Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

vw 1600 airboat direct drive 60 X 32 gsc wood prop
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
banditairboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: vw 1600 airboat direct drive 60 X 32 gsc wood prop Reply with quote

Hi guys, was wondering if somebody can help me with my airboat . It is 1600cc dual port with solex 34 carb. I am using a 60 32 gsc prop and I don't find it performing the way I expected. My boat is 14 X 5 fibreglass . Everything hull/cage/engine is just under 600lbs. Any suggestions would be great
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

60" is pretty coarse, my knowledge is slanted towards airplanes opposed to boats but something as unaerodynamic as that should have something closer to 48" or even much less to get it moving on that HP, right now it sounds like you are trying to start out in 3rd gear.

Is that a common pitch/length for that sort of boat and powerplant?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
banditairboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Culver props recommend a 62" X 32 pitch for my application. I am waiting for this prop to arrive. I put new cylinders/pistons and new heads before I built this airboat. Everything is stock. I don't know if I am getting the correct reading from the rpm gauge. it is one I used from a 2 stroke snowmobile. It reads 1000 rpm at full throttle but to me I think it is turning much faster than 1000. Not sure if this gauge works on these engines correctly
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rpm indicator should be hooked up to the coil and it is set to how many cylinders exist. So if you have a two stroke tack and set it to 2 cylinders it would read the correct RPM. Since VW needs 4 spark firings for two rotations you want to set you two stroke rpm indicator to count to 2 for each single rotation.

If your tachometer is hooked up to a single spark wire, the RPMs would read exactly half the actual RPM.

Beetle engines are supposed to idle at 850 rpm. I tell you that so you can hear when the beetle is idling about the right speed and look what multiple the tach is off, or utube a beetle idle, compare that to your VW engine idle and now see how far the tach is off.
banditairboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that means my engine is turning 2000 rpm with the 60" 32 pitch prop. Maybe it is still not enough rpm. But I used the boat on ice/snow and it cruises fairly good. Haven't had a chance to try it on the water yet. its my first ever experience with airboats and vw engines. maybe a new carb would help too because the 1 I am using isn't rebuilt
banditairboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody know if I should get more rpm with this prop and what should I do to get it.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds to me that you need to find an airboat forum or even join in an experimental/ultralight aircraft forum that are familiar with the VW engine and prop combinations. I'd imagine most of us here aren't that familiar with the pairing.. though you could get lucky! From what I have peripherally read there should be a gear reduction box to bring the rpm's up or down to suit the craft... hence my suggestion for an aircraft or airboat forum.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Google search shows over 300 posts about airboats on The Samba. Maybe read through those and contact the people in those threads who sound like they know what they're taking about?

There's also quite a few photos in the gallery. Again, maybe ask some of the owners who have posted photos.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mgreaves
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

banditairboat wrote:
Does anybody know if I should get more rpm with this prop and what should I do to get it.

Hello - if you are getting 2000 rpm with a GSC 60 x 32, you are doing very well. I run a 52 /18, and can pull 3000 on a completely stock engine. I think you will want to cut down your diameter for a direct drive prop - 60 inches will start to cavitate at higher RPMs
mgreaves
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mgreaves wrote:
banditairboat wrote:

Hello - if you are getting 2000 rpm with a GSC 60 x 32, you are doing very well. I run a 52 /18, and can pull 3000 on a completely stock engine. I think you will want to cut down your diameter for a direct drive prop - 60 inches will start to cavitate at higher RPMs

I have a new 52x36 GSC that is going on a direct drive 1914 with weber progressive carb. Hoping to pull 3000 rpm.

I think if you are using a 60 inch prop you will need to use a 1.5 reduction to get the most out of the engine and prop
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: