Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rusted and rotten vintage speed exhaust gaskets poor fit
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seanlithman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Rusted and rotten vintage speed exhaust gaskets poor fit Reply with quote

Noticed my vintage speed exhaust was blowing only been in 18 months and the gaskets are compleatly rotten the flanges don't mate together very well but I've seen that you have to use sealent. Anyone else had similar experience?
MacLeod Willy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you file the flanges flat and try not to over torque the nuts
vwjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Rusted and rotten vintage speed exhaust gaskets poor fit Reply with quote

Seen this many times, so I've had these re-useable copper gaskets made.

http://www.vwjim.co.uk/ourshop/prod_5932006-Vintage-Speed-Exhaust-Upgrade-Gaskets.html
blitzkrieg59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Rusted and rotten vintage speed exhaust gaskets poor fit Reply with quote

I'm dealing with this stuff right now. @vwjim, any sources for those reusable copper gaskets? Also, what torque specs are we looking for on these gaskets?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Rusted and rotten vintage speed exhaust gaskets poor fit Reply with quote

Also, replace ALL bolts, washers and nuts to something usefull (A2 70) works well.
vwjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Rusted and rotten vintage speed exhaust gaskets poor fit Reply with quote

Yep, all the hardware supplied with them is mild steel so rots away far too quickly.

In the past I tack welded SS studs in place then fitted brass nuts & locking tab washers
vwjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Rusted and rotten vintage speed exhaust gaskets poor fit Reply with quote

blitzkrieg59 wrote:
I'm dealing with this stuff right now. @vwjim, any sources for those reusable copper gaskets? Also, what torque specs are we looking for on these gaskets?

I made a few sets of copper gaskets, but then found that the Vintage Speed flanges warped out of shape. So the gaskets worked fine on a brand new exhaust but if you tried to fit them on a used exhaust there'd be large gaps.

I now use the CB compression gaskets as they can handle the gaps caused by banana shaped flanges.
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Rusted and rotten vintage speed exhaust gaskets poor fit Reply with quote

One thing that helps with copper gaskets is to heat them red hot or close to it to anneal them when you reuse them.
I used to make them on the water jet machine when I was running it on my last job, I miss that machine.

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
vwjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Rusted and rotten vintage speed exhaust gaskets poor fit Reply with quote

earthquake wrote:
One thing that helps with copper gaskets is to heat them red hot or close to it to anneal them when you reuse them.
I used to make them on the water jet machine when I was running it on my last job, I miss that machine.

eQ

Even with annealed copper the flange gaps were too much and they leaked badly.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: