Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Secondary / Auxiliary Battery Question
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
robertgriner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Secondary / Auxiliary Battery Question Reply with quote

Can someone explain to me what "else" I need before my Vanagon is ready to cruise with a second battery?

1 - Maybe an explanation of what needs to be connected to what (in the picture) would be hugely helpful to aid in my ignorance.

I've taken a photo of what came in my van when I purchased it last year. I'm ready to get another battery for accessories, etc., but want to make sure I have all I need.

2 - Also...anyone know what this extra harness is?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks in advance !!
MacLeod Willy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: aux Reply with quote

It looks like the short harness just hooks to the battery and the white plug is a quick disconnect.
They used a constant duty solenoid to disconnect it in the off position. Red looks + White -
Little miffed what the single blank term is for. Better trace that one!
Vinzanto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally like the advantages of the Yandina C100 battery combiner.

As stated on their website: "The Combiner 100 is a precision voltage-sensing relay (13.0 volts) which connects two batteries together when
either is receiving a charge. When the charging ceases, it
disconnects so that each battery operates independently
and prevents accidental discharge of the starting battery."

I use it in conjunction with the GW aux kit.
MacLeod Willy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: aux Reply with quote

This does the same thing, when the ign is on, the selonoid pulls in and simply connects the aux battery to the main for charging.

I took it one step further, I used a toggle switch so I could use it to jumpstart if the main battery went dead
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much room left for a battery. I would try to move the pictured components to get more room for a bigger battery.
Dave Wood Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoWesty has a install kit and some helpful videos to explain what you need

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=2418&category_id=&category_parent_id
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsxsr wrote:
Not much room left for a battery. I would try to move the pictured components to get more room for a bigger battery.

Good advice unless you intend to get an aux. battery that is bigger than the stock location, in which case you could leave this solenoid isolator in place and put the larger capacity battery elsewhere. Lots of reading to be done here on alternative locations.

I have no experience with this GW setup but have not regretted installing the Yandina unit inside the same compartment. The 44 Ah AGM battery will fit in there with it no problem.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singler3360 wrote:
The 44 Ah AGM battery will fit in there with it no problem.

And that might be all the OP needs depending on what is hooked up to it.

It's easy to read all of the threads where folks are installing much larger battery banks, solar, etc. and come away with the impression that all of that is necessary. I've found my 44ah to be plenty adequate for my camping needs (running the sink, LED interior lights, some stereo use. I use an ice chest for refrigeration).
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually encourage people to ask a themselves a few questions when they decide that they want an auxiliary battery in their van.

1 - How do I plan to use the auxiliary battery?

2 - Where do I want to mount the auxiliary battery?

3 - How can I be as efficient as possible to ensure that the auxiliary battery is being used to maximize both my enjoyment and the lifespan of the battery?

4 - Will I be adding a solar panel at some point?

5 - How much money do I have to spend?

6 - Do I need an inverter (this is an easy one, the answer is "NO" unless you need to run medical equipment or accessories that can't possibly be powered via 12VDC with the proper charger).

Once you have sorted out the answers to all of these questions, it is much easier to identify what your actual needs will be and start designing a system that will serve your needs well.

The unit shown in the first photo is a simple Solenoid used to combine the batteries via the blue alternator exciter circuit wire when the alternator is producing a charge, then separate the batteries when the van is turned off.

It looks like a new dedicated feed wire from the starting battery may have been run up through the floor of the battery compartment (inside the corrugated loom) to power the solenoid. This is a much better approach than pulling the power through the long run of old/thin stock wiring like the GoWesty kit encourages, since it presents a sorter wiring run, with less inherent voltage drop and will improve charging performance.

It might be a good idea to replace (or at the very least label) the black wires that appear to be used as positives that are shown on what I assume is a circuit breaker with all of the yellow and blue connectors. I often tell people that wires don't care what color they are, as long as they are labeled well if they don't follow traditional color coding.

At any rate, if robertgriner can answer the questions that I listed at the top of this post, it should be a lot easier to help to get him set up with just what he needs for his auxiliary battery system.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: