Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Small hole in roof
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vw donvieira
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Small hole in roof Reply with quote

This is quite embarrassing to say the least. I took my 1964 KG to have the headliner installed because I was too scared to do it myself. So I take it to local guy who was from Los Angeles and shows me a few ghia's that he has done. So I have him do the job. Well I come back the next day and his worker drilled a hole through the roof trying to enlarge the holes that hold the headliner bows. I am at a loss here. It is about 1/4". He backed it with some 16ga steel and siliconed it to the inside. I think he tried to weld it with his wire feed as I say some 0.25 wire on the floor. I am just sick about this as the car is painted/polished just needed the headliner so I could install the windows. The headliner is in.

-I have to items:
-por patch
and
Q-Bond

-I really do not want to weld up that area unless I have no other choice.
-Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, VW don
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JB Weld works good w/no heat.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
offshores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone else drilled a hole through your roof and you're wondering how you should fix it???
Anyways, I've used POR Putty (patch) and like it.
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still gagging when I think about this. You have a freshly painted and polished ghia and a guy at the upholstry shop drilled HOLE through the ROOF?!

That shop has to fix it; like sand, weld, grind, sand, prime, paint and polish fix it . Not stick a band aid on it.

You have incredible patience. But they need to fix that the right way.
vw donvieira
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in absolute denial/shock/disbelief. Just couldn't fathom why anyone would get a drill out thinking he needed to make the holes the bows go through larger. I am still beside myself over this. This build is for the wife and I have been so careful and figured the guy had a few VW's in his book but his worker obviously made a terrible mistake. I have contacted my polisher person and filled the hole with Q-bond and dabbed a touch of the original paint and will have it evaled on Tuesday. I appreciate all the help and compassion. Nobody outside of those I know well won't touch this car now.
Thanks, vwdon
offshores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious what the shop proposed to do to fix their mistake? I feel bad for ya and hope the they take FULL responsibility for this. Good luck to ya...
vw donvieira
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was an interior shop in Stockton, CA off HWY 99.
-The shop owner initially started asking me if I cut my own bows and how they were too short and I am still thinking, "there is a little black spot on the roof..." and then he states his guy drilled a hole. So I immediately got the sense of rationalization ( I made these mistakes which led to this) by the owner. He stated he would cover it but he should have called me immediately after the hole to tell me what happened . His backing plate was a nice gesture bu he did not remove the Hushmat material so a weld may have caused a fire. As for the cover it part he should have just called the body shop and give them my name/problem and send him the bill instead of me giving him the bill. I should have just done it myself at the end of the day. I watched the jbugs video and have the Bentley book too but still hesitated and that is what got me.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vw donvieira wrote:
( I made these mistakes which led to this)

The shop owner gave you the impression that what YOU did led to THEM drilling a hole through that new paint????????? THAT'S B.S.!!!!!!

Really sickening story . . . a Ghia is a simple headliner to install! Doing the windows is the difficult part!
The shop has no excuse and MUST pay a body shop repair their mistake!!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: