Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

front tires rub when turning
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
karfer67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: front tires rub when turning Reply with quote

this is driving me nuts and wondering what i can do to change this. when i turn to go into a parking lot the tires always scrape. i did notice the other day that the passenger side is lower than the driverside which i want to equal out. it is only the fronts that rub and the tires are 145's. would swaping to 135's make a big difference? also the wheels i have are empi 8 spokes. not sure how much the front has been lowered looks like two clicks to me but as i said the passenger side is lower by about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch.
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm down 2 in front w/ 165's & I get the same. My thoughts:

135's may help a little, but I think it's the wheels. Personally, I don't like 135's but that's just me. I think the 8 spokes push the wheel outwards.
Do a search on "backspacing" and you'll find lots of discussion about wheels.

I'd bet the "leaning" is due to the car resting on the lower bumpstops. They will disintergrate. Probably one side of yours already has.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
karfer67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks aircooled but i got a ruler out today and found that the driverside rear is almost 3/4 of an inch higher than the other rear. the fronts were only about 1/4 off so that leads me to believe that if i drop that left rear a tick more it will all even out. as for the tires boy i don't know how you do it with 165 tires. i am running 145s and STILL get some rubbing.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: where is it rubbing? Reply with quote

where is it rubbing?
T25 First Year Deisel
95 T4 Bus LWB
75 Golf cl
VEEDUBACE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man, i lowered the front of my 64 notch 2clicks, and i can't even turn my steering wheel at all. i'm running empi 8's w/ 165s. tires rub all over the fenders. i just got some 135s, have to put them on still, i'll keep you posted if they help. forgot to mention that i am running 4lug w/ disc brakes up front.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rustyfastback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lowered my '65 square 3 outer splines up front, cut the bump stops off. I am running 165's with the stock type 3 wide 5 rims & i get a lot of tire rub. This is a project & I do not drive it much yet. I am going with 135's up front. I think the 8 spokes have an offset for a bug (outward towards the fender) this may be part of the problem. Pics of my '65 can be seen in the gallery just search for photos from rustyfastback.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Bubblehead
El Chupa Nibre

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm down one spline running 205's (yeah I know that's fucking wide) with no rub, except ever so slightly on the inner fenders, but they rubbed before I lowered it.
Samba Member #4862
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
localboy
Samba Longboarder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VERT similiar thread...in fact too similiar. Same problem, same wheels.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=107726

Black '65 Resto-Custom S Notch 2110 cc powered
original paint Pearl White '66 Westy SO-42
Allstate single-wheel trailer project
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's the wheels... i got 145's on stock tires and 2 clicks lowered up front and have no problems... and i got a fat ass too. Very Happy
95 Jetta
98 323is
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Iozzio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's right it is the wheels, those Empi 8's have a huge offset that pushes the wheel to the outside towards the fender. If you were to try a stock steel rim or a Porsche 2 liter wheel it would be alot better. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: