Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

UPDATE: Added Video - Wheel bearing symptoms?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GreenG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:00 am    Post subject: UPDATE: Added Video - Wheel bearing symptoms? Reply with quote

Hi all, still getting my new to me 88 Westy sorted out. You guys were great help with a cooling system leak I had, so let's try this again.

As I go through the van reducing squeaks and rattles as well as dynamatting everything it's gotten much quieter.

However now I have a noise that I can't decide if it is normal tire noise or bad wheel bearings. The van is very quiet until about 50 mph, then a soft roaring sound starts that just gets louder up to 70.

I jacked up the back, put it in neutral and rotated the tires, all good. Then I grabbed the tire at 6 and 12 and rocked it back in forth. There is slight play - about the same amount on both back wheels - but I'm not sure how much is normal for these.

Am I being paranoid? Any other ways to test?

Last edited by GreenG on Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
GreenG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just went back out to the driveway - jacked up the front this time and checked for movement at 6 and 12. Right wheel - no movement at all just solid. Left front - movement. So it sounds like the movement may not be "normal"...
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reads like a bad wheel bearing to me.

Make sure you change the entire set and keep the cup and cone matched.
There's plenty of info here on doing them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heavy tread (snow tires) will hum at highway speeds. To adjust front bearings see...http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=344196&highlight=wheel+bearing+torque
Rear wheel bearings should not have any play- check torque values in your Bentley

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF you can find another Van locally anfpd IF younare on good terms and IF his is quiet at speed, borrow his tires for an hour and go for a ride.

Cheapest, easiest way to eliminate tires as the noise maker.

Tires can really detract from a quiet ride depending upon road surface, tread design, etc.

That's where I'd start but hey! I've git a local buddies' van to do this with if I need to.

Take a goodmlook at your rubber engine mounts, they can deteriorate and transmit drivetrain noise.

Check your transmission and differential oil as well. A worn drive train can make all sorts of odd noises at speed.

Wheel bearings also tend to vary their noise when turning. Does the noise pitch and intensity change during a Right turn? Left turn?

No change on turns? Suspect something other than bearings.

The other option is to by new bearings, put them in..... Just start diagnosing via part replacement.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GreenG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pioneer1 wrote:

Rear wheel bearings should not have any play- check torque values in your Bentley

This is what I was wondering. So if I have any lateral play in the rear wheels that is not normal.

I'll check the torque (360 ft lbs according to Mr Bently), but I'd think at this point it won't matter if the bearings need to be replaced...
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A trick I use is to drive slowly along & very near a tall concrete wall with the windows down. This often helps you pinpoint if the noise is coming from a specific wheel.

Drive slowly each way to determine the side then listen for whether it is front or rear (a passenger may be helpful for a right-side noise).

Lots of big box stores (e.g. The Home Depot) have such a wall in an area behind them with no traffic.
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the other one Ive used is remove the engine hatch and drive slow to listen for issues in the rear.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack up front, spin first one side in a silent garage then the other. If one has a faint rumble you've got it.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearing symptoms? Reply with quote

GreenG wrote:
However now I have a noise that I can't decide if it is normal tire noise or bad wheel bearings. The van is very quiet until about 50 mph, then a soft roaring sound starts that just gets louder up to 70.

Front wheel bearings start to rumble at lower speeds and increase with speed. They will also change sound as you swing the steering wheel left and right and change the loading on the tapered bearings.

The plain roller bearings in the rear come on suddenly at ~42 MPH and sound the same no matter the speed or cornering load.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had rear bearing issues in the past. The best way I found was hearing the noise on a straight section of road around 25mph. I found that if went around a corner in one direction the sound went away, in the other it did not. Sure sign of a bearing problem.
GreenG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE:
Here are two videos explaining what I'm hearing - it's that tie-fighter sound (seems louder in person):

Link

Link
delta9007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it me or does it sound louder on right hand turns? Also seems to almost quit when you're braking. The first says front left wheel bearing the second just wheel bearing. All of this assumes you have equal tire pressure and wear, left to right.
Jack that puppy up and spin each wheel by hand whilst listening (go to Harbor Freight or some such and get a stethoscope) close to the hub, preferably from behind the wheel, you'll find it.
John Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens when you push the clutch in and disengage the gearbox while moving and the noise is present? Let the RPMs drop and roll at speed. Does the sound change?
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the spirit of more info is better I have a wheel bearing question.

A couple of years (and 20k+ miles) ago I noticed play in my rear wheels and suspected bearings. No noise at all, but a bit of play. Didn't know much then and had just gotten my van, so I took it to a local shop to see if it was the axle nut or something. They said it was the wheel bearings, and that both sides were bad. Wanting to err on the side of fewer problems I had them both replaced. After they were replaced, they were tighter, but a wee bit of play still...

I noticed last summer that I now have a high pitched squeak that builds and fades from the rear passenger tire, and can hear it when I go past walls etc. Has gotten louder over time. Stops when I put on the brakes. Someone said wheel bearings again, but my sounds don't sound like the OP's sounds, or some of the diagnostics mentioned here...can high pitched also be bearings, or is it more likely brake shoes?

Last edited by tarandusVDub on Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run your hands over the tread of your tires and see how much feathering the lugs have.
GreenG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed. It took me a while to figure out which wheel, but it was the left front. I -can not- believe how much noise and vibration went away. I also can't believe that it spun so nicely when off the ground - If it wasn't for the play in the wheel at 6 and 12 I would have never believed the bearing was bad.

Thanks for all your help!
BlueGrasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was that a stop sign you blew through at about 41 seconds in? Wink

Good thing the state trooper was further down the road Very Happy

Congrats on the noise resolution!
delta9007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh! I guessed left front! (see my post above) What did I win? Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: