Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rare EMPI VW Logo Glove Box Door Pull
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Rare EMPI VW Logo Glove Box Door Pull Reply with quote

This EMPI VW logo glove box pull was on e-bay. Is there a way to tell if it is the real deal or a reproduction?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member of 67 Posse
Omaha Volkswagen Club
Neb VVWCA Chapter Rep
Volkswagen Club of Nebraska
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second (lower picture) is a reproduction. Notice the double ring around VW. I need to see the inside of the one pictured on the chair to give you an opinion of that one but it has a good chance. Wink
aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information, I was hoping I would hear from you. The one pictured in the top photo also has a double ring around the logo. By chance do you have a picture you can post of the real deal?

Member of 67 Posse
Omaha Volkswagen Club
Neb VVWCA Chapter Rep
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aircooled wrote:
Thanks for the information, I was hoping I would hear from you. The one pictured in the top photo also has a double ring around the logo. By chance do you have a picture you can post of the real deal?

No..........not the same ring structure. Look carefully Wink

The first one is probably OG............it would depend on the thickness of the actual metal, but it is exactly how it should look without measuring it. I would have to take mine off the car to show you any possible differences, but look carefully at the first photo and you will see everything you need to know about how the engraving should look on a correct example.
srm1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I contacted the seller on Ebay about that item. He had seven pictures of the item. But one of the pictures showed it attached to a glove box door. So I asked if ALL the picture were of the same item. He responded with "there all the same but the last picture (the one attached to the glove box door). The picture of the one on the door was OG. The one he was selling was a repop. The one he was selling was really wide, Let's call it a three finger. Where the OG ones Iv'e seen are not as wide, more like two finger.

My VW motto is - Out with the OLD. In with the EVEN OLDER !!!!!!!!!!
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

srm1956 wrote:
I contacted the seller on Ebay about that item. He had seven pictures of the item. But one of the pictures showed it attached to a glove box door. So I asked if ALL the picture were of the same item. He responded with "there all the same but the last picture (the one attached to the glove box door). The picture of the one on the door was OG. The one he was selling was a repop. The one he was selling was really wide, Let's call it a three finger. Where the OG ones Iv'e seen are not as wide, more like two finger.

So-----a reproduction sold for $170 ?
TyeDyeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeppers...glad i have an orig Very Happy I wanted to buy it to post up the differences but not at $170 Shocked
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These things are a real minefield now.

About 8 years ago, somebody had the bright idea to laser engrave some real EMPI pull downs. They look good but they really aren't near the quality of the Jeff Walters originals. First, the real ones are heavily brass plated and more than twice as thick as the EMPI ones. Second, they are engraved deeply into the brass and then thickly chrome plated (a magnet will not even stick to them). You can always tell a light laser etch from a real engraving, but the emblem is the same size and reproduced exactly, so from 10 ft away they appear to be perfect. These fakes originated on the east coast but I see them occasionally at The Classic here in California. When I casually inquire about them, I find that the owners paid several hundred dollars for their reproduction. Human nature seems to suggest that if you paid a lot, it must be real; sadly that is not the case. Do your homework like aircooled and save yourself some serious coin. These things are really rare...............they're probably not going to show up on eBay.
aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

53 0val, The thing that really got me thinking about a reproduction was the thread back in 2005 that you gave the history. Thank you very much for your help. It is always great to be able to get to the expert. Thanks again!!!

Member of 67 Posse
Omaha Volkswagen Club
Neb VVWCA Chapter Rep
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aircooled wrote:
53 0val, The thing that really got me thinking about a reproduction was the thread back in 2005 that you gave the history. Thank you very much for your help. It is always great to be able to get to the expert. Thanks again!!!

Thanks for the complement, but this is a very limited area of expertise. Wink

I do remember that earlier discussion and hoped that it would help buyers from getting burned with some of the fakes that were out there at the time. Reproductions are really about all you will find readily available now, and that's OK if they are noted as being reproductions and the price is commensurate with that understanding. I think it is criminal to ask $400+ for a reproduction that is falsely advertised as being an original.

I get several PM's a year about these things and I have only seen ONE in all these years that was offered for sale that was OG. It is now owned by Mike Porter in Yuma Arizona. He's on the Samba, but I can't remember the name he uses in here. Confused I know where seven of the twelve are currently, and four of them are out of the country, so it's going to be a difficult chase for anyone who has to have one. My advise is buy a nice reproduction and don't pay more than $100 for it.......................as I mentioned, the reproductions are taking on a life of their own now, and they do make for a nice accessory.
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

53 0val wrote:

I get several PM's a year about these things and I have only seen ONE in all these years that was offered for sale that was OG. It is now owned by Mike Porter in Yuma Arizona. He's on the Samba, but I can't remember the name he uses in here. Confused

Mike = thevwcollector
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RareAir wrote:
53 0val wrote:

I get several PM's a year about these things and I have only seen ONE in all these years that was offered for sale that was OG. It is now owned by Mike Porter in Yuma Arizona. He's on the Samba, but I can't remember the name he uses in here. Confused

Mike = thevwcollector

Hey........thanks Glenn. Cool
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

53 0val wrote:
RareAir wrote:
53 0val wrote:

Mike = thevwcollector

Hey........thanks Glenn. Cool

I go to Yuma at least 5 times a year and never see ACVW's.
Off topic but, Bob & Glenn you both are a true asset to this site.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a really bad copy for $250
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1731488

1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RareAir wrote:
Here's a really bad copy for $250
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1731488

Thanks Glenn..........I've seen that laser fake without the shading as well. I'm sure the seller is correct.........they are rare. Wink
Hotdog Jr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: EMPI Pull Down Reply with quote

My bad, Logo was computer lasered on, the pull down is Original EMPI, will need to watch how I word things.

New Bee........

Posting has been Fixed !!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Pull Down Reply with quote

Hotdog Jr wrote:
My bad, Logo was computer lasered on, the pull down is Original EMPI, will need to watch how I word things.

New Bee........

Posting has been Fixed !!!!

Hotdog Jr.? Is that you Mark? Very Happy

Welcome to The Samba!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: