Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ba4 thermal resistor
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: ba4 thermal resistor Reply with quote

Does any one know where to get a thermal resistor for the temperature sensor or a replacement sensor?

Last edited by reluctantartist on Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which sensor.....the one that protrudes into the flame chamber or the one in the heater channel?
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bradself
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: ba4 thermalike resistor Reply with quote

reluctantartist wrote:
Does any one know where to get a thermal resistor for the temperature sensor or a replacement sensor?

There are 012s very cheap on RockAuto, and I use resistors from Radioshack. Look under "Engine" at Rockauto, not injection or electrics.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. Just so you know what he is talking about (you may never use your gas furnace where you live)....there is a thermistor of a very specifc form and wiring pattern that plugs into the heater channel on the drivers side rear near the heater fuel pump. The system will nit run without it if its broken or too far off.

Also there is a temp probe just like you find in a natural gas furnace or hot water heater with 4-6 wires in the combustion chamber. It will not run if its bad. There are some options. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am talking about the sensor in the heater channel. I was cleaning it and the resistor disintegrated.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reluctantartist wrote:
I am talking about the sensor in the heater channel. I was cleaning it and the resistor disintegrated.

I beleive its two thermistor s hooked in series and coated in epoxy. It should not be hard to make.....but I may have a spare. PM me. Ray
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldnt be to hard to find/make, the caractersic above and under +60deg C could be tested out, It should not have to be accurate far from +60C.

Made a quick test at my own sensor today, it showed to be a NTC (negative teperature coefficient; Rising temp - falling Ohms) thermistor and it gave these approx results:

104F/40C 10kOhm
122F/50C 6,5kOhm
140F/60C 5,5kOhm
158F/70C 3,5kOhm
176F/80C 2,5kOhm

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

/Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lars S wrote:
Wouldnt be to hard to find/make, the caractersic above and under +60deg C could be tested out, It should not have to be accurate far from +60C.

Made a quick test at my own sensor today, it showed to be a NTC (negative teperature coefficient; Rising temp - falling Ohms) thermistor and it gave these approx results:

104F/40C 10kOhm
122F/50C 6,5kOhm
140F/60C 5,5kOhm
158F/70C 3,5kOhm
176F/80C 2,5kOhm

/Lars S

Thank you for testing! I am going to test one of mine as well so we can compare to yours. I dont think it will be very hard to make either.
Agreed.....it does not have to be too accurate....just to have a decent range spread to allow even heating. Ray
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lars. I was able to use that data to pick up a variety of thermistors from mouser to try. I went to the electronic place here and the guy laughed at me. He had not had any call for thermistors in a very long time...looks like even the simple little parts are becoming rare. I will let everyone know what I come up with later this week
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reluctantartist wrote:
Thanks Lars. I was able to use that data to pick up a variety of thermistors from mouser to try. I went to the electronic place here and the guy laughed at me. He had not had any call for thermistors in a very long time...looks like even the simple little parts are becoming rare. I will let everyone know what I come up with later this week

Made a quick search at Vishay.com, the one in the middle column is pretty close.
Link to datasheet: http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/07eb/0900766b807eb3ba.pdf

/Lars S

Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I fixed it and it works even better now. I think it was on its way out before. I ended up using 135-203LAG-J01 A honeywell glass thermistor ...it is good for -60c to 300 c. It is 3900 ohms at 60c and 20k at 25c. It now runs and shuts off like it is supposed to. And it was an east fix with the soldering iron,.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reluctantartist wrote:
Well I fixed it and it works even better now. I think it was on its way out before. I ended up using 135-203LAG-J01 A honeywell glass thermistor ...it is good for -60c to 300 c. It is 3900 ohms at 60c and 20k at 25c. It now runs and shuts off like it is supposed to. And it was an east fix with the soldering iron,.

Nice! I think we will all, be there sooner or later. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: