Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Priming pans
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
STLCAR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject: Priming pans Reply with quote

I am about to get my thing chassis sandblasted the weld in new pans. Along with the chassis they are going to sandblast all the other parts while the car is disassembled. I am wondering on priming and painting it when I get it back what you recommend. I dont have access to a spray gun nor do I want to build a booth to spray it. So I am leaning towards brushing it all (or rattle cans), what primer/paint do you guys recommend me using. Should I brush POR15 on it all?Epoxy primer? I was told I can thin out epoxy primer in a garden sprayer and spray it that way. i am not trying to make a show quality just something that will last and look good to an average Joe. Let me know your thoughts, thanks.
E-boyz67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way is to spray a two part epoxy primer.If you don't have access to both a paint gun and paint booth then I guess that brushing will have to do then. You can reduce primer with reducer a little. Thing is you'll have the brush marks that will be seen on the surface. If you want the surface smooth you'll have to sand them smooth by applying primer surfacer over then sand smooth the brush marks. Then top coat the surfacer.
Remember as soon as you finish blasting don't touch the bare metal with your hands because you'll contaminate the surface. So get it in primer asap. If not then you'll have to wipe the surface clean with a cleaner and clean cloth. When you do that, the lint front the cloth will stuck on the metal from sandblasting and thats a hard thing to get off. You'll end up painting over all the lint. So use rubber gloves and get it home asap and start brushing the epoxy. As long as the metal doesn't get contaminated you just blow the surface of any small dibre and apply the epoxy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
runchman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used master series silver which is supposed to be a very good rust preventative, with black over that.

I wouldn't POR15 it if it were me - I've had bad luck with that in the past on metal that *isn't* rusty, where it would just peel off in sheets if the metal isn't prepped properly.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=532247&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: