Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiring questions - mystery wire in federal aircooled
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chompy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Wiring questions - mystery wire in federal aircooled Reply with quote

Hey everyone, I'm finishing up rebuilding an efi system from an 81 aircooled vanagon that was switched over to a progressive by the PO. I have a couple of questions on some of the remaining wiring. The first shot is what I assume is the o2 sensor wire(white)?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

While the second shot shows the brown shielded wire.

Does this attach to the coil? I was looking at the bentley but I'd appreciate any input from someone with the same engine as well.

Thanks

Last edited by chompy on Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
midmo81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked again at my 81 California wiring.
The longer wire goes to coil. Standard plug was double with white and green together on that side of coil.

Next short white wire out of the bundle seems more like the temp2 sensor with the plastic connector missing. On mine the O2 sensor wire is a big green wire...seen in photo.

May be differences for Federal wiring that I do not know.
chompy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a bunch for the shots, that helps a lot!
chompy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring questions - O2 sensor and mystery brown Reply with quote

I just finished up every other part of installing the EFI system and this wire still has me stumped...
chompy wrote:

If anyone has a Federal air cooled vanagon and wants to go look or even take a picture of the left side of the engine wiring harness right underneath the double relay I would really appreciate it. There was a spare wire coming out of the double relay harness that goes to ground at the moment, and I have the nagging feeling I read the wiring wrong and there is the possibility it hooks into this mystery wire.

Thanks again!
chompy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So looking back at your wiring I think you are correct. This short white wire is for the temp sensor(mine is missing the plastic cover like you said). Unfortunately my wire bundle doesn't include the black wire you have which bends back into the bundle(unless I'm mistaken). My cylinder head temp sensor is connected via a dark green wire that is shielded. You can see it next to the bright green wire in my other picture.

If anyone with an federal aircooled engine could just take a few shots of these areas of wiring I would really appreciate it. I'm so close to being able to try firing this bad boy up again, and this single wire is driving me nuts!
GreenMachineVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can see ...

You are correct about the Temp 2 sensor wire: it is that male spade connector that is missing an insulator. Not sure why you did not get the insulator with the harness ...

The second wire does indeed look like the wire that goes to the coil. This should be a single white wire in a grey (now brown) sleeve, coming all the way from near the AFM. I routed mine alongside the fuel lines, so it would not look the same in a photo. On the Federal Coils, there is only one white and one green on the negative (1) side of the coil, (green from condenser, white from engine harness) and one black on the positive (15) side, which comes from the main harness running underneath the Vanagon from the front.
a2d2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chompy wrote:
If anyone with an federal aircooled engine could just take a few shots of these areas of wiring I would really appreciate it. I'm so close to being able to try firing this bad boy up again, and this single wire is driving me nuts!

Hey Chompy, looks like GreenMachineVW beat me to it but that wire sure does look like it goes to the Temp 2...

Here is a pic for you:

GreenMachineVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a photo of that section, before installation. When rebuilding, I prepared the EFI system in advance, shown here. The harness is a Federal version, built by Kyle. It is, for our purposes, identical to the OEM. The California harness pictured in other posts, is different. From the main harness, you can see under the plenum where wires branch out for ground (3 bare white wires), and 3 sleeves of wires to the Auxiliary Air Regulator, Cold Start Valve and Temp Timer (or something like that ..). By the driver side injectors, where the connections have not yet been made, the wires branch out with one big bundle for the double relay and resistors, two sleeves of wires to the injectors, and a bare white wire, in a clear insulator, for the temp-two sensor. Coming from the right in the picture is the single wire that goes to the negative side of the coil, along with the green condenser wire. Again, this is different from the California models which have electronic ignition and resistors built into the ECU. Click on the picture and view the larger version for clarity.

chompy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Thank you all, that is exactly what I was missing! The temp 2 sensor was missing on the head so there was no way to know that is where it was supposed to go. I had assumed the temp sensor I had was an extra...

Thanks again! I'll post back after I finish and attempt starting it!
GreenMachineVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you probably surmised, the temp2 is clearly visible in a2d2 picture. In my picture, you can see the unconnected temp2 black wire with the shiny brass terminal end.

Good luck with the startup!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: