Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1978 Sliding Door Latch Curiosity
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Architect1122
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject: 1978 Sliding Door Latch Curiosity Reply with quote

I'm fresh to Type 2's and it's been 15 years since I've served society in keeping anything VW alive and on the road. In reality, it's a far stretch to call myself even a complete amateur in hands on mechanics. In putting together my 2015 VW to do wishlist, I am looking to better my sliding door operation.

Overall, the door operates minimally, but sufficient, for now from the exterior handle (even as I have one screw missing on the rear latch it slides and closes surprisingly well). Before I tackle the continually suggested procedures listed on these forums for maintenance beyond what's listed in the owner's manual, I wanted to seek experience and thoughts on how the exterior handle operated latch works in relation to the latch connected to the cable. I've looked at diagrams and cleaning procedures, while I feel mine is currently misaligned. I would like to see / know how this should come together.

Each of these latches bypass each other and I feel maybe these should line up and interact with each other, is this correct? I have attached pictures. One mechanism is black and the other in silver. I have tried to take pics in the handle up - stationary, and handle down positions. The interior lock does not appear to work and I'm not sure the interior handle operates entirely correct (handle is obviously broken and the tight pinching/twisting brings down my enthusiasm to continually try and identify the current functionality).

Any advice / thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:07 am    Post subject: Sliding Door Reply with quote

Hope these Help!
Thanks to Amskeptic
Sliding Door Hinge Assy Refresh

Thanks to Mayor Ratwell
Sliding Door

Good Luck
Tcash
Architect1122
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super thanks, these will certainly be most helpful. I gather from Ratwell's page that the moving plates should not align as I thought.

Any thoughts on "when" the cable is supposed to actually move or be engaged? If i recall correctly, it did not move when I had the door in the open position and testing operation of both the inside and outside handles.
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know how helpful this might be, but here's my refresh of the sliding door handle mechanism: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7302715#7302715

I hope I'm recalling this accurately: There is a spring inside and toward the rear of the door that "winds up" somewhat as the door is closed. This applies a tension on the lateral cable that increases as the door is closed. There is a threaded end of this cable close to the front end of the door, close to the front handle/latch release mechanism. The adjustment of this end fore/aft will determine how much you need to turn the front handle before the rear latch releases.

There is an 80% accurate detail of this in the Bentley manual. I say 80% as Bentley was too lazy to include late bay changes to the door mechanism. It's worth a look.

One more thing. The front handle/latch release mechanism isn't serviceable. All you can do is clean and grease it. If something inside is bent or worn out, you'll need to replace it. I see them for sale from time-to-time here in the Classifieds, and believe there is even an NOS one for sale right now.
Architect1122
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: Thank you everyone Reply with quote

Wonderful additional detailed info and addenda! This will be a great resource to prepare in cleaning. Having a mental image of what's ahead to include the minor details is priceless.
Architect1122
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: Thank you everyone Reply with quote

Wonderful additional detailed info and addenda! This will be a great resource to prepare in cleaning. Having a mental image of what's ahead to include the minor details is priceless.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: