Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mein Chop- 1966 roof chop
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Mein Chop- 1966 roof chop Reply with quote

Still working on it. The cold weather and holidays have slowed me a bit. But, I bought a heater and plan on getting some more work done.
One roof, lengthened and not widened. 1960 rear window. It will have a factory rag sun roof. The body is now sitting on an IRS pan. I narrowed the beam 3".

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks for looking!
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if 73 doors will fit my 66 body. I may try another set of doors with less rust. Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJ John wrote:
Does anyone know if 73 doors will fit my 66 body. I may try another set of doors with less rust. Thanks

Door physical size is the same for all Beetles. So fit yes. Even 1964 and older doors will fit but with door window to quarter window line differences.

Now for the issues.

Specifically for your 73 door and 66 body question the biggest issue is the difference between the door latching mechanical type as the window lines are the same.

1967 and newer use a claw and pin mechanism
1966 and prior use the slider mechanism.

Having a 1966 body puts door replacement as a 2 year only door search.
1965 and 1966 doors match the window line and use the slider latch.

Of course....you could always upgrade the body side to match the door....
You now have the info...so now its your choice... Wink

It's obvious you are scared to make serious modifications so changing the body sliding latch to a pin......would be a breeze.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After looking in catalogs I began to notice the two year only door parts. I'll wait till the donor car gets here to make a disicion. Thanks
mtstatemadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Mein Chop- 1966 roof chop Reply with quote

Just came across your post about the chop. How did it turn out and very interested in how you chopped without widening. I'm wanting to chop my 65 and like your chop.
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Mein Chop- 1966 roof chop Reply with quote

It’s sitting as pictured. I really didn’t like leaning the door tops and the B pillars in. This car is rusty and probably just a test. Next time, I would widen the roof, but not at the top of the windshield. So kinda split the A pillars and widen the roof behind it. For me, the wide roof and late windshield combo makes for a funny big wide windshield look.
Not saying you can’t go the non widened roof route. I can take more pics if you need.
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: Mein Chop- 1966 roof chop Reply with quote

NJ John wrote:
This car is rusty and probably just a test. Next time,.....

Rolling Eyes
Why can't you fix this car the way you mention, and progress? It's only cutting metal and welding it to modify it further towards what you like.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Mein Chop- 1966 roof chop Reply with quote

It’s just time and space. I have a 76 standard rust free body. The 66 may donate its front and rear clips at some point.
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Mein Chop- 1966 roof chop Reply with quote

Bye, bye. I’m moving and don’t have much choice.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: