Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch master part number
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
3nero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:27 am    Post subject: Clutch master part number Reply with quote

A friend of mine just found a stack of type 4 bits in among a lot of parts he bought from a closed vw dealership. In the pile are a few Master cylinders. I need a new one for my car but he needs to know the part number to see if he has the right one. My cylinder is all crusty and i can't see any numbers on it, i've done a search through the archives here but still can't find the number i need. The car is a 1974 412LS right hand drive (if that makes any difference).
It's a daily driver so i don't want to go pulling out the cylinder just to find a number Embarassed
Lahti411
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clutch master cylinder part numbers:
411 721 405 C for LHD cars
412 721 405 B for RHD cars
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if the cylinder is not pitted you can rebuild your cylinder by taking the seals and brass flap valves out of the outer piston unit of a FAG type 3 brake master cylinder (if you have an FAG clutch master cylinder) or from an ATR type 3 brake master if you have an ATE clutch master.
You can also use the seals and flap valves from a vanagon clutch master.

In no cases can you swap pistons from any other cylinder into yours. Only the seals. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
3nero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool, thanks guys
I can send on the number now and hope a new cylinder turns up in the post Wink
Lahti411
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized something: I don't think that vw part number i gave you has been stamped on the master cylinder. I think there are only F.A.G. or Ate numbers on the mc. So, if your friend has just a pile of mc's he won't find any vw part numbers from those.
I'm going to my garage/storage this evening and if i just remember, i'll check those fag/Ate numbers from the spare parts i have.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't really need part #'s. The type 4 master cylinder is quite unique. If it looks like the one in the picture....thats it. I have never seen another one remotely cose to it in configuration. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Also, if the cylinder is not pitted you can rebuild your cylinder by taking the seals and brass flap valves out of the outer piston unit of a FAG type 3 brake master cylinder (if you have an FAG clutch master cylinder) or from an ATR type 3 brake master if you have an ATE clutch master.

In no cases can you swap pistons from any other cylinder into yours. Only the seals. Ray

Does it matter if the seals are from a type3 single or dual circuit master cylinder?
Also, have anyone found a good internet source for these seals, probably a type 3 brake cylinder rebuild kit?

/Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lars S wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

Does it matter if the seals are from a type3 single or dual circuit master cylinder?
Also, have anyone found a good internet source for these seals, probably a type 3 brake cylinder rebuild kit?

/Lars S

No it can be single or dual but it must be the outer piston of the dual, becausd it requires the shaft seal.

In the US rockauto has type 3 dual circuit master cylinder kits for about $25. Ray
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

....You can also use the seals and flap valves from a vanagon clutch master.

Thanks Ray!
From which generation vanagon do you believe the seals will fit? Found this for a "T3" vanagon:
http://www.vw-t3-bus-shop.de/en/reparatursatz-kupplungsnehmerzylinder-hersteller-ate

/Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That picture of that kit.....appears to be missing a seal!

I have used seals from 80 to 84.....without problem. I believe they are all the same bore size. You can also use the entire vanagon cylinder by bolting it to a piece of angle iron and drilling the mounting holes for the pedal cluster in the angle iron.

I have done this as well quite a while ago. I removed the modification after I realized I could just rebuild the stock cylinder with seals from a type 3 master cylinder kit as long as I used seals from the same brand of cylinder or from a Schafer universal kit. Ray
sergio92626
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Help: what is a FAG Type 3 or ATR Type 3? I have a 1973 VW412 and the clutch master cylinder is leaking badly. The repair kits mentioned above sound what I need. What specifically do I need to buy from ROCKAUTO?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to buy a master cylinder rebuild kit for a 1972 or 1973 VW type 3. When it comes, take all of the seals and the new boot and wnap ring and the brass flap valves......if ut comes with pistons....throw the metal pistons away. They do not fit in type 4 because the pistkn spacing is different.
Lap you cylinder with 400 grit wrapped around a stick with brake fluid if you don't have a 3/4" or 19mm brush hone. Then lap again with 800 or better. Then find a nylon bottle brush and clean the heck out of it in the hottest water you can with dishwashing soap. Be sure to dry it fast and well and assemble with brake paste or brake fluid immediately
If you use brake fluid...assemble within about 2 days. Ray
bradself
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the brake master and clutch master seals are interchangeable?

A note: there are no brass flap valves in the RockAuto T3 kit, those pistons do not have them.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bradself wrote:
So the brake master and clutch master seals are interchangeable?

A note: there are no brass flap valves in the RockAuto T3 kit, those pistons do not have them.

They are supposed to have them. If you have compensation ports under the cups....the little hole drillings.....they will not seal when you put pressure on the brake...causing slow bypass. It would also be a bitch to bleed.

If you get a kit from them missing those parts....contact them. If you look in the type 3 Bentley at the schematic you will not that the brass flap valves are there.

Typically within the brand types...FAG and ATE....the seals in the clutch and brake master are interchangeable.

The issue I found long ago and its only a slight issue if your cylinder bore is worn so its close to the max diameter....is that the inner bore against the piston....in the seals.....and the exact thickness or height of FAG and ATE seals....is very very slightly different.

If the cylinder is badly worn it can make for slightly less sealing quality because it allows a bit of seal flutter. I cannot remember if its FAG seals in ATE bores or vice versa that caused this problem.

However....in Shaffer kits...the seals are very slightly different and made to be universal.

Overall I have never had any serious problems swapping the seals into any make or model between FAG and ATE. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: