Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I got a letter from the Toll Booth people in Texas.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgn2bapt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Even if you're right it ain't worth the grief.

Its that kind of mentality that perpetuates this horseshittery.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send a polite screed explaining your issues as noted above, ask for proof of infraction, registered mail. Make the tax payers of Texas get their money's worth out of the agency but reply by fates etc.
I got a demand letter from Bridgeport Ct for the late payment penalty portion of a parking ticket written against my plate number on a white jeep. The plate it on a blue Benz. I. Have never owned a Jeep. I told them it was incorrect...and demanded the original $75 fine returned as it had obviously been paid by mistake. Never heard from them again
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rolled thru a N.J. EZ pass thingy coming home from Trailbash a few years back in my Red '91 Vanagoon, I had no pass, never herd jack from N.J.....

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like total scam material.

Hopefully you didn't provide them any more information on the phone. Having grown up in the age of fishers I guess I'm just more skeptical.
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now you owe them $10. But what about next month and the month after?

Somehow this tag has been pinned to you. As previously mentioned if you just blow it off you may find yourself in a cage after a short ride in the back of a patrol car one night.

Or your state of residence may refuse to renew your registration until you pay this fine.

Paying the $10 to make it go away may not make it go away. That may only take care of what that tag has racked up so far, but as you read this they may be out there going through more toll lanes.

I wouldn't send them anything with any registration information on it just yet. But I think I would send a notarized letter explaining you have never owned that type of vehicle or had that tag number registered to you. And ask them to close this case and send you proof that it has been closed.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

Needless to say... she missed the last one going South.. around midnight and a few months later.. we got a nice picture of the back end of the truck with the tag... and a fine.. Confused
Is what it was....

So she ran the EZPass lane without an EZPAss?

Dave

In NC....wez don't needs no stinkin' EZ pass... Laughing ....yet

Yeah she slowed down missed her shot at the toll....said "oh shit" and was back pedal to the metal...
I was laughing pretty hard at the time..

After ya miss it...you are screwed...
Needed a James Bond switch on that one...

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to read between the lines here, but all I can tell is that the plates that you left on the donated suburban were the ones used in this scam(?).

Only because I have the time and typical persuasive ability to do so... I'd see if my local DMV office would fax anything to these people. I'd visit them based on the genuine worry that you are being scammed by an agency representing themselves as TX authorities. I'm sure I could get that help here in Boise.

Without your local offices' help, there is no way I'd fax them info. If they think those FL plates are the only ones falsely being displayed for border crossings, their practices should be reported to Homeland Security, at least the USBP. I'd send a CC'd letter to both those agencies, asking if the claim from TXTAG is legit. One call from HS will make them rethink their tactics.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
69 GVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you read the little pamphlet that DMV gives out for those taking the license test? I do remember something about out of state registrations having to be re-registered in California within X amount of days... Cops around here will ticket you if they see the same out of state plate too many times.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
djkeev wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

Needless to say... she missed the last one going South.. around midnight and a few months later.. we got a nice picture of the back end of the truck with the tag... and a fine.. Confused
Is what it was....

So she ran the EZPass lane without an EZPAss?

Dave

In NC....wez don't needs no stinkin' EZ pass... Laughing ....yet

Yeah she slowed down missed her shot at the toll....said "oh shit" and was back pedal to the metal...
I was laughing pretty hard at the time..

After ya miss it...you are screwed...
Needed a James Bond switch on that one...

I have EZPass and have gotten payment notices! Not so much on the Highways but from the Delaware Joint Toll Bridge Commission....... Their system isn't the best!

Just had to send them their $1 ........ They couldn't just suck it out of the EZPass account......only option was to Send cash! ......... So 1900's!
Actually a check plus envelope plus postage for doing no wrong!

No option but to send it. No biggie, just a bother...........

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they can't read the number, they're not supposed to send the bill. A couple of years ago, I took E-470 (a private toll road that goes to Denver Int'l Airport) in a snowstorm and passed through 4 camera toll stations, but only got billed for 3...

Lesson learned from this thread--if you sell a car, make the new owner use their own tags (plates outside the South & West) when they drag the car home (unless you're in CA, OR, or WA). You don't want to be a party to a lawsuit if the yahoo decides to keep using them on an uninsured car and they get into an accident and you haven't cancelled the registration/turned the plates back into the DMV.
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad we don't have toll roads. No problems.

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I my not be totally correct but a I don't think those tickets are at all connected to the d.m.v. Therefore there can be no legal ramifications. At least that's what I believe to be true In CA. So therefore they can pick out a rope of their choosing, color, material or length and relieve themselves up it.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

janerick3 wrote:
If they can't read the number, they're not supposed to send the bill. A couple of years ago, I took E-470 (a private toll road that goes to Denver Int'l Airport) in a snowstorm and passed through 4 camera toll stations, but only got billed for 3...

Lesson learned from this thread--if you sell a car, make the new owner use their own tags (plates outside the South & West) when they drag the car home (unless you're in CA, OR, or WA). You don't want to be a party to a lawsuit if the yahoo decides to keep using them on an uninsured car and they get into an accident and you haven't cancelled the registration/turned the plates back into the DMV.

In Idaho, when you sell a car, you send in $2 to process a title indemnity form- saying you are no longer responsible for what any FO does- the same should be true of any (goofy) state that has the plates follow the car. Here, you own the plates- so they come off whenever you sell. I'll never be implicated in any interstate toll scam via my ex-plates.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
janerick3 wrote:

In Idaho, when you sell a car, you send in $2 to process a title indemnity form- saying you are no longer responsible for what any FO does- the same should be true of any (goofy) state that has the plates follow the car. Here, you own the plates- so they come off whenever you sell. I'll never be implicated in any interstate toll scam via my ex-plates.
Actually, as of the first of this year, the price went up to $3.50. It's printed on newer titles. They expect you to know this when you sell a car with an older title.

FU#3
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchback wrote:
It's printed on newer titles. They expect you to know this when you sell a car with an older title.
Figures... I should experience selling a car more frequently!

FU#5
RixiesRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
A nice lady finally answered my call. She said not only is this plate not registered to me but Florida has never even issued a plate with that number. Sounding very fishy. Also I noticed that my name on the letter is kinda wierd. Instead of it being for instance "Smith John J" like it should be it's "J Smith John". They tell you that phishing emails are like that.

I just went to the FL dmv website where you can check to see if a plate number is available for personalised plates and it stated the plate number in question is "Not Available". I then checked for another configuration and that one came up as "Available".

I'd check again with dmv, maybe she looked up the wrong plate number.

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/RixiesRide/WW/
chaosisme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
janerick3 wrote:

California has something similar if not the same. Vehicle titles have a release of liability portion you can tear off and mail in to the DMV after handing over your title to a new owner.

I sold a car to a guy who racked up a few parking tickets with it in San Diego, and I guess he hadnt bothered to register it. I had made a copy of the release form and mailed that back to the traffic wombles in San Diego after they sent me a notice. I never heard from them again.

'68 FI Sunroof Squareback

'70 Westy

OCT3 - Orange County Type 3's
texstardetail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a legit bill. I live right by the toll road. I HATE TxTag, as do many. Always screwing up bills. We moved and did a change of address. My $30 bill turned into several hundred in "office fees". Im refusing to pay. Every toll I went through, several in one day, I was charged the toll and $25 per toll for the "office crap".

I sold a trailer, left the plate on so the guy could tow it home. Started getting bills in the mail as he was running up and down the toll roads. I called and they took care of it. So basically, it snaps a pic of the plate and send a bill to where it is registered. If you sold/traded the vehicle with the plates still, someone is using them illegally. You need to contact your DMV and get it taken care of asap to get the plate # out of your name.
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgn2bapt wrote:
Quote:
Even if you're right it ain't worth the grief.

Its that kind of mentality that perpetuates this horseshittery.

As explained, it can come back to bite you at a later date. Usually when all systems are go to close an escrow then something like this pops up in the eleventh hour.
It's the bad part about all the tech that is at our finger tips these days.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They execute people for less than that in Texas.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: