure way to keep it from spinning.
Yes I have spun a hub on a gear using Loctite with only a 1200cc engine in a off road race car years ago.
Welding can be done with either a Tig or Mig. Using a Mig requires using shielding gas, Not flux core wire! You are trying to keep the heat down so as not to overheat the hub. Tig is a better option for keeping heat down. After welding gear needs to be hone (so it not tight on bearing) and surfaced on side where welding has be done.
The welds are short, either 2 or 4 small welds strips between the slots for oiling on hub. Also I add to extra oiling slots to get more oil to surface and bearing.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsturtlebuggy wrote:

Yes 4th gear is very close to same diameter as hub. A bearing splitter plate works with the flat side up to get hub off in a press.
Loctite will work to a point, but you need to heat hub to expand it (like what you do for a crank gear) for it to be a more interference fit.

I guess that I have to find a bearing splitter better matched to the diameter I am working with. Someone on STF has done some research on using loctite, and has found that using some abrasive on the mating surfaces in addition to the loctite made the fit stronger. Here's a quote from that thread:

"I did some tests. The first test was to bond them in exactly the condition the parts were made. Cleaned them well with Brake Kleen, then pressed them together with Loctite 680 spread evenly over both parts. Directions stated 24hr cure at room temp. I gave it a few more days. The reading I got when I pressed it apart converted to 400 ftlbs.

Next was to rough up the surfaces with some 60 grit sandpaper. I made sure not to lean on the parts to affect the press fit. Also note that every time you press the parts on and off, it wears out the press fit, so any reduction in grip could be due to that. However, this time it took more force to push the parts apart. Converted, I get 530 ftlbs. The sandpaper definitely helped."

I'm just building a stockish trans to go into a straight axle bus, nothing fancy. I bought hardened keys just because the original one (for the 3-4 drive hub) looked a bit hammered, other than that all stock parts. Looks like I'm asking for a bearing splitter for Christmas..
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rd and low fourths should be easy just set on a piece of tubing the right size. A tube supports all the way around so even a small lip is enough. Tubing can be bought cheap from scrapyard and if you operate a press eventually you will collect plenty of scrap anyhow.

If the gear is bigger than the hub and you only have a tiny groove to support then may have to make a special tool.
Can go about that several ways. Machinist thinking is carve it out of a solid piece with much work.

My thinking is build it up from small parts. SO for instance take a big washer that is near the right size to fit into the tiny groove you have. Weld it to a tube. Cut in half. Then you can clamp it together on your piece with a few hose clamps or chain-grips.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bearing splitter is what I use. I have taken a burr, and ground the radius of the opening close to the diameter of the gear. Also grind the surface touching the gear, and mating to pressing the hub at a 90 degree corner to keep the bearing plate from catching/dragging the gear teeth when pressing off the hub. You'll need a splitter that has the bolts through it, so you can snug it down on the side of the gear, but not tight enough to drag the teeth of the gear. Although switching the hubs will change the drive surfaces, if the worn surface is worn badly enough, then the trans will pop out of gear upon de-acceleration. The hub drive surface only wears 9 teeth in 3, 3 teeth sections that are wider than the others. It's better to remove the hubs, and grind the worn teeth completely off, then the slider will use the remaining non-worn teeth on the drive hub. And yes, if you're going this far, weld the hub back on. If you can't do the welding, and honing that may/may not be needed, find someone that can.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea. If you can get some cheap chinese bearing splitters then grind to fit!! The good ones are a lot of cash tho.

Unlike epoxy..........the faster loctite cures the stronger it is, so a fresh sanded surface DOES make it work better. Even better if you don't clean it after sanding. Even the tiny bits of metal dust seem to help the cure!!!
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I read that on the STF too. Until it put in a vehicle with an engine that has the torque to really test it , I still will say welding the hub is really the only way to keep hubs from spinning.
Also by going to a straight axle instead of using reduction boxes, you are changing the torque applied to the gears inside the transmission.
The bearing splitter I have is from Snap-on (I have had for more than 30 years now). There are other good quality ones out there too. Proto and others make good ones. You may find good used one on line or in a use tool store too.
Also when I am pressing the hub off, once I have the hub moved up the gear a little, I reposition the splitter further under the edges of the hub.
Another thing that is done is the worn teeth on the hub (it usually 3 teeth spaced in 3 location around the hub) are cut off so that the other teeth contact the slider.
Long Enterprises www.longenterprises.com machines the sliders for full contact on all the teeth.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsturtlebuggy wrote:

Also by going to a straight axle instead of using reduction boxes, you are changing the torque applied to the gears inside the transmission.

The torque applied to the gears is from the engine. Changing the axles to reduction boxes doesn't change the engine.

To get the hubs off the gears, I use a short piece of 3" tubing from any muffler shop. Get it about 2" long, then cut it down it's length. Wrap a hose clamp around it's OD to adjust it to fit whatever ratio you're working with.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:

To get the hubs off the gears, I use a short piece of 3" tubing from any muffler shop. Get it about 2" long, then cut it down it's length. Wrap a hose clamp around it's OD to adjust it to fit whatever ratio you're working with.

I was hoping there was a solution that was this easy. Thanks a million, and happy holiday.
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce,
Maybe you should read about torque and how it applies all the way out to the tires contact on a surface.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you should think about how torque is generated. The engine doesn't know what gearbox is hooked up to it. Talk to engine builders who dyno engines. Max load is max load, regardless of the gearbox.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsturtlebuggy wrote:

Yes I have spun a hub on a gear using Loctite with only a 1200cc engine in a off road race car years ago.

Let me guess.... You were off roading and you jumped the car with your right foot to the floor. While in the air the engine quickly goes to redline. Then when you land, the tires instantly stop, creating a huge shock load that spun the gear.
I suggest Loctite for street cars.
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is no resistance at the end of the gearbox then zero torque is generated, doesn't matter if there is a detroit diesel in front of it, no torque will be generated. There fore a lower gear ratio will have less chance of spinning a hub than a taller one, hence third has less chance of failure than fourth. Aparently Bruce doesn't understand this. And yes, I do have a dyno.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chunk of tubing, held tight with a hose clamp did the trick, thanks! Heated the hub and it reinstalled easily with some loctite as recommended. Next question, where are my options for when I need new 3rd/ 4th gear hubs? I know that Long Enterprises has them, just wondering if/ what other options there are.
SD
bugguy076
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just buy some broken trannys for spare parts. Most of the racing parts in the drag car tranny came from used broken trannys I bought or were given to me.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
If there is no resistance at the end of the gearbox then zero torque is generated, doesn't matter if there is a detroit diesel in front of it, no torque will be generated. There fore a lower gear ratio will have less chance of spinning a hub than a taller one, hence third has less chance of failure than fourth.

I see what you're getting at. Sure, at part throttle, the gear ratios affect how much torque the engine will make. But, IMO, that's not relevant to the topic at hand. If the synchro hubs are going to let go, it will happen at full throttle, not part throttle. And at full throttle, the max torque of the engine is the max torque the input shaft will ever see, regardless of what gear you're in. IOW, the torque applied through 3rd gear's synchro hub will be exactly the same as through 4th gear's synchro hub.
Why would the synchro hub let go while cruising down the freeway (engine making 40ftlbs of torque) and not 3 minutes before when you were at full throttle on the freeway on-ramp (engine making 80 ftlbs of torque)?
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
mcmscott wrote:
If there is no resistance at the end of the gearbox then zero torque is generated, doesn't matter if there is a detroit diesel in front of it, no torque will be generated. There fore a lower gear ratio will have less chance of spinning a hub than a taller one, hence third has less chance of failure than fourth.

I see what you're getting at. Sure, at part throttle, the gear ratios affect how much torque the engine will make. But, IMO, that's not relevant to the topic at hand. If the synchro hubs are going to let go, it will happen at full throttle, not part throttle. And at full throttle, the max torque of the engine is the max torque the input shaft will ever see, regardless of what gear you're in. IOW, the torque applied through 3rd gear's synchro hub will be exactly the same as through 4th gear's synchro hub.
Why would the synchro hub let go while cruising down the freeway (engine making 40ftlbs of torque) and not 3 minutes before when you were at full throttle on the freeway on-ramp (engine making 80 ftlbs of torque)?

It won't let go driving down the freeway, but will under full throttle. Due to gear ratio "multiplication" it will happen sooner in fourth than third. You will always have more load in fourth than third. If this wasn't the case you would just start in fourth gear.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have seen.... Usually its 3rd gear spinning the hub.

Aggressive driving, speed shifting and "clutching" 3rd is usually the culprit.

Its called shock load.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: